Auction leagues?- $ amt allocated between hitting & pitching - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auction leagues?- $ amt allocated between hitting & pitching

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction leagues?- $ amt allocated between hitting & pitching

Postby Mrt19167 » Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:25 pm

It seems to be that in our league (12 teams $260.00, 23 players 9 pitchers wins/saves/era/whip and 14 hitters avg/hr/rbi/sb. We also have a right to reserve or drop injured players and one free pick during the year to drop and replace a deadwood player) the leaders are thise teams spending more on hitting and less on pitching. Arguably, you generally get what you expect from hitting and are often surprised or rewarded with cheap picks.

I am curious about your thoughts. The last time I had an ace pitching staff my hitting was terrible. our winner last year loaded up on great hittting and picked Dollar starters and 3 decent relievers. he ran away with the league.
Mrt19167

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby The Natural » Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:03 pm

You have to get the right $1 pitchers to do that. Most spend approx 65% on hitting (give or take 5%).
The Natural
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kundog » Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:20 pm

70/30 has worked for me every year. You need to be a very active owner during the season to pull this off.
Life is too short to be uptight, so take a second a smell the cut grass on the baseball field.
kundog
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MRT19167 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:20 pm

You are both correct. you need to hit on some $1-2 straters and you have to be able to make good pick-ups or trades. Also, luck is always a plus.
MRT19167

Postby ukjohn » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:10 pm

This will be my first auction draft, and am looking forward to it.

To answer your question, I have heard a lot of 70-30. I think you just have to go with the flow though. If you see Randy Johnson going for 25, then jump on it. Any bargain you can get, go for it.

I have spent most of my money on one great SP, and a great RP. My keepers are those two, and a ton of hitting bargains. I look to spend a lot of money on hitting, but am not afraid to get another top closer or starter.
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby justinA » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:30 pm

usually it pans out to 65/35 hitting or somewhere around there for the pure fact that there are more hitters in MLB and you draft more on ur team usually. My league is 15 hitters, 10 pitchers, so even if u spend an $11 avg. on all ur players, u will avg. $55 more on hitters inevitably.
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mrt19167 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:50 pm

justin makes a good point. Perhaps the better question si how much per average pitcher ( 9 on the staff ) verus hitter (14 on the roster).
Maybe it is $9.50 per pitcher pitcher and anout $12.50 per hitter.

Your thoughts?
Mrt19167

Postby rotodog » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:05 am

Guys....some thoughts from my experience........Over the last few years I have participated in many drafts.Auction,straight,etc. What I have found is ,the smaller the league,the easier it is to use an unbalanced hitting / pitching split. I dont play in standard 12 team roto leagues anymore because of it. If you play in a standard 5x5 roto league,you can run away with the title by loading up on hitting and grabbing the dollar pitchers.This only because there are only 12 teams and 9 pitchers.That equates out to 108 pitchers total.Within that number you can certainly get enough pitchers at the end for little money or at the end of a draft.The deeper the league,(15 teams,larger rosters,extra categories etc) The harder this is to pull off.In a 15 team league,you need to find an additional 27 pitchers for an active roster(135 total).If there are reserves aloowed on your roster that # of pitchers gets even higher.Between70 and 108 you can still get a servicable starter or Middle reliever that can vulture you some wins or saves.As you start getting past 108,the probability of getting a servicable pitcher that wont kill your other cats,is getting much slimmer.Only the saviest roto player can pull it off in deeper leagues.You still need to understand and know pitching very well to pull it off in a 12 team league .I caution those that dont ,to stick to a balanced team.But the savy player can use a 75/25 split or even an 80/20 to great success.The only problem with this strategy is if a lot of players in your league are using it.In an auction league it will inflate the prices of hitters and devalue the pitchers a bit.If you realize this at the draft,YOU MUST REEVALUATE!!Take the underpriced top pitchers, or in a draft ,If they let pitchers go too far youve got to grab em and pick up your deep positions (OF and 1B) later. Always take what other owners are giving you at a draft!!!Zig when they Zag.
In public Yahoo leagues(which a lot of you play) you can pull this 80/20 split off pretty easily.The average skill of a public league player is a lot less than pay laegues.If you are reading this now and participate in free public leagues, It means you probably are sharper than most in that league ,and on your way to greater success.My previous statements werent intended to insult free league players because there are many savy ones out there.Many of them are here at the CAFE.Itwas only meant to point out the fact that ,if you are here at the Cafe,You are probably way ahead of the competition you will face in your league this year.Take this knowlege and GO WHIP THE PANTS OFF THEM!!!!! ;-D
rotodog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rotodog » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:12 am

One last note.....You still have to make the right choices on hitters and pitchers.You cant consistantly overpay for your hitters in an efffort to load up.If you give a bad roto player a great stategy,the result wont be pretty.On the flip side,I believe you can give a savy roto player a crappy strategy and he will still have some success with it.
rotodog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Sportsline Live Auction

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:14 pm

How did you do an auction at Sportsline? I looked at their rules and they only seem to offer drafts. Does anyone know of any online auction leagues?

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers