Anthony Reyes sent to Triple A - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anthony Reyes sent to Triple A

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anthony Reyes sent to Triple A

Postby sportsaddict » Sun May 27, 2007 2:19 pm

from yahoo...

Cardinals send Reyes to minors
May 27, 2007

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Anthony Reyes, who won the World Series opener for the St. Louis Cardinals last fall but has lost 10 straight regular-season decisions, on Sunday was optioned to Triple-A Memphis.

Reliever Todd Wellemeyer will take Reyes' spot in the rotation Wednesday at Colorado. The Cardinals recalled left-hander Troy Cate from Memphis to fill the roster spot.

Reyes is 0-8 with a 6.08 ERA in nine starts and allowed five runs and eight hits in 5 2-3 innings in a loss to the Nationals on Friday. He was 5-8 with a 5.06 ERA as a rookie last year, but made a name for himself with eight dominating innings against the Tigers in the Series opener.

Reyes is the first Cardinals pitcher to lose 10 straight decisions since closer Dennis Eckersley lost 10 in a row from April 4, 1996 to Aug. 26, 1997. Team records going back to 1957 show no starters with losing streaks of that length.

I don't know about this, I think the Cards just want Reyes to have some success so he doesn't beat himself up about losing so many games. He gets no run support so its not his fault, but still losing that much has to do something to you. Wellemeyer though? He's terrible.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jswede » Sun May 27, 2007 2:29 pm

What's odd is that up until a week ago, he had a 1.18 WHIP, yet a 5 ERA. Even now, with his ERA over 6, his WHIP is not horrible at 1.35. His Ks are also respectable.

I was keeping an eye on him, and waiting for it to come together. Still might, but this is certainly a delay.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Sun May 27, 2007 2:58 pm

Wellemeyer .... WOW!
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sun May 27, 2007 3:47 pm

I think he'll get another shot in the bigs sometime, but I think he will fail. He's a AAAA pitcher.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Sun May 27, 2007 6:57 pm

Protrade wrote an article on him about a week ago, detailing how he has been one of the unluckiest pitchers in the league. His strand rate is unusually low. Oh well.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun May 27, 2007 10:48 pm

Reyes has not pitched well this year but not as bad as his 6+ ERA would suggest. He just cannot seem to avoid giving up the big inning. He was also bitten by zero run support.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby spamnon » Mon May 28, 2007 7:26 am

And that's why I never liked Tony LaRussa. Let the young guys pitch. And considering his alcohol debacle this offseason, he has moved down my list. Just not a good guy.
I love fantasy baseball but I love fantasy life more... http://www.citypixel.com/AM
spamnon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon May 28, 2007 9:47 am

Secret Avatar wrote:Reyes has not pitched well this year but not as bad as his 6+ ERA would suggest. He just cannot seem to avoid giving up the big inning. He was also bitten by zero run support.

This could be said about Dave Bush too. It both cases, I think it to be unwise for both their respective teams to make a somewhat rash move such as this, especially when the other option is Todd Wellemeyer. The Cards need Reyes to work through this at the major league level so they can see what they have in him, long-term. I no longer view the Cards as a playoff team this year (although who knows, it is the NL Central), and I think they have to get Reyes as much big league experience as possible so they know whether they can pencil him into their 2008 rotation.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby JTWood » Mon May 28, 2007 12:02 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:
Secret Avatar wrote:Reyes has not pitched well this year but not as bad as his 6+ ERA would suggest. He just cannot seem to avoid giving up the big inning. He was also bitten by zero run support.

This could be said about Dave Bush too. It both cases, I think it to be unwise for both their respective teams to make a somewhat rash move such as this, especially when the other option is Todd Wellemeyer. The Cards need Reyes to work through this at the major league level so they can see what they have in him, long-term. I no longer view the Cards as a playoff team this year (although who knows, it is the NL Central), and I think they have to get Reyes as much big league experience as possible so they know whether they can pencil him into their 2008 rotation.

How soon we forget about Ankiel. Ever since him, the Cardinals have treated every, single pitching prospect with kid gloves. This is par for the new course, and I expect him to be down there until they are very confident that he's in the right place.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Return to Baseball Leftovers