Sonnanstine... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sonnanstine...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sonnanstine...

Postby jake_harv88 » Sun May 27, 2007 10:13 am

Hey deeray I pulled this out of the tourney thread. So you say this guy might be up on tuesday. Any definitive word on that? Whats peoples opinions on this guy? All I know is the stats. He pitched well in AA last year finishing with a 2.67 era and 150 Ks. This year in AAA he's pitching just as well. 2.35 ERA, 65 Ks, 13 BBs in only 65 innings. Hes even had a couple of double digit strikeout efforts. With the way the rays starters are pitching so far I figure we'll see this guy sooner or later this year. How good can he be?
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun May 27, 2007 10:14 am

Check my Blog post in my sig ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 36)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun May 27, 2007 10:15 am

The rainout may have pushed him back though b/c it altered the rotation
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jake_harv88 » Sun May 27, 2007 10:17 am

thanks man. Should have seen that before I posted the thread. ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue May 29, 2007 2:13 pm

I snagged this little piece off of Sporting news today...

Sporting News wrote:Andy Sonnanstine, 24, is the golden boy of the Bulls' staff and is leading the International League in strikeouts. The Rays' coaches love Sonnanstine, because "he goes after hitters from all angles, all speeds, and all quadrants of the plate."

In other words, he's polished, knows how to pitch, and has tremendous command. Still, his stuff is nothing special, so while he is the Bull most ready to step into a major league rotation, his upside is probably that of a No. 3 or 4 starter in the big leagues.

Jeff Niemann, 24, the Rays' No. 1 pick in 2004, has greater upside but less polish. Niemann has an explosive fastball, a good curveball, and a solid slider. He has been working on a changeup for the past year and a half, but the pitch has been slow to develop.

He also has had a hard time staying healthy, something Rays management would like to see reversed this year. While he's probably not slated for the Tampa Bay rotation this season, a full year of health and improved command of his changeup could put him in line for a major league gig in 2008.

Jason Hammel, 24, is almost ready for another shot. I saw Hammel throw a two-hitter through six innings against the Richmond Braves earlier this month and he looks like he has the total package. He has added a slider to his arsenal. The Rays coaches with whom I spoke think the slider will be a good weapon against big-league hitters and believe that it's just a matter of Hammel becoming more consistent in using the array of pitches at his command.

A big righthander who does a good job of keeping the ball down in the zone, Hammel could probably step into the Rays' rotation and be effective right away. He's not a top-of-the-rotation guy, but with more experience in mixing his pitches and setting up hitters, he can be a No. 3 starter in the bigs.

Mitch Talbot, 23, is probably the furthest away of the four, but he has as much upside as Hammel and Sonnanstine. Talbot has a good arsenal but seems to have lost his touch on the slider that allowed him to blossom in Double-A Montgomery last year. He has also tried to be too fine at times instead of going after hitters.

I saw Talbot after one recent rough outing and he admitted that he was still working on the slider. However, if he can regain command of his slider and learn to better attack hitters, he could easily have a spot in the Tampa Bay rotation in 2008 or 2009.

I personally like sonnanstine alot. Unlike Gallardo he's pretty much garunteed to make an appearance sooner rather than later. If all the reports are true about him "knowing how to pitch" I see no reason why he can't be just as successful, if not more, than the hughes, gallardos, lincecums, and baileys of the world. Lets be honest guys a rookie pitchers success isn't based on his "talent" but more on their ability to use it. Cole Hamels had all the talent in the world last year but struggled until the second half of the season because he just didn't know how to use it (forgetting the DL stint of course). Plus Sonnanstine is much less known than those other 4 guys and therefore should fly under the radar of 90% of the fantasy world. Dont sleep on this guy, he will be useful. Deeray any news from the homefront???

Do I think Gallardo will be better long term? Yes. Do I think Gallardo will outperform Sonnastine this year? Maybe not...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue May 29, 2007 2:48 pm

I disagree with there assesment of Hammel. He is a reliever IMO, i think Raiders would agree with me on that one. Niemann is definetly the most talented guy on the staff, but Sonnanstine reminds me of Maddux and Shields together. The guy knows how to pitch and goes after the hitter and he has fire on that mound like Jamie does. Jamie was not as highly regarded before he came up....
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby godallahstar » Tue May 29, 2007 3:18 pm

i don't know if i would write off hammel as just a reliever,
he's doing fantastic and has some real heat, and a nasty curve.
but i'm not exactly expecting him to be a #3 either.
he really could be a very good 4th pitcher though,
especially if he continues working low and getting grounders.

i'm very happy with our future pitching situation,
and it really seems like we're going to take Price,
so we'd have

Kazmir
Shields
Price
Niemann
McGee
Sonnanstine
Hammel
Talbot
etc
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue May 29, 2007 3:44 pm

godallahstar wrote:i don't know if i would write off hammel as just a reliever,
he's doing fantastic and has some real heat, and a nasty curve.
but i'm not exactly expecting him to be a #3 either.
he really could be a very good 4th pitcher though,
especially if he continues working low and getting grounders.

i'm very happy with our future pitching situation,
and it really seems like we're going to take Price,
so we'd have

Kazmir
Shields
Price
Niemann
McGee
Sonnanstine
Hammel
Talbot
etc

don't forget Davis he is one of the best
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

andrew sonnastine

Postby perlick29 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:57 am

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up. Per Rotoworld it looks like he'll get called up and start tuesday. He seems a good bet to be successful in the majors right away and hopefully hold down the job over the likes of Jae Seo and Casey Fossum. If you're like me and had a low waiver priority therefore missing out on the likes of Gallardo, Lincecum, Braum, Bailey, Slowey and whatever other prospects, this guy could help your team right away.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jake_harv88 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:00 am

rotoworld wrote:According to the St. Petersburg Times, the Devil Rays may call up Andy Sonnanstine from Triple-A to start Tuesday against the Blue Jays.

He would replace either Jae Seo or Casey Fossum in the rotation, and the Devil Rays may also call up J.P. Howell to grab a starting spot. An extreme control pitcher with outstanding minor league numbers, Sonnanstine is like a slightly poorer man's Kevin Slowey and could good value in AL-only leagues eventually.

Off rotoworld today. Again Sonnanstine doesnt have the hype that gallardo/lincecum/hughes/bailey have but i think hes a worthy add in deeper leagues. I'll be adding him in my 16 team league, and probably my 8 team AL only. I've never heard of Howell so i dont know much about him.

PS. I apologize for my "Dont you hate it when..." thread this morning. I was a little heated from work and should have allowed myself to calm down before posting that. In an effort to cut down on useless posts i figured i would just throw this on the end of something important. I'm not sure how many will read this but those that do. I apologize...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers