Willits will play - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Willits will play

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Willits will play

Postby chalk61 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:49 pm

Has anything changed with Willits? I know he sat yesterday because there was no DH so Anderson had to play LF but with Figgins starting to play better, will the Angels bump Willits from the leadoff spot? I'm curious if I should hold him or drop him for Corey Hart, Felix Pie, or even J.D. Drew.
chalk61
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby B1leper » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:35 pm

IMO, Willits will continue to play, a lot. He'll remain at the top of the lineup either hitting lead off or second, and provides the Angels with solid OBP and speed. Hillenbrand is the big loser.

That said, if Drew is available you have to sang him up. He is not as bad as he's played thus far, and if he's even average in that lineup he'll be a top 30 OF the rest of the year. There is always more adjustment for players who switch leagues than people expect. He'll play better this time around the AL.
B1leper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Shock Wave » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:13 pm

Hopefully he bats second with Figgins batting leadoff. Figgins is coming around and deserves the leadoff spot. I have both players currently on my team but i'll probably drop Willits down the road.
Shock Wave
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby OT2000 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:11 pm

Shock Wave wrote:Hopefully he bats second with Figgins batting leadoff. Figgins is coming around and deserves the leadoff spot. I have both players currently on my team but i'll probably drop Willits down the road.

Well, your leadoff man should have a high OBP... Willits has a .4176 OBP, Figgins has a .2857 (.3516 in his best season.)

If anybody "deserves" to be a leadoff man it isn't the man with the lower OBP.

With as well and consistent Willits is playing I doubt he's going anywhere.
OT2000
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby B1leper » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:56 pm

OT2000 wrote:
Shock Wave wrote:Hopefully he bats second with Figgins batting leadoff. Figgins is coming around and deserves the leadoff spot. I have both players currently on my team but i'll probably drop Willits down the road.

Well, your leadoff man should have a high OBP... Willits has a .4176 OBP, Figgins has a .2857 (.3516 in his best season.)

I agree with everything you said. 2 "hot" weeks by Figgins isn't going to change who he is.

Willits >> Figgins.
B1leper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby skapur20 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:44 pm

B1leper wrote:
OT2000 wrote:

I agree with everything you said. 2 "hot" weeks by Figgins isn't going to change who he is.

Willits >> Figgins.

but 1 "hot" month by willits and thats going to change everything??

dont get me wrong, reggie is a solid player, but im not completely sold on him yet. hes been great while we had some injuries, but i wouldnt be suprised if he didnt keep up this all year. my moneys on figgins gettin figgy wit it the rest of year. or at least through june and july his best months
ummm lets go angels? :)
skapur20
College Coach
College Coach

Postby B1leper » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:04 pm

"but 1 "hot" month by willits and thats going to change everything??

dont get me wrong, reggie is a solid player, but im not completely sold on him yet. hes been great while we had some injuries, but i wouldnt be suprised if he didnt keep up this all year. my moneys on figgins gettin figgy wit it the rest of year. or at least through june and july his best months"

Willits hasn't been hot for 1 month. He has done exactly what he's doing now throughout his career. He hit over .300 at every stop in the minor leagues, except .285 in 2004 in A ball. His lowest OBP in the minors was .374. He stole 40 bases 2 times and 30 bases 2 times. Counting last year and this year he as a MLB career BA of .308 and an OBP of .413. I don't think its any coincidence that the Angels hot streak and improved offense happened when GA went on the shelf and Willits was inserted into the lineup full time.

Figgins has not come close to those types of BA/OBP #'s in his entire career. Chone is a wonderful player. His versatility and speed are huge contributions to the Angels. But a two week hot streak will not change who he is-- a .270/.330 utility guy. He'll cool off soon and regress to the mean.
B1leper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby OT2000 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:27 pm

either way..

Willits and Figgins are playing like studs and it sounds like they can co-exhist.

win-win

cheers ;D
OT2000
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Laean » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:52 pm

B1leper wrote:"but 1 "hot" month by willits and thats going to change everything??

dont get me wrong, reggie is a solid player, but im not completely sold on him yet. hes been great while we had some injuries, but i wouldnt be suprised if he didnt keep up this all year. my moneys on figgins gettin figgy wit it the rest of year. or at least through june and july his best months"

Willits hasn't been hot for 1 month. He has done exactly what he's doing now throughout his career. He hit over .300 at every stop in the minor leagues, except .285 in 2004 in A ball. His lowest OBP in the minors was .374. He stole 40 bases 2 times and 30 bases 2 times. Counting last year and this year he as a MLB career BA of .308 and an OBP of .413. I don't think its any coincidence that the Angels hot streak and improved offense happened when GA went on the shelf and Willits was inserted into the lineup full time.

Figgins has not come close to those types of BA/OBP #'s in his entire career. Chone is a wonderful player. His versatility and speed are huge contributions to the Angels. But a two week hot streak will not change who he is-- a .270/.330 utility guy. He'll cool off soon and regress to the mean.

not taking sides between willits and figgins, but why is figgins a .270 avg .330 obp guy now? he hit .296 in half a season in 2003, .296 in all of 2004, then .290 in all of 2005. one bad year, and an injured/incomplete 2007 doesn't automatically make him a .270 hitter.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers