Come the deadline... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Come the deadline...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Come the deadline...

Postby davidmarver » Tue May 29, 2007 2:11 am

If the Yankees are still 10-15 games out, can you envision them being sellers? IDK about you, but I think it'd make for one hell of a deadline.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Tue May 29, 2007 2:15 am

Well right now they are only 7.5 out of the playoffs, and I don't see them getting much worse than they are right now. With Clemens' return, I expect they will start winning more games, atleast enough to keep themselves within some kind of a WC race. Though if they absolutely collapse (which means they would have to continue to struggle terribly like this), they might be sellers.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Amazing Oopah » Tue May 29, 2007 2:45 am

With his job on the line, I really can't see Cashman selling off the team :-? :-o I mean, he might as well just clean out his office.

Though I guess if someone new takes over and is given a mandate to 'clean house', then some players might get moved.

Who knows really since the Yankees haven't been in this situation in quite a while.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby nsulham » Tue May 29, 2007 3:42 am

No. I don't think their pride would let them do that for one. Besides, who would go? I highly doubt they'd trade A-Rod but if they're far enough out and the deal is right perhaps. Jeter's not going anywhere. Maybe Abreu, Posada and Giambi but outside of that I can't see them selling anyone off. That's basically a white flag on the season and as long as George is running the team that will never happen, IMO.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue May 29, 2007 3:45 am

nsulham wrote:No. I don't think their pride would let them do that for one. Besides, who would go? I highly doubt they'd trade A-Rod but if they're far enough out and the deal is right perhaps. Jeter's not going anywhere. Maybe Abreu, Posada and Giambi but outside of that I can't see them selling anyone off. That's basically a white flag on the season and as long as George is running the team that will never happen, IMO.

this is how i feel too. i feel like giambi's out of town already and with there being talks of helton and fuentes going to new york, i think they're trying to gear up for a run ;-7 :-t

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Tue May 29, 2007 4:38 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
nsulham wrote:No. I don't think their pride would let them do that for one. Besides, who would go? I highly doubt they'd trade A-Rod but if they're far enough out and the deal is right perhaps. Jeter's not going anywhere. Maybe Abreu, Posada and Giambi but outside of that I can't see them selling anyone off. That's basically a white flag on the season and as long as George is running the team that will never happen, IMO.

this is how i feel too. i feel like giambi's out of town already and with there being talks of helton and fuentes going to new york, i think they're trying to gear up for a run ;-7 :-t

Yeah they have a lot of money saved up too ..

anybody else see Adam Dunn in pinstripes ?
Cincinnati will be selling soon. He could play 1B/OF/DH for them and I am guessing his left handed bat would play well in NY. Then they could lose every game 16-15 versus the usual 16-9 ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Lordrevolution » Tue May 29, 2007 6:16 am

wrveres wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:

Cincinnati will be selling soon. He could play 1B/OF/DH for them and I am guessing his left handed bat would play well in NY. Then they could lose every game 16-15 versus the usual 16-9 ..

You just made me pee my pants. I've got Dunn in my two money leagues, and seeing him in pinstripes would be the hottest thing ever.
Lordrevolution
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue May 29, 2007 5:33 pm

i dont like the Yankees, so i love the way they are right now ..but i dont want to start saying theyre done.
i keep hearing about how theres no way they can catch the RedSox, but with their offensive talent if they can get some consistant pitching they have the ability to go off on some hot streaks. i hope it doesnt happen, but i wouldnt rule it out.

as for selling off players, i actually think it would be a smart move. trade off some vetrans and bring in some young talent to make them stronger for the future. i love to see the Yankees bring in aging vetran after aging vetran past their primes in order to try and win now, and its just not happening.
they should trade off Abreu, give RF to Melky. trade off Posada with the year hes having and bring in a young quality catcher. trade off Giambi for whatever they can get and with the number of teams looking for bullpen help trade off some bullpen guys.

personally i hope the Yankees add more vetran overpriced past their prime players, but i wouldnt say its the best move.
do the Yankees have the quality prospects to trade off for some of the names mentioned?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue May 29, 2007 6:11 pm

wrveres wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:

I don't see a ;-7 sp I will assume that you were being serious but the Yankees need more RH hitters.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Return to Baseball Leftovers