Golf Club Advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Golf Club Advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Golf Club Advice

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 28, 2007 1:11 am

Ok, so during Jr. High and High School I golfed 3 or more times a week, played in tournaments, etc. My entire family golfs, and all do so pretty well. When I graduated High School I was shooting low to mid-90s, but haven't golfed since I separated and dislocated my shoulder about five years ago. Just recently I've managed to get my shoulder to a place where I can swing a golf club well enough at the range to the point where I feel I can get through an entire round pain free, so I'm looking to get back into playing this Spring/Summer.

Well, a great deal came my way today on a new set of clubs; a set of 6 - 9 + PW Taylor Made r7 irons, and a Callaway X460 Driver I got brand new for $300 plus shipping costs from a buddy's brother who is a golf pro in the Syracuse area.

Well, I've been investigating how I want to fill out the set, and I've been looking at the new(er) hybrid clubs. I was considering picking up two different degree hybrids to replace fairway woods as well as my 3 - 5 irons. I've never swung one, nor do I know how they play, but for you guys who play often or have used them, what did you think? Are they good clubs? Worthy of using en lieu of both fairway woods and low irons? I've heard mixed reviews from some of my buddies who golf as regularly as I used to still, and I'm looking to get back into it in a big way.

Also, other than adding a Sand Wedge and a Putter, any other clubs you'd recommend adding to my bag? My one friend has this ridiculous flop wedge that he swears by, but me being left-handed, I'm limited on what I can test out. B-)

Thanks for your help in advance guys.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Golf Club Advice

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon May 28, 2007 1:50 am

bigh0rt wrote:My one friend has this ridiculous flop wedge that he swears by, but me being left-handed, I'm limited on what I can test out. B-)

As well he should -- that's where you're gonna save your strokes. B-)

I know what it's like trying to find a decent selection since mine are flat on the wrong side too, but that's probably more of a good thing really .. that way you don't over analyze everything (like I would do otherwise) trying to pick the "right" one. :-b I'd definitely recommend going to any decent golf shop -- a real golf place, not Dicks or something like that -- where they'll let you hit a few balls and see what you think. Maybe even go to a used club store, there are bound to be a few of those around. I've found lots of great deals there. I got an Anser2 that was a couple years old but in unbelievable shape for $30. And a nice off brand 60° for $25. B-)

As for the hybrids, I've never hit one, but I've never heard anyone say anything bad about em -- I mean even top Tour pros like Phil are using them now. Maybe take my advice on the wedges and try a few out at a golf shop somewhere? If they've got the facilities on site and are really interested in making a sale they won't object to you hitting a few to get a feel for it.

Since you're just starting out again I'd definitely concentrate on the short game stuff though and get that down ... that's really where you're gonna make hay the first few times out. ;-D And also take a few lessons .. I'm serious. You'd be amazed at what a pair of trained eyes will catch in just an hour lesson. I was pushing everything I hit all year and he immediately saw what I was doing wrong .. something that would've taken me all year to figure out, if ever.

Anyway .. sorry for the rambling nonesene but I'll never pass up an opportunity to talk some golf. :-]
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 28, 2007 2:14 am

We just recently had a Planet Golf (I think that's the name of the place) open literally 3 - 4 weeks ago that people are saying they are still having great Opening Sales on, so I'll definitely be taking a trip there sometime this week. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby Fireball Express » Mon May 28, 2007 2:17 am

I have a Ben Hogan 5208 wedge and a 5612 sand wedge in my bag. I love them both. I swear by Hogan wedges. My father swore by Hogan wegdes.

Besides a driver I carry a 5 and 7 wood, both Cobra Cavity Back. I especially like the 7 wood. I'm sure there are bigger and badder (and more expesive) woods out there now. These were bought quite a while ago.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Mon May 28, 2007 8:03 am

bigh0rt wrote:We just recently had a Planet Golf (I think that's the name of the place) open literally 3 - 4 weeks ago that people are saying they are still having great Opening Sales on, so I'll definitely be taking a trip there sometime this week. ;-D

Just test them out. ;-D It depends on how you shoot and what you prefer. I used to use my 5-wood from between 120-220. I couldn't hit irons but could take something off of the 5-wood when necessary. Now, I hit the irons. As for a flop wedge, I was always told to use as little loft as possible from around the greens to get the ball rolling ASAP (unless you have to get over something to a tight pin). I always disagreed because I was able to use my 64 degree wedge well. I just increase or decrease the loft of it according to need. You can probably get a cheap 1 at Sports Authority. I just got a cheap McGregor and it works fine.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Yoda » Mon May 28, 2007 8:55 am

Flop wedges are great. Don't golf without one.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby sox 06 » Mon May 28, 2007 9:55 am

but me being left-handed, I'm limited on what I can test out

I'm a lefty so I feel your pain :-[

I just started using hybrids last summer and I thought I had wasted my money, until I started hitting them. I got the Ping G5 hybrids and I use them multiple times a round. They are much easier to hit out of the fairway/rough than fairway woods are. You will use them. The Pings, at least for me, aren't very forgiving but when you hit them good, the ball is really easy to control. I just bought one hyrbid (19 degree or around a 3 iron) and I love it. I've also heard and eyed the Adams golf hybrid iron set and I've heard its really good.

As far as wedges go, I use the Ping Tour wedges. The tour lob wedge is alright but the pitching wedge is great. As far as putters go, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Odyssey putters. I've had the DFX 3300 for a couple of years now and its awesome.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby ayebatter » Mon May 28, 2007 9:55 am

Try a bunch of putters, more shots are lost on the green than anywhere else. Don't go hunting for the flag with a lob wedge 'till you've been back for a while, just shoot for the middle of the green and break out your putter. The hybrids play a bit more like an iron than a fairway wood, but they are easier to hit than a 3-4 iron. By all means get at least one fairway wood. Remember, at this point bogie golf is good golf. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 28, 2007 11:39 am

My dad gave me an extra hybrid that he had lying around a couple of years ago and it's a pretty sweet club. It doesn't pound it out quite the same way that a driver will but I find it very easy to hit, particularly in the rough where I spend about 75% of my time....
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Thu May 31, 2007 7:40 am

A lot of weekend hackers can't hit a 3 or 4 iron worth crap. Go try out some hybrid's and see what you prefer.
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Next

Return to General Talk