Golf Club Advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Golf Club Advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SniperShot » Thu May 31, 2007 12:33 pm

Hitting a 3 iron right is one of the toughest things to do. I started going with 5wood instead of 3 iron from 180 yards or so and it saved bunches of strokes on my game.
SniperShot
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

Eagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:58 pm

Get to know your local golf pro at the course you play at. These guys get ridiculous discounts on everything and most of the time cycle through clubs. See if he could get you a discount or even if he had some "older" clubs. As for the hybrids I recommend them, I have a 3-4 HL from the PING set I have and they're really nice to hit easy without trying too hard to get a regular 3 or 4 iron in the air.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:07 pm

I'm still playing with the first set I ever owned, which I bought used for $75 seven years ago. I'd like to upgrade and get a decent set of clubs, but it's a minor miracle when I break 100, so I can't justify spending the money until I have the time (and money) to play more than once a month. If quality clubs would decrease my score by three strokes from like 88 to 85, it might be worth it, but if it's the difference between shooting 112 and 109, I'm not going to spend the dough.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:26 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I'm still playing with the first set I ever owned, which I bought used for $75 seven years ago. I'd like to upgrade and get a decent set of clubs, but it's a minor miracle when I break 100, so I can't justify spending the money until I have the time (and money) to play more than once a month. If quality clubs would decrease my score by three strokes from like 88 to 85, it might be worth it, but if it's the difference between shooting 112 and 109, I'm not going to spend the dough.

No matter what kind of equipment you have, practice is the only way to get significantly better. But at the same time if the clubs you're using aren't matched to your swing or ability level -- I doubt there are many 12 handicaps out there who could break 100 with Tigers clubs -- that could be making a bad situation worse. I'm not saying you'll go from bogey golf to scratch, but -- while it's a bit overrated due to the manufacturers marketing schemes IMO -- having the right equipment is still important. And who knows, if you get those new clubs and start hitting it better you may just play more often. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:34 pm

OhMrScottyTrav06 wrote:A lot of weekend hackers can't hit a 3 or 4 iron worth crap. Go try out some hybrid's and see what you prefer.

That's interesting. I know people struggle with them, I just don't know why. I've always done really well with the longer irons. I can't use fairway woods worth a crap though, so I did pick up a hybrid to bridge the gap from my 3 iron (210-220) to my driver. Also especially useful on the Par 5s.

The thing I struggle the most with is driving the ball consistently. One hole I'm 280-300 right down the middle, the next I pop it up about 100 yards, and the next a nasty slice shows up. :-[
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:41 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:That's interesting. I know people struggle with them, I just don't know why. I've always done really well with the longer irons. I can't use fairway woods worth a crap though, so I did pick up a hybrid to bridge the gap from my 3 iron (210-220) to my driver. Also especially useful on the Par 5s.

I'm the same way. Relative to my overall ability I'm pretty proficient throughout my set. I'd like to be a little more consistent with my distance control, but I can get 3 and 4 irons airborne quite easily. I think so many people have trouble with them because they think they're somehow different from a 9I or PW. I try to put the same swing on all my irons, no matter which one I happen to have in my hand and that seems to be the key .. for me anyway.

Big Pimpin wrote:The thing I struggle the most with is driving the ball consistently. One hole I'm 280-300 right down the middle, the next I pop it up about 100 yards, and the next a nasty slice shows up. :-[

Just do what I do, leave the driver at home and hit irons off of all the tees. If I'm feeling really confident I may even bust out the 5 or even .. *gasp* 3W. :*)
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby SniperShot » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:24 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I'm still playing with the first set I ever owned, which I bought used for $75 seven years ago. I'd like to upgrade and get a decent set of clubs, but it's a minor miracle when I break 100, so I can't justify spending the money until I have the time (and money) to play more than once a month. If quality clubs would decrease my score by three strokes from like 88 to 85, it might be worth it, but if it's the difference between shooting 112 and 109, I'm not going to spend the dough.
I went from shooting 105 to 95 easy when I stopped using top flight and changed to titleist and nike golf balls. Top flights are like flying rocks. Which probably explains why they are so cheap and why everyone uses them. Lower compression balls are better too unless you have a very fast club head speed.
SniperShot
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

Eagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:40 pm

SniperShot wrote:
I went from shooting 105 to 95 easy when I stopped using top flight and changed to titleist and nike golf balls. Top flights are like flying rocks. Which probably explains why they are so cheap and why everyone uses them. Lower compression balls are better too unless you have a very fast club head speed.

Clubs can make a big difference in your game also. You do end up with a slight advantage.

Oh, and I never use a driver. In fact, I don't even own one.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:05 am

Yoda wrote:
SniperShot wrote:

Clubs can make a big difference in your game also. You do end up with a slight advantage.

Oh, and I never use a driver. In fact, I don't even own one.

What's your heaviest club then? I rarely use my driver because I haven't been able to figure it out, but on those long par 5s when the other guys are hitting them so far, you have to use it just to try to stay close. Do you use your smaller woods, hybrids?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk