Golf Club Advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Golf Club Advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Field » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:29 pm

I've seem to have lost my driver swing over the winter, and I'm definitely considering getting a hybrid club. I've been hitting 3/4 iron off the tee so far this year. On most holes its enough even if its a par five. You won't get there in 2 but usually not having the option is the best bet for a golfer who shoots over 90.

I went to Sports Authority and checked out the selection real quick when I had to go there to pick up something else. It seems that most hybrid are right around $100.

Does anyone know which hybrid gets the most distance off the tee?
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RyanK » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:34 pm

sox 06 wrote:
SniperShot wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I'm still playing with the first set I ever owned, which I bought used for $75 seven years ago. I'd like to upgrade and get a decent set of clubs, but it's a minor miracle when I break 100, so I can't justify spending the money until I have the time (and money) to play more than once a month. If quality clubs would decrease my score by three strokes from like 88 to 85, it might be worth it, but if it's the difference between shooting 112 and 109, I'm not going to spend the dough.
I went from shooting 105 to 95 easy when I stopped using top flight and changed to titleist and nike golf balls. Top flights are like flying rocks. Which probably explains why they are so cheap and why everyone uses them. Lower compression balls are better too unless you have a very fast club head speed.

I refuse to play with Top "Rock" balls anymore. Its only Titleist and Nike for me now also.

I like bridgestone and callaway... though i havent bought golf balls in about 4-5 years and usually play around with whatever since if i lose it i dont look for it.

I use to golf alot in high school, then the past two years its been cut down a lot, last year i only played 5 times... this year ive only played 18 once but 9 a few times. Might go play 18 later if it doesnt rain.

I agree that the most shots are lost on the green, it does no good to hit the green in reg then 3 putt... something i do a lot of :-°

as for clubs, Im not a huge fan of the hybrids for myself, but for someone who has a easy swing coming off shoulder surgery, putting a few in your bag probably wont hurt since they are a lot more forgiving than irons.
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Re: Golf Club Advice

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:49 pm

Ok, so I'm looking to pick up two hybrids in the 18 and 24 degree neighborhoods. I've heard from literally a dozen people that Cobra is the way to go, as people are swearing by those rescue clubs. All I need to add to round out my set now is some sort of flop wedge and a putter. Golf Galaxy had about a dozen left-handed putters, none of which I fancied. Without having to run there myself (I'm lazy), do Dick's and/or Sports Authority carry larger left-handed selections, and if so, are the prices reasonable? I'm trying to keep my putter under $100 if possible. Any recommendations? I've heard good things about Odyssey, but most of what I saw from them tend to run $129 - 139 and up, and as I said, I'm trying to set a price of $99.99 and below, if possible. I've always felt that a putter tended to be more of a feeling good to you club than anything else, but I haven't played in a long enough period where I'm not fully sure what type of advancements have been made. What do you guys carry?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:20 pm

I suppose I should get some new clubs, since the ones I have are getting to be too small and were bought pretty old and used. I don't even have a driver. I get 10% off the wholesale price of anything in the pro shop at the golf course I work at and I'm going to be playing a lot more this summer than I used to since I can play there for free, but as Art said, I just can't justify the money just to improve my score from 112 to a 109.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:58 pm

I just played the other day. And I shot a 101. My worst score in at least a year!

46 on the first 9 and 55 on the back. It was a meltdown of epic proportions on the 15th. I was in a greenside bunker and hit the ball so squarely it ended up going 100 yards over the green onto the fairway of the next hole. (With short bunker shots you want to hit a good inch behind the ball, not all ball.) Coming back I duffed the wedge shot so it went only about 60 yards. Then I had a beautiful 3 putt, I left with an 8, double par.

And what kills me this same hole I birded just last week. 5 shot difference in just one hole. Golf is great isn't it? :b
SniperShot
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

Eagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:17 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:My one friend has this ridiculous flop wedge that he swears by, but me being left-handed, I'm limited on what I can test out. B-)

As well he should -- that's where you're gonna save your strokes. B-)

that is the worst advice i have ever heard. don't get a lob wedge. they cost more strokes than they save. especially for a high handicapper.

check out the ping rapture stuff. great hybrids there. can't go wrong with taylor made stuff either. my dad is a club pro, and i worked as an assistant pro at several courses and clubs. gimme a PM, if you want some more in depth info.
strangers passing in the street
by chance two separate glances meet
and i am you and what i see is me
moonhead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:50 pm

moonhead wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:My one friend has this ridiculous flop wedge that he swears by, but me being left-handed, I'm limited on what I can test out. B-)

As well he should -- that's where you're gonna save your strokes. B-)

that is the worst advice i have ever heard. don't get a lob wedge. they cost more strokes than they save. especially for a high handicapper.

Not if you know how to use it. The reason it costs bad golfers strokes is they don't know how to use a high lofted club. They try to scoop it up in the air and don't let it do the work for them. Once you know what you're doing with it you'd be hard pressed to say it doesn't save strokes around the green. You can't always take a 7I and "use it like a putter".

As for putters I haven't looked at anything in the last 5-6 years, but most of the new ones now are running in the $100+ range .. at least anywhere I've ever seen. You may be able to find/ask about any older models they may still have in stock but just not out on display. If you can find anything that way it'll probably be substantially cheaper. That's how I found a couple of my clubs.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby sox 06 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:54 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Ok, so I'm looking to pick up two hybrids in the 18 and 24 degree neighborhoods. I've heard from literally a dozen people that Cobra is the way to go, as people are swearing by those rescue clubs. All I need to add to round out my set now is some sort of flop wedge and a putter. Golf Galaxy had about a dozen left-handed putters, none of which I fancied. Without having to run there myself (I'm lazy), do Dick's and/or Sports Authority carry larger left-handed selections, and if so, are the prices reasonable? I'm trying to keep my putter under $100 if possible. Any recommendations? I've heard good things about Odyssey, but most of what I saw from them tend to run $129 - 139 and up, and as I said, I'm trying to set a price of $99.99 and below, if possible. I've always felt that a putter tended to be more of a feeling good to you club than anything else, but I haven't played in a long enough period where I'm not fully sure what type of advancements have been made. What do you guys carry?

I bought my Odyssey putter at Dicks for $69.99, I think it was on sale though.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby moonhead » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:57 pm

moonhead wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:As well he should -- that's where you're gonna save your strokes. B-)

Not if you know how to use it. The reason it costs bad golfers strokes is they don't know how to use a high lofted club. They try to scoop it up in the air and don't let it do the work for them. Once you know what you're doing with it you'd be hard pressed to say it doesn't save strokes around the green. You can't always take a 7I and "use it like a putter".

As for putters I haven't looked at anything in the last 5-6 years, but most of the new ones now are running in the $100+ range .. at least anywhere I've ever seen. You may be able to find/ask about any older models they may still have in stock but just not out on display. If you can find anything that way it'll probably be substantially cheaper. That's how I found a couple of my clubs.

that's the thing. not many people know how to use one. as well as why i qualified it with the high handicapper comment. and it's not like you can't get the same effect by taking a sand wedge and laying the blade open a bit. i don't believe there is any reason to dedicate one of the 14 you're allowed to carry for just one type of shot (that you may not even get to use once in a round...not like a putter). it's a pretty limited club, and i think over used and overrated. but to each their own.
strangers passing in the street
by chance two separate glances meet
and i am you and what i see is me
moonhead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SniperShot » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:14 pm

I have a lob wedge and it's insane. It's called "The Last wedge" It's 68 degrees I think.

Anyway if I hit it right it'll go about 70 feet in the air and go about 20 yards. If I hit it wrong in anyway it'll go about 90 yards and 5 feet off the ground.

For this reason it sits in the garage collecting dust only to be used in the backyard for practice chipping and when you want to freak the guy out next to you on the driving range.
SniperShot
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

Eagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk