Sonnanstine... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sonnanstine...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dynastykid22 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:14 pm

apz wrote:I won't recommend it, but I'm starting him in my CBS weekly lineup points league.

Yep I'll second that ! Starting him ! ;-D
dynastykid22
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sonnanstine...

Postby brandnew » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:09 pm

Hmm... nice start today. Is he worth dropping Bailey for?
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby smoovethug » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:00 pm

brandnew wrote:Hmm... nice start today. Is he worth dropping Bailey for?

I'd give Bailey some more time. He's a top prospect for a reason you can't just drop him after one start.

Sonnanstine looked good today. 10 K's? Is he a strikeout pitcher? I know deeray compared him to Maddux because he doesn't throw hard but has movement and good control. Next start @ Coors though so I'll wait and see before making a move for him just yet.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:57 pm

His career on the minors he K'ed 219 in 256 IP
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:18 pm

Sonnanstine has a very impressive slider(I think...) that's very effective against RHB. Besides that, he's just basically doing what coachs told you to do. Throw the ball around the strikezone and try to catch corners. Stuff looks very hittable but that slider piece is a strikeout pitch and he does have a lot of variety.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:43 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:Sonnanstine has a very impressive slider(I think...) that's very effective against RHB. Besides that, he's just basically doing what coachs told you to do. Throw the ball around the strikezone and try to catch corners. Stuff looks very hittable but that slider piece is a strikeout pitch and he does have a lot of variety.

he is like El Duque in the fact that he can throw from 3 different arm angles too
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MTUCache » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:26 pm

Very happy to say that I had him in my lineup today for my H2H league.... not that I normally would take a flier on a prospect like this without seeing at least one good start from him, but I had plenty of room for error in all of my pitching categories this week.

I'll be picking up Slowey next week for his Wednesday start, now that I have a spot in my lineup for "spot" starters that I can play around with. Can't say how long either of them will end up on my roster (10 team league), but I'm not shying away from either one of them.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Jury » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:11 pm

Sonnantine is not nearly the prospect that Bailey is. Bailey has been projected to be a top end pitcher while Sonnantine is projected to settle in as a middle-to-end of the rotation starter. Keep in mind that pitcher have the ace up their sleeve when they start out in a new league, so you will want to think about 5 or 10 starts down the road and on. Last I found, Sonnanstine doesn't throw hard, and his only plus pitch is his changeup. The AL East is also not a friendly division for pitchers.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:22 pm

The Jury wrote:

Sonnantine is not nearly the prospect that Bailey is. Bailey has been projected to be a top end pitcher while Sonnantine is projected to settle in as a middle-to-end of the rotation starter. Keep in mind that pitcher have the ace up their sleeve when they start out in a new league, so you will want to think about 5 or 10 starts down the road and on. Last I found, Sonnanstine doesn't throw hard, and his only plus pitch is his changeup. The AL East is also not a friendly division for pitchers.

Greg Maddux throw hard? You don't have to throw hard to get the job done. He moves the ball in and out, up and down and doesn't walk anyone. He lets his defense get him out of jams if he needs to. I am not saying to drop Bailey, but the guy can pitch and just b/c pitchers do not "throw hard" doesn't mean they can't pitch in a tough divison
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dynastykid22 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:31 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
The Jury wrote:

Greg Maddux throw hard? You don't have to throw hard to get the job done. He moves the ball in and out, up and down and doesn't walk anyone. He lets his defense get him out of jams if he needs to. I am not saying to drop Bailey, but the guy can pitch and just b/c pitchers do not "throw hard" doesn't mean they can't pitch in a tough divison

Agrred ;D You dont have to throw hard to Git R Done ! But all you haters you have to give So-No props ! The guy has more heart and composure than any rookie this year (no I'm not saying he's the best), but he will be out to prove himself and will be very effective in his career. B-)
dynastykid22
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers