Trade chips - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Texas Rangers

Trade chips

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade chips

Postby MikeYoung4President » Wed May 30, 2007 4:03 am

So let's be honest. Our only consolation for this season thus far is that we're actually closer to Anaheim than New York is to Boston.

Normally, a good thing. This year, not so much.

So who's on the roster that we should be shopping around, and what can they get us?

Mark Teixeira: He's the most valuable chip we've got. He's walking after 2008. You know it. I know it. We all know it. So while he's got more than 1 1/2 years on his contract, let's get a king's ransom for him. Tim Cowlishaw writes the bounty we can get, and I like the idea.

Sammy Sosa: Past his prime? Older than dirt? Used to be on steroids? Corked bat? He's still on pace for 30 homers, and that should be good for a couple decent prospects.

Kenny Lofton: A veteran center fielder who can help a contending team ('04 Dave Roberts, anyone?)

Eric Gagne: If we can get him the save opps, we can show the world his talent. And a rent-a-closer can get you some decent prospects from, say, the Tigers or Indians. Remember Ugueth Urbina?

Akinori Otsuka: He's not just a rent-a-closer; he's under control through 2009. A 2 1/2 year closer/set-up man is definitely prospect central.

Jack Benoit (sp?): Not quite the same level as above-two, but should be able to draw a mid-level prospect.

Ron Mahay: Same as Jack.

Brad Wilkerson: I wish he had some, ANY, trade value.

So what does this add up to? I think 2 or 3 major-league ready players, plus another 9 to 10 prospects of varying potential.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
MikeYoung4President
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed May 30, 2007 4:15 am

Sounds like you're talking total rebuild. :-o

We've got bats and bullpen, so there's no worry there. The problem is the same as always: Starting Pitching!

Rather than trade everyone away and do a total rebuild, I'd much rather see us trade away a few players who will be gone at the end of the year (like Gagne) for prospects or whatever, and see Hicks open the purse strings to get some solid starting pitching here for next year. We all know our scouting isn't that great though (See Chan Ho Park and Millwood), so we're going to have to really shell out and get someone (preferably two) totally solid.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MikeYoung4President » Wed May 30, 2007 2:39 pm

Teixeira, Benoit, and Otsuka are still arb-eligible. Sosa, Lofton, Gagne, Mahay, and Wilkerson all come off the books this winter.

We know Teix is gonna walk. His value will never be higher and we've had Botts knocking on his door for a couple years now.

It might not be bad to keep Otsuka...a good veteran presence to mentor the youngsters and get us our 15 saves.... Benoit just frustrates me....he can never seem to put it together.

If we do the Teix trade with the Dodgers, our team could look like this next year....

Lineup
LF Catalanatto
2B Kinsler
SS Young
DH Botts
CF Hunter??
1B Loney
3B Blalock
RF Cruz
C Laird

Bench:
C Stewart?
IF Kata?
OF Byrd?
OF Diaz?

Rotation:
Millwood
Padilla (maybe we can trade him?)
Tejeda
McCarthy
Billingsley

Bullpen
LR: Loe
MR: Wilson
MR: Littleton
MR: Feldman
MR: Benoit?
SU: Francisco
CL: Otsuka

I think this would be a pretty solid team going in to next year, especially if we can dump Padilla's contract on someone else and get a better FA. The line-up would be pretty solid, the outfield/DH musical chairs would stop, the bullpen is full of solid young pitchers...

Once again, as you said, the rotation is the crux. If we could trade Padilla, and sign a true ace, we could move Millwood to #2. He's a decent #2. McCarthy and Tejeda and Billingsley would need to stay in the fire (think Maroth/Bonderman/Robertson of Detroit) so they can improve. Patience is the key here.

It's not a total re-build; most of the team, you'll see, would be the same as this year, with a few additions and a year of experience playing under Washington.

I dunno; this seems like a team that should, at least, compete next year.
MikeYoung4President
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Wed May 30, 2007 8:57 pm

I'm not sold that Tex is going to walk at all, I disagree about his current value (it can go much higher - last year hurt him) and that's probably where the difference is.

So we lose Sosa, Lofton, Gagne, Mahay, and Wilkerson. No big loss there.

We keep Tex and Otsuka. Benoit? I don't know. If we can get something worthwhile for him, move him. If not, he's cheap, so hang on to him and see if he can finally figure it out.

Really, if we'll just go sign a stud #1 (not someone they think can be a #1 - a TRUE #1) and a top flight #2, we'll be just fine and in the race. Not all that hard to do really, and quite simple. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MikeYoung4President » Wed May 30, 2007 9:10 pm

So we've gotthese free agents to choose from....

It's not a very encouraging list of SP...Zambrano, maybe? Jennings? Buehrle?? I think the big Z is the best on the market, but can we draw him here?
MikeYoung4President
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Wed May 30, 2007 10:17 pm

MikeYoung4President wrote:So we've gotthese free agents to choose from....

It's not a very encouraging list of SP...Zambrano, maybe? Jennings? Buehrle?? I think the big Z is the best on the market, but can we draw him here?

Not a pretty list. :-/

I'd be very hesitant to give Zambrano a big or long contract. His workload has been quite high (tons of innings) so I wonder if/when his arm will start being an issue (I didn't even draft him for fantasy this year due to that).

I wouldn't mind Buehrle as his home park is notorious for homers, so he would fit in nicely. Not the clear cut #1 I'd want, but as a #2 or #3, that would be fine.

Guess we would have to explore the trade market to get that top flight #1 starter for next year. Either that, or gamble on Zambrano. Hmm.....
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby MikeYoung4President » Thu May 31, 2007 3:24 am

Our 2008 fate rests on the quality of starting pitching....when is this gonna sink in with Hicks & Co.?? :~(
Young to Kinsler to Teixeira

Keeping Rangers fans entertained since 2006
MikeYoung4President
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Thu May 31, 2007 5:30 pm

MikeYoung4President wrote:Our 2008 fate rests on the quality of starting pitching....when is this gonna sink in with Hicks & Co.?? :~(

I think Hicks sort of realizes that. However, I don't think he fully believes it. I also think he's gunshy since Park was a disaster and Millwood hasn't been much better. Those are really the last two "high profile" ;-7 <---note the sarcasm---- starting pitchers we signed and neither turned out very well. Plus Hicks owning the Dallas Stars doesn't help either. No telling how he's bouncing money around, which affects payroll.

Needless to say it's a mess. :-[
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Return to Texas Rangers