Has anyone else been annoyed by Yahoo because of this.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has anyone else been annoyed by Yahoo because of this....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Has anyone else been annoyed by Yahoo because of this....

Postby angels7777 » Sun May 27, 2007 12:46 pm

#1 - Yahoo announces in their front page articles who the top prospects are before they are even in the majors

#2 - Yahoo puts the players in the system after they play a couple games

#3 - when one of those prospects has a good 2-3 first games, now the whole world knows about them and you lose out on them when nobody even knew about them in the first place

:-t

examples: Braun, Gallardo
Last edited by angels7777 on Sun May 27, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazing Oopah » Sun May 27, 2007 12:48 pm

Lincecum was in the database before the season started. You could have drafted him which I did in my keeper league.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby SirDunkALot » Sun May 27, 2007 12:51 pm

What's wrong with having others knowing?

Sounds like your just bitter that you can't get every single great mega prospect. Isn't it better to be more competitive?

And yes, you could've drafted Lincecum before the season. That one is your loss.
SirDunkALot
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Has anyone else been annoyed by Yahoo because of this....

Postby jswede » Sun May 27, 2007 12:52 pm

I'm in CBS and that's the reason I think I'll never try Yahoo. It takes scouting for prospects COMPLETELY OUT OF THE GAME.

You could be diligent, smart and a hard worker on the prospect end - find out about someone months in advance - and still lose out to a competitor who found out about him yesterday thru a front page article.

It just takes a very important aspect out of the game - one that separates managers in skill and work - and delegates it to luck (ie ww order).
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby angels7777 » Sun May 27, 2007 12:54 pm

sorry Lincecum is a bad example... I jumped on him, but Braun is the guy I am referring to... no one knew about him, he was in the article, has a huge game yesterday, and I lose out on him because of those 2 things...
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby angels7777 » Sun May 27, 2007 12:55 pm

jswede wrote:I'm in CBS and that's the reason I think I'll never try Yahoo. It takes scouting for prospects COMPLETELY OUT OF THE GAME.

You could be diligent, smart and a hard worker on the prospect end - find out about someone months in advance - and still lose out to a competitor who found out about him yesterday thru a front page article.

It just takes a very important aspect out of the game - one that separates managers in skill and work - and delegates it to luck (ie ww order).

thank you ;-D

this is exactly what I am trying to say....
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby mak1277 » Sun May 27, 2007 12:56 pm

There are so many places to get information these days, though, that I don't think it matters if Yahoo is putting up front page articles. I mean, I've been reading about Braun and Gallardo (and Hamels last year) in mainstream articles on other websites for months.

If the people in your league are even remotely into baseball, they knew about these guys already. I wouldn't want to play in a league where that wasn't the case. Heck, we draft offline and Braun, Gallardo and Lincecum were ALL drafted in both my leagues this year.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Crippler » Sun May 27, 2007 12:58 pm

jswede wrote:I'm in CBS and that's the reason I think I'll never try Yahoo. It takes scouting for prospects COMPLETELY OUT OF THE GAME.

Uhh yeah...because people in CBS leagues are completely banned from reading Yahoo Articles :-?
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun May 27, 2007 1:00 pm

i dont think having articles about them is a bad thing. if there were no articles then even those looking to find out more about the prospects wouldnt be able to.
the problem is the way yahoo puts them available. any prospect should be able to be picked up before they play their first game. that way those who take the time to research the player in advance will be able to get that player before he is called up.
you could have people then stashing players on their bench and waiting until they are called up, but so what! if someone wants to take up a bench spot on a player not even yet in the majors then they deserve any type of rewards that player can bring them.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 91)

Postby angels7777 » Sun May 27, 2007 1:16 pm

mak1277 wrote:There are so many places to get information these days, though, that I don't think it matters if Yahoo is putting up front page articles. I mean, I've been reading about Braun and Gallardo (and Hamels last year) in mainstream articles on other websites for months.

If the people in your league are even remotely into baseball, they knew about these guys already. I wouldn't want to play in a league where that wasn't the case. Heck, we draft offline and Braun, Gallardo and Lincecum were ALL drafted in both my leagues this year.

just out of curiosity how big are your leagues and KL or non?
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers