R. Hill - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

R. Hill

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Adventuresofgabe » Mon May 28, 2007 12:24 am

First off...urbanist...you need to relax, I understand the game, the cubs are not a team I like...so only thing that matters is how a player I have on my fantasy team does. I play in a big money league so unless the player I have does well I could care less about the cubs.

In my opinion he should have left him in regardless of my bias, 66 through 6 with a shutout and 3 hits....are you telling me its good strategy to take him out for a 1 run lead that the pen would have to protect even though hill was dominating?

And if people on this board make you sick then you should find another hobby instead of coming here and laying down the baseball law, I apologize that some of us "fantasy baseball nerds make you sick". Next time ill make sure anything I post won't make you strain your uterus in disgust.
Adventuresofgabe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JeebusMcC » Mon May 28, 2007 2:22 am

seriously, though, they had the chance to win a REAL game, not score more points for you. If either they had picked up the win for Hill or Hill got absolutely rocked in the 7th, you wouldn't be complaining. I own Hill in one of my leagues, and I'm not too concerned over the decision as he still put up great numbers and now I at least know there won't be another good Cubs pitcher on the DL for going too far.
JeebusMcC
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon May 28, 2007 2:55 am

This reminds me of the brouhaha surrounding Ben Davis breaking up Schilling's perfect game with a bunt in the eighth inning. Rather than recognize the hit brought the tying run to the plate, Schill and Brenley ripped into Davis and the Padres for a "breach of baseball etiquette."

Since then, I've occasionally wondered at what point in the game you stop playing to win and start playing to uphold etiquette. I don't think I'll have those same questions about the line between playing to win and playing for stats.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby JeebusMcC » Mon May 28, 2007 3:02 am

ehhh, that's kind of a loose connection, as that was something that everyone was talking about. this is just a situation that fantasy fans will mention. fans who just watch the games probably didn't even notice enough to get outraged. if i were a cubs fan (being from st. louis, it hurts me to even mention that as a hypothetical), i would just be glad the reign of ludicrously high pitch counts is through.
JeebusMcC
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MadMobius » Mon May 28, 2007 3:30 am

I have Rich Hill and I really needed the win (lost by 1 win in my H2H)... yeah, I was a little annoyed but they were looking for anything to scratch out a run in that situation. Honesty, I'm just glad Rich threw a great game... don't act like you guys weren't a little scared to throw him today with the way he's been pitching and then going up against Wolf...

I'll take that outing and be happy...
MadMobius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blakcSiR » Mon May 28, 2007 8:52 am

i think it showed great disrespect to rich hill on the part of crazy lou,

if that was any other manager and there ace was on the hill and had 66 pitches and was going for the shut out there is NO way they pinch hit,
Kazmir and King Felix
holding down my keeper team for the next 10 years
blakcSiR
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SwisherSweet » Tue May 29, 2007 3:03 am

the cubs suck anyway....they can't beat a drum, and if they did Bartman would mess it up for them.....or the goat....or
SwisherSweet
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rounders » Tue May 29, 2007 9:50 am

playing to win is what lou does. just like they game that he emptied his bench in a tie game and had to move soriano to 2B, ward to 1B, and move the entire OF around. he doesn't care about the consequences if they weren't to score a run, he does what he has to do to put them in the best position to win. unfortunately their offense can't score runs, and their bullpen sucks, so it doesn't always work out.

ward didn't get the run in at 3rd, but at least he put the ball in play with a line out to 2nd - which rich hill doesn't really give you a chance of getting that run in.

pulling hill - right move. eyre in the 8th in a 1 run game - wrong move.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nolanwood » Tue May 29, 2007 10:07 am

Rounders wrote:playing to win is what lou does. just like they game that he emptied his bench in a tie game and had to move soriano to 2B, ward to 1B, and move the entire OF around. he doesn't care about the consequences if they weren't to score a run, he does what he has to do to put them in the best position to win. unfortunately their offense can't score runs, and their bullpen sucks, so it doesn't always work out.

ward didn't get the run in at 3rd, but at least he put the ball in play with a line out to 2nd - which rich hill doesn't really give you a chance of getting that run in.

pulling hill - right move. eyre in the 8th in a 1 run game - wrong move.

;-D

Pulling Rich was the right move - Eyre should never be allowed to face a MLB batter again.
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jruiss01 » Tue May 29, 2007 1:55 pm

in all seriousness....what do you think of rich hill's year so far...as far as i'm concerned i'm expecting more out of him....he started great but now he has been streaky?....should i just play good match ups or continue my trust in him
jruiss01
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates