Does anyone use baseball monster? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does anyone use baseball monster?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Does anyone use baseball monster?

Postby SirGrotius » Mon May 28, 2007 10:38 am

I was wondering if anyone uses baseball monster? If you do, how do you use it effectively? What I've been finding so far are some weird results.
SirGrotius
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Does anyone use baseball monster?

Postby jswede » Mon May 28, 2007 11:10 am

SirGrotius wrote:I was wondering if anyone uses baseball monster? If you do, how do you use it effectively? What I've been finding so far are some weird results.

from time to time. Sometimes I find it's not updated since the previous day, but otherwise seems spot on as far as core stats.

Are you talking about their rankings?
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

baseballmonster.com

Postby jaronson » Mon May 28, 2007 11:11 am

I hadn't heard of it before I read your post. It looks like it might be a decent site to add to my toolbox. Thanks, SirGrotius.

Can you give examples of the "weird results" you are finding?
jaronson
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jswede » Mon May 28, 2007 1:08 pm

I'm guessing SirGrotious means the overall rankings are "weird" - this due to the fact that the categories are weighted proportionally to scarcity, I believe. (ie a high SB guy deviates more from the SB mean than the a high HR, rbi or run guy does from that respective mean - so the high SB guy get a higher overall boost in score)
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nebgib5 » Mon May 28, 2007 5:31 pm

an excellent resource for basketball (none better), a decent one for baseball. the pitching rankings are significantly out of whack IMO, due to things like the fact that k's are just counted straight up (i.e. 35 k's in 80 innings is worth more than 32 k's in 25 innings), which messes with roto rankings. the batter rankings are quite solid for roto i think.
nebgib5
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby nebgib5 » Mon May 28, 2007 5:32 pm

jswede wrote:I'm guessing SirGrotious means the overall rankings are "weird" - this due to the fact that the categories are weighted proportionally to scarcity, I believe. (ie a high SB guy deviates more from the SB mean than the a high HR, rbi or run guy does from that respective mean - so the high SB guy get a higher overall boost in score)

correct- guys are given values according to how many standard deviations they are from the mean, which is actually a pretty effective way to look at value for roto.
nebgib5
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Baseball Leftovers