Finally, Cindy Sheehan is done. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Finally, Cindy Sheehan is done.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Finally, Cindy Sheehan is done.

Postby sportsaddict » Tue May 29, 2007 12:27 pm

Thank you for leaving us all alone. Move along, now.

FORT WORTH, Texas - Cindy Sheehan, the soldier's mother who galvanized an anti-war movement with her monthlong protest outside
President Bush's ranch, said Tuesday she's done being the public face of the movement.
ADVERTISEMENT

"I've been wondering why I'm killing myself and wondering why the Democrats caved in to
George Bush," Sheehan told The Associated Press while driving from her property in Crawford to the airport, where she planned to return to her native California.

"I'm going home for awhile to try and be normal," she said.

In what she described as a "resignation letter," Sheehan wrote in her online diary on the Daily Kos blog: "Good-bye America ... you are not the country that I love and I finally realized no matter how much I sacrifice, I can't make you be that country unless you want it.

"It's up to you now."

Sheehan began a grass roots peace movement in August 2005 when she camped outside Bush's Crawford ranch for 26 days, demanding to talk with the president about her son's death. Army Spc. Casey Sheehan was 24 when he was killed in an ambush in Baghdad in 2004.

Cindy Sheehan's protest started small but swelled to thousands and quickly drew national attention. Over the next two years, she drew huge crowds as she spoke at protest events. But she also drew criticism for some actions, such as meeting with Hugo Chavez, Venezuela's leftist president.

"I have endured a lot of smear and hatred since Casey was killed and especially since I became the so-called "Face" of the American anti-war movement," Sheehan wrote in the diary.

Kristinn Taylor, spokesman for FreeRepublic.com, which has held pro-troop rallies and counter-protests of anti-war demonstrations, said dwindling crowds at Sheehan's Crawford protests since her initial vigil may have led to her decision. But he also said he hopes she will now be able to heal.

"Her politics have hurt a lot of people, including the troops and their families, but most of us who support the war on terror understand she is hurt very deeply," Taylor said Tuesday. "Those she got involved with in the anti-war movement realize it was to their benefit to keep her in that stage of anger."

When Sheehan first took on Bush, she was a darling of the liberal left. "However, when I started to hold the Democratic Party to the same standards that I held the Republican Party, support for my cause started to erode and the 'left' started labeling me with the same slurs that the right used," she wrote in the diary.

She said she sacrificed a 29-year marriage and endured threats to put all her energy into stopping the war. What she found, she wrote, was a movement "that often puts personal egos above peace and human life."

She said the most devastating conclusion she had reached "was that Casey did indeed die for nothing ... killed by his own country which is beholden to and run by a war machine that even controls what we think."

Sheehan told the AP that she had considered leaving the peace movement since last summer while recovering from surgery.

She decided on Memorial Day to step down and spend more time with her three other children. She said she was returning to California on Tuesday because it was Casey's birthday. He would have been 28.

"We've accomplished as much here as we're going to," Sheehan said, saying she was leaving to change course. "When we come back, it definitely won't be with the peace movement with marches, with rallies and with protests. It will be more humanitarian efforts."

Last year, with $52,500 in insurance money she received after her son's death, Sheehan bought 5 acres near downtown Crawford as a permanent site for protests.

"Camp Casey has served its purpose," she wrote in the diary. "It's for sale. Anyone want to buy five beautiful acres in Crawford, Texas?"

per yahoo http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070529/ap_ ... dy_sheehan
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRock » Tue May 29, 2007 1:02 pm

Funny, I was just thinking of her as I was reading about what her pal Hugo Chavez was up to.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2007/5/29/90351.shtml?s=lh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7K2HdFZiKw
Last edited by TheRock on Tue May 29, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 29, 2007 1:13 pm

Not passing judgment but it seems strange that she would sell the property. She purchased the property in honor of her son. If it was me, I would keep the land and attempt to have it passed down the family generations as a memorial to him.

Some of her actions have definitely been questionable. I think in some ways she ended up disgracing the man she was trying to honor. But I also think most of what she did was fueled by an emotional reaction to a loss I can't even comprehend. Hopefully she can find peace.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue May 29, 2007 1:19 pm

Amazinz wrote:Some of her actions have definitely been questionable. I think in some ways she ended up disgracing the man she was trying to honor. But I also think most of what she did was fueled by an emotional reaction to a loss I can't even comprehend. Hopefully she can find peace.

I really can’t say that I agree with a lot of what she did, and I think I can “forgive her” (although I don’t think that’s the right phrase) for what I would disagree with because of this ^^. She meant well, she meant to protest a war that the majority of the country finds questionable, she meant to honor her son, and she meant to make the world a better place. I have respect for those intentions, if not for the actions she took to actually do all this.

I think in her grief she took steps to make that protest that she may not otherwise have taken (projecting here, since I don’t know her). I think that a lot of people, when confronted with the loss of a loved one, react contrary to how they would normally react in the dispassionate mien we have when it’s someone we didn’t know.

I just hope she can find peace. I know that if my child were killed, even fighting in America’s military, it would wreck me. Actions aside, I can empathize with her grief. That is a burden I hope I never have to bear.

I think that no matter how you look at it, this is a tragic situation.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue May 29, 2007 1:37 pm

I agree with much of her overall message, but I disagree with many of her methods. I also don't like the way that her message, her protest, and to some extent, herself, were adopted--hijacked maybe--by the anti-war, anti-bush movement and some of the far-left media for what seemed to be their own agenda, rather than hers.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Tue May 29, 2007 2:17 pm

Somehow, I doubt this is the last time I'll read/hear her name.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Madison » Tue May 29, 2007 7:09 pm

"Good-bye America ... you are not the country that I love and I finally realized no matter how much I sacrifice, I can't make you be that country unless you want it.

It's not the country's responsibility to change to her taste, whims, or whatever she wants.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue May 29, 2007 8:58 pm

Madison wrote:
"Good-bye America ... you are not the country that I love and I finally realized no matter how much I sacrifice, I can't make you be that country unless you want it.

It's not the country's responsibility to change to her taste, whims, or whatever she wants.

Haven't most of the polls of the majority of us been trending towards getting the heck out of Iraq for some time? I guess that, like Iraq, there is not one USA but several competing groups.

The Cousins' Wars is perhaps the most engaging exploration of this, how the Cavaliers ideology trended southwards (e.g. "Cavaliers") and the Roundheads were installed in the north and ever since we've been after each other... :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Wed May 30, 2007 12:22 am

AcidRock23 wrote:
Madison wrote:

Haven't most of the polls of the majority of us been trending towards getting the heck out of Iraq for some time? I guess that, like Iraq, there is not one USA but several competing groups.

I was commenting in general. She basically said she cannot change the country to be exactly the way she wants it. My response is that it's not this country's responsibility to change to her desires.

If you want to address her specific whiny complaint, then we know she wants us out of Iraq. I want to strongly increase the number of troops, turn this into a real war instead of a policing action, and have the entire thing over and done with in under two weeks (and it would be). Now if the country is supposed to do whatever she wants, isn't the country supposed to do whatever I want too? Obviously it cannot do both in this situation, so they are doing it the way they feel it needs to be done, regardless of how her or I feel. Grown adults can accept that fact. She needs to realize how the real world works. Have her go try to get another country to change to her exact political beliefs and see just how crazy of an expectation that is. If the political policy of the United States isn't something she agrees with, she's free to move, but expecting the government for the entire country to change to suit her wishes is totally absurd.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Big Train » Wed May 30, 2007 7:20 am

Madison wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:
Madison wrote:

I was commenting in general. She basically said she cannot change the country to be exactly the way she wants it. My response is that it's not this country's responsibility to change to her desires.

If you want to address her specific whiny complaint, then we know she wants us out of Iraq. I want to strongly increase the number of troops, turn this into a real war instead of a policing action, and have the entire thing over and done with in under two weeks (and it would be). Now if the country is supposed to do whatever she wants, isn't the country supposed to do whatever I want too? Obviously it cannot do both in this situation, so they are doing it the way they feel it needs to be done, regardless of how her or I feel. Grown adults can accept that fact. She needs to realize how the real world works. Have her go try to get another country to change to her exact political beliefs and see just how crazy of an expectation that is. If the political policy of the United States isn't something she agrees with, she's free to move, but expecting the government for the entire country to change to suit her wishes is totally absurd.

Absurd, yes, but somehow I get the feeling that she was not really suggesting that the country “change to her exact political beliefs” as you put it, but rather she was commenting more generally on the view held by many that the United States is progressively losing its way by having its security, freedoms, and liberties nibbled away by a federal government that carries out deceitful, unjust wars abroad while promoting the notion of omnipresent terrorism at home. Sheehan’s experience at the 2006 State of the Union address personifies this trend. She acquired a seat in the House chamber for President Bush’s 2006 address and came to the event wearing a t-shirt that said, “2245 dead, how many more?” Security officials then arrested and handcuffed Sheehan, charging her with a misdemeanor of “violating the District of Columbia’s code against unlawful or disruptive conduct on any part of the Capitol grounds.” Although the charges were later dropped, the “political powers that be” had clearly made a statement: dissent cannot be tolerated, even if the dissent is in the form of a t-shirt.

Story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11120353/

So really, what is “totally absurd” here? Sheehan and her message (annoying as she is), or the notion that in the post-9/11 world a t-shirt could possibly be viewed by anyone with any common sense as constituting “unlawful or disruptive conduct?”

As for turning the Iraq situation into a “real war” as you put it, I think it’s instructive to recall that the Cindy Sheehan’s of the late 60’s were probably correct in retrospect. When the United States turned their intervention in Vietnam into a full scale military operation and the bodies of U.S. troops began to pile up, Sheehan-like opponents of that war began to ask the logical question that many are starting to ask today: how many more must die before we can declare “success” and go home? The answer turned out to be “many thousands more” and the end result was… the United States now has normalized political and trade relations with Vietnam. With that in mind, how far-fetched is Sheehan’s “whiny complaint”?

Jefferson noted that, “The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.” The blood of the tyrant (Saddam) has been spilled. Is it not the case that enough blood of your fellow patriots has been spilled also?
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to General Talk