Fausto Carmona - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Fausto Carmona

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fausto Carmona

Postby mhdynomite » Mon May 28, 2007 6:41 am

Is Fausto Carmona for real or is he just hot right now?
mhdynomite
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Crystalstorm » Mon May 28, 2007 8:12 am

I wish he got more K's,but he is for real.Plus he has a very good Offense to back him.He should have plenty more W's coming,with a very good ERA and WHIP the rest of the year.
Crystalstorm
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MVP Weedman Favre » Mon May 28, 2007 11:14 am

He has a very good team ;-D yes Tribe but his K/BB will ctach up to I am saying 4.2 ERA on the season still a fantasy player in 12 team leauges borderline in 10.
MVP Weedman Favre
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby morphism » Mon May 28, 2007 11:15 am

I think he is for real. I just put a waiver claim in for him in my ROTO mixed league. He is a solid #3, high-end #4 starter (only lacks in Ks).
morphism
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Ursa » Mon May 28, 2007 11:26 am

Started him last night when I was leading ERA by a tiny margin but 2 Ks behind. He got the 3 Ks I needed but gave up one run too many. I watched the entire game and with a little more luck that 3 run inning would have been one run, tops. He's an inning eater who will give you Ws and keep ERA healthy. WHIP, not so sure and Ks, well you'll need to look elsewhere.

I'm certainly hanging on to him.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Doughhead » Mon May 28, 2007 11:52 am

He's really interesting to watch. His big pitch is a very hard sinker, which he uses to induce ground balls. He doesn't strike a lot of people out, so a lot of balls are put into play. From what I've seen so far, that's a double-edged sword--because so many balls get put into play, he ends up giving up a lot of weird hits (infield singles, ground balls that find a hole in the infield defense, plays that make the defense help him out...) However, he also gets out of a lot of jams by getting lots of DPs.

When things are going well, he throws 10 pitches, gets 3 ground balls to his infielders, and heads back to the dugout. When he doesn't get the breaks, those ground balls turn into hits and runs. Take the third inning of Sunday night's game for example (the only inning in which the Tigers scored). With runners on first and third and one out, Carmona jammed Sheffield and got him to a hit a ground ball--however, it was hit hard enough up the middle that all Peralta could do was dive, knock it down, and keep it in the infield. Sheff was safe on the infield hit and both runners advanced. Carmona then made a nice pitch to Ordonez to induce a tailor-made inning-ending double play. However, the ball found a whole between 3B and SS, another runner scored, and the inning continued. Carmona got the next two batters to get out of it, but that's how it goes. If those ground balls find holes, he'll be in trouble. However, when they get hit to fielders, he'll be very efficient and effective.

The thing I like about Carmona is that he seems to play with confidence and his sinker should be a consistent out-pitch for him. I think he's for real.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Secret Avatar » Mon May 28, 2007 1:48 pm

He's an extreme ground-ball pitcher without a K pitch. The lack of Ks will limit his fantasy upside, but otherwise his wins, ERA, and WHIP should be solid. Definately not a rotation anchor but I'll bet he finishes 2007 with better fantasy numbers than a number of better-known and higher-priced SP.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Injuries & Player Updates