11 year old kills 1,051 pound wild pig - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

11 year old kills 1,051 pound wild pig

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Mon May 28, 2007 11:49 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:all right let me try to explain my viewpoint. after years of practice/training whatever i could understand a young teen 13-14 being responsible with a gun. but do you think its appropriate to FIRST teach them. a 5 year old can hardly READ yet, but he's going to be taught how to blast a shotgun? i just dont see how a 5 year old can make a responsible decision between "ok, heres a deer lets shoot it, and theres a dog/child/person, lets shoot that" or "lets play with the guns when daddy's not around".

A few points.

When you were 5, did you understand the stove made food hot, but at the same time you were not to play with the stove or cook anything yourself because it could/would burn you and hurt you? I knew it. My son knew it. Same thing here.

Secondly, "blasting" a shotgun is movie speak and special effects. There's really no "blasting" going on. It's not nearly as wild as it appears on television.

And finally, if an idiot leaves his gun around where the 5 year old can get his hands on it while the adult is not around, that person is a total moron.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue May 29, 2007 1:25 am

Madison wrote:When you were 5, did you understand the stove made food hot, but at the same time you were not to play with the stove or cook anything yourself because it could/would burn you and hurt you? I knew it. My son knew it. Same thing here.

great example, but ill ask you this. do you let your 5 year old cook you dinner on the stove? of course not ;-) B-)

this all just sounds crazy to me being a city guy. O:-)

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Madison » Tue May 29, 2007 1:31 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
Madison wrote:When you were 5, did you understand the stove made food hot, but at the same time you were not to play with the stove or cook anything yourself because it could/would burn you and hurt you? I knew it. My son knew it. Same thing here.

great example, but ill ask you this. do you let your 5 year old cook you dinner on the stove? of course not ;-) B-)

If I had spent hours on end teaching him about the stove, how to use it, exactly what it can do, how to treat it, supervised him using it, then maybe. I've got an 8 year old that hasn't held or fired a real gun (or cooked on the stove for that matter), so I'm not really as southern as where I live, but I do see both sides of the whole thing. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue May 29, 2007 1:54 am

Madison wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:

If I had spent hours on end teaching him about the stove, how to use it, exactly what it can do, how to treat it, supervised him using it, then maybe. I've got an 8 year old that hasn't held or fired a real gun (or cooked on the stove for that matter), so I'm not really as southern as where I live, but I do see both sides of the whole thing. ;-)

i understand, but the question im asking is WHY WOULD you want to spend hours teaching a 5 year old how to fire the gun to begin with. its really amazing how different some parts of america are.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue May 29, 2007 2:13 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
Madison wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:

i understand, but the question im asking is WHY WOULD you want to spend hours teaching a 5 year old how to fire the gun to begin with. its really amazing how different some parts of america are.

Self protection and responsibility. This country isn't getting any better, there are crimes and shootings everywhere, and it's only going to continue to get worse. Why not teach a child how to handle themselves around firearms? There's no disadvantage to them knowing exactly what kind of damage a gun can do, and how a weapon is supposed to be treated and handled. Make no mistake, I'm not saying strap all 5 year olds with guns and send them into the world (and I mentioned the idiots who leave guns laying around in an earlier post), but if they start learning and know how to handle themselves and weapons when those weapons are present, what's the harm?

It's true about different parts of the country though. I lived in Pittsburgh, PA for awhile and when people learned I was from Texas I always got the joke about "where is my gun, truck, and boots?". Easily the vast majority of people I met and talked to wanted to talk to me about guns killing people, and I had no problem pointing out that guns don't kill anyone. People kill people. Guns are just one of many weapons of choice, but not one of those weapons are responsible for a single death. Always a person behind it.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue May 29, 2007 2:50 am

Madison wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
Madison wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:

Self protection and responsibility. This country isn't getting any better, there are crimes and shootings everywhere, and it's only going to continue to get worse. Why not teach a child how to handle themselves around firearms? There's no disadvantage to them knowing exactly what kind of damage a gun can do, and how a weapon is supposed to be treated and handled. Make no mistake, I'm not saying strap all 5 year olds with guns and send them into the world (and I mentioned the idiots who leave guns laying around in an earlier post), but if they start learning and know how to handle themselves and weapons when those weapons are present, what's the harm?

It's true about different parts of the country though. I lived in Pittsburgh, PA for awhile and when people learned I was from Texas I always got the joke about "where is my gun, truck, and boots?". Easily the vast majority of people I met and talked to wanted to talk to me about guns killing people, and I had no problem pointing out that guns don't kill anyone. People kill people. Guns are just one of many weapons of choice, but not one of those weapons are responsible for a single death. Always a person behind it.

all very good points and i never really thought of it like that, but cant this start when the guy has reached puberty? 5 just seems alittle early. but maybe thats why northerns are being taught to read and count and become successful important people and you southerns got nothing better to do than drink bud and hunt ;-) :-D :-b

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Tue May 29, 2007 2:58 am

Snakes Gould wrote:all very good points and i never really thought of it like that, but cant this start when the guy has reached puberty? 5 just seems alittle early. but maybe thats why northerns are being taught to read and count and become successful important people and you southerns got nothing better to do than drink bud and hunt ;-) :-D :-b

Each parent is different and has to make the decision. Not all kids are the same, and not all parents are the same. Like I said, my boy is 8 and hasn't even held a real firearm yet. ;-) However, if kids younger than him have already been taught the proper way to handle and behave around firearms, I have no problems with that.

Oh, and Coors Light for me and I haven't hunted in quite some time. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby CadensDad » Tue May 29, 2007 4:54 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
Madison wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
Madison wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:

all very good points and i never really thought of it like that, but cant this start when the guy has reached puberty? 5 just seems alittle early. but maybe thats why northerns are being taught to read and count and become successful important people and you southerns got nothing better to do than drink bud and hunt ;-) :-D :-b

I can say this because I know it was true in my life, I shot my first gun before I started school, caught my first fish while I was still in diapers, We in the south take pride in our tradition of hunting, fishing and drinking. You teach your kid to ride a bike, we teach ours to shoot a gun

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 27)

Postby knapplc » Tue May 29, 2007 8:31 am

This turned into a gun debate? That's kind of funny. The guys on the Light Side are just saying, "Wow, that's one big pig!"

:-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 am

pokeyjoe wrote:
Fireball Express wrote:Who would win, this Hog or Coppermine's Grizzly Bear? :-?

This hog could just frikkin sit on the grizzly bear.

Grizzly bears weigh up to 1,500 lbs and they eat feral hogs for breakfast. And lunch. Sometimes dinner (if salmon isn't available).

I think this story is a bunch of bull. The pig was shot May 3 and the story broke May 26 with the website. That's a few weeks to exaggerate this thing. The pig was sent to the sausage factory before its size could be confirmed, and no one really knows who shot it except the kid and dad.

Hogzilla was reported to be 12' long and 1,000 lbs and, from photos, it looks like it was. After being dug up by NG, turns out it was 7' long and no more than 800 lbs. That's still huge as far as wild pigs go, but certainly not "Hogzilla."

I think this is a similar circumstance; except of course the evidence was turned into sausage this time instead of being buried.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk