Can Sergio Mitre keep it up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can Sergio Mitre keep it up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue May 29, 2007 3:26 am

you quoted me but took out my joking smiley. :-t are you trying to frame me :-?

yeah i have a feeling people are going to pick up him only for him to get touched up alittle this week in chi-town.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue May 29, 2007 4:27 am

Snakes Gould wrote:you quoted me but took out my joking smiley. :-t are you trying to frame me :-?

yeah i have a feeling people are going to pick up him only for him to get touched up alittle this week in chi-town.

that must have been a keystroke accident .. my bad
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue May 29, 2007 2:30 pm

I grabbed him at the end of last week, and unfortunately his coming start @CHN was my best 5th-starter alternative. :-o

Anyway, I grabbed him because the numbers look legit:
  • His K rate is in line with career and league norms.
  • His BB rate is at a career low, but it's getting better each game - not worse.
  • His HR rate is his biggest area of improvement.
  • Hit and Strand rates are normal, and his GB/FB rate isn't anomalous.
Basically, we don't have to worry that he's getting lucky right now. That alone means he's a reasonable investment based on recent performance. Beyond that, make sure you keep an eye on the BB or HR numbers. If they start to creep up, the Golden Age might be ending meaning it's time to sell high.

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Tue May 29, 2007 2:44 pm

I was able to pick him up for a spot start last week and ended up hanging on to him.

My question is why is everyone so worried about him starting @ CHC??? Is it that the Cubs offense is so great or the park or the away start? I liked this start personally but you guys are making me a little more suspect.

:-?
TN_Titans_05
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 5 » Tue May 29, 2007 2:45 pm

I wouldn't be worried about the Cubs offense

but it is time for Mitre to get hit around a bit.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Tue May 29, 2007 3:36 pm

5 wrote:I wouldn't be worried about the Cubs offense

Ah the inevitable implosion. I could see that happening but Im going to risk it.

I keep expecting Smoltz to have a horrid start too, but the last one of those came in the Smoltz vs Glavine II matchup.....

Not trying to compare Mitre to Smoltz at all just saying that I do have that same mentality that players will fall back to earth at some point.
TN_Titans_05
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue May 29, 2007 3:39 pm

TN_Titans_05 wrote:
5 wrote:I wouldn't be worried about the Cubs offense

Ah the inevitable implosion. I could see that happening but Im going to risk it.

I keep expecting Smoltz to have a horrid start too, but the last one of those came in the Smoltz vs Glavine II matchup.....

Not trying to compare Mitre to Smoltz at all just saying that I do have that same mentality that players will fall back to earth at some point.

I think Mitre had a strong debut in 2005 and a strong start to the year in 2006. Both years just when I was about to maybe buy into him, he started to stink.

This year I saw he was coming off the DL so I spot started him for his first start, and he pitched very well. He's coming off another brilliant start, so I see no reason to jump off the train just yet. I'm spot starting him tomorrow.

That being said, if he follows his usual pattern, the blowup is only a matter of time away.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue May 29, 2007 6:04 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I grabbed him at the end of last week, and unfortunately his coming start @CHN was my best 5th-starter alternative. :-o

Anyway, I grabbed him because the numbers look legit:
  • His K rate is in line with career and league norms.
  • His BB rate is at a career low, but it's getting better each game - not worse.
  • His HR rate is his biggest area of improvement.
  • Hit and Strand rates are normal, and his GB/FB rate isn't anomalous.
Basically, we don't have to worry that he's getting lucky right now. That alone means he's a reasonable investment based on recent performance. Beyond that, make sure you keep an eye on the BB or HR numbers. If they start to creep up, the Golden Age might be ending meaning it's time to sell high.

;-D

Nice post here. Thanks for all the great info. ;-D That being said, you might as well ride the hot hand. The cubbies aren't exactly the most intimidating lineup and sit in the middle of the pack for runs scored. I will also be spot starting him tomorrow and I feel good about that...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby phillyphan12 » Tue May 29, 2007 6:25 pm

yea not a bad option 4 a spot
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sportsaddict » Wed May 30, 2007 2:09 am

In my Cafe league I decided to go with Mitre for tommorow night but I was going to pick him up anyone even if he wasn't starting tommorow. I think he'll be a decent option, he's pitched real well this year and I hope it continues.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers