Golf Club Advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Golf Club Advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Golf Club Advice

Postby RyanK » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:21 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Ok, so I'm looking to pick up two hybrids in the 18 and 24 degree neighborhoods. I've heard from literally a dozen people that Cobra is the way to go, as people are swearing by those rescue clubs.

check out the mizuno hyrids... a lot of people over look mizuno because it lacks a name in the golf world.. their new driver, the mx-500, im highly considering buying after just hitting it on the range.. felt nice and had a solid flight to it.
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:27 am

I am not good by any means but I have a 64 degree wedge that I swear by. I suck but around (not on) the greens, I am money with it. 80 yards out, I am on the stick. Shorter, I can take a little off or do what I need to. Around the green?? I can loft or deloft it according to the shot. I know what you mean, though. Too many people don't know how to use it.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:44 am

moonhead wrote:that's the thing. not many people know how to use one. as well as why i qualified it with the high handicapper comment. and it's not like you can't get the same effect by taking a sand wedge and laying the blade open a bit. i don't believe there is any reason to dedicate one of the 14 you're allowed to carry for just one type of shot (that you may not even get to use once in a round...not like a putter). it's a pretty limited club, and i think over used and overrated. but to each their own.

A high handicapper is a high handicapper because of their swing .. not what's in their bag. The shots they're going to throw away with a 56° or 60°wedge they're going to throw away with any other club they try to use. So then why not give them something that will give them a fighting chance from the places they're going to be playing from most of the time like deep bunkers, tight lies, deep rough and short sided approaches? Personally I find laying open a standard 52°or 54° wedge (which usually come with 12°+ of bounce) a lot tougher than taking a 58° or 60° wedge with virtually no bounce and just swinging normally .. especially from the fairway/tight lies. I suppose it's because I'm more in the Pelz 4x4 camp as opposed to stuffing my bag full of clubs I'm going to hit only 3-4 times a round like a bunch of woods and hybrids.

EDIT: And I'm not saying put a 60° in your bag so you can hit a crazy flop shot, I never do that yet couldn't imagine playing without mine.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby RyanK » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:25 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I'm not saying put a 60° in your bag so you can hit a crazy flop shot, I never do that yet couldn't imagine playing without mine.

I have mine in my bag.. i dont use it much, id rather chip with a 8 iron close to the green and get a nice little roll with it, and some reason ive grown use to being able to chip great with my 56 degree when im in the rough around the green 20 yards or closer
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:45 am

RyanK wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I'm not saying put a 60° in your bag so you can hit a crazy flop shot, I never do that yet couldn't imagine playing without mine.

I have mine in my bag.. i dont use it much, id rather chip with a 8 iron close to the green and get a nice little roll with it, and some reason ive grown use to being able to chip great with my 56 degree when im in the rough around the green 20 yards or closer

I'm not suggesting that anyone go out and exclusively chip with a 60° wedge or use it exclusively from 80 yards in .. all I'm saying is give yourself the tools to give yourself the best chance to have your next shot be a putt on the green when you put it in trouble. If I've got 30 feet of deep rough or a bunker between me and the green and the pin is only a handful of paces on then I'm going to want as much loft as possible to get it a) on the green and b) hope I can keep it close.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:39 am

The number of times a golfer uses a certain club on the golf course varies A LOT, even the putter.

I've had rounds with 22 putts and rounds with 40 putts. There are rounds where I hit the driver once or twice, others I will hit it the maximum (usually 14 times). It all depends on many variables (course, weather, your swing, your mental state - pos or neg)

Here comes my crappy analogy:
Golf clubs are tools. They should be used to complete tasks on the golf course.
-When you are short sided, you will want to use your lob wedge to hit a flop.
-If you happen to be in the woods about 170 yards away, a 3 or 4 iron may be needed to punch underneath the limbs.
-Tee shot at #18 with the pressure on. Water right, OB left and the holes only 340 yards long. Take a 3 iron (or 2 iron in my case) and hit a stinger down the pipe.

Take it from someone who plays in college right now can probably beat you with one club if you can't break 90 (Because I can manage the course like a pro...OBV brag)... each club is a tool, and each shot is another task you need to perform using one of your 14 tools. If you are serious about the game, be serious about the clubs you use and think about which shots give you trouble and work on them. If you enjoy the game as a 'weekend social hacker'... then don't waste the money on a brand new club(s)... because saving 2 or 3 strokes probably will not enhance your experience on the course
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to General Talk