Harden Injury: "No Return in Sight ...." - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Harden Injury: "No Return in Sight ...."

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby poopdungbeatle » Tue May 29, 2007 12:09 am

i traded for Harden early in the season. as you can see in my sig...im not all that happy about it!!!!! but i didnt give up too much....sowers and fuentes. i still have krod, putz, accardo, with myers on the DL...

20 team H2H league non keeper league
R/H/HR/RBI/SB/K/E/AVG/OBP/SLG

C - Ramon Hernandez
1b - Konerko
2b - Kendrick
3b - Braun
SS - Felipe Lopez
OF - Manny, Hunter, Francoeur, Byrnes, Lofton,
Util - Hafner, Kouzmanoff
Bench - Hamilton

W/L/SV/R/BB/K/HLD/ERA/WHIP/Kper9

SP - Harden, Cain, Burnett, Lincecum, Hughes, Wang, Slowely, Gallardo
RP - K-rod, Putz, Myers, Accardo, Broxton, Capps
poopdungbeatle
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Geek » Tue May 29, 2007 12:58 am

pangbones wrote:
Geek wrote:I just dealt him and Halladay for Abreu and Howard.

He belongs on the permanent "DO NOT DRAFT" list.

I was able to basically turn him and D Lee into Halladay and D Wright!! I couldn't take it anymore. I will never draft him again, unless its LATE!! I thought the 10th round was a good time to gamble on him. 2 Weeks ago, I looked back at who I COULD have drafted instead, and I almost started crying!! Bedard, C Young, Haren, just to name a few!! :~(

Before the season began, I was telling people that "Rich Harden makes Mark Prior look like Lou Gehrig." I wound up with him in only one league, and then as my #4 starter. There's no way he should have gone before guys like Haren and Bedard.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Big Train » Tue May 29, 2007 6:20 am

Well, at least we know what he's being doing lately... can't say for a second that I believe the part that I bolded.... looks to me like the columnist or editor added something that the doctor didn't mean to imply.

Another painful start for Harden

Cleve Dheensaw
Times Colonist

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

If Rich Harden's major-league journey to date had a title, it might be A Career on Hold or A Dream Delayed.

For the past three preseasons, there have been hushed predictions of possible American League Cy Young glory for the flame-throwing Oakland A's pitcher from Victoria. But that seemingly-vast promise has been scuttled by injuries as the frustration level mounts year after year for the 25-year-old Claremont Secondary School grad and former Layritz Little Leaguer.

On the shelf again since April 15 after missing much of last season, Harden was quietly in his hometown for the past week receiving treatment from his Victoria chiropractor Dr. Jamie Grimes and naturopath Dr. Todd Levins.

Harden, a former outfielder who switched to the mound at age 17 while playing for the Victoria Rockets at Henderson Park, left Victoria on Sunday to return to Oakland. Few people even knew he was back in town.

Although a troubling storyline is beginning to emerge about great potential unfulfilled due to chronic injuries, nothing could be further from the truth, say his Victoria caregivers. It's more to do with plain bad luck than anything seriously chronic.

"The impression is that Rich is always hurt, and is injury prone, but he wants everyone to know it's not serious and that these have been fluke injuries," said Grimes, whose eclectic list of chiropractic clientele includes more than 15 Oakland A's players, the Victoria Salmon Kings of the ECHL and the Greek Olympic track team.

"Everyone wants to know: Why is Rich injured all the time? Rich can be healthy. He's had a string of bad luck. Like his past injuries, he incurred this latest one through a fluke -- reaching back to palm a ball that was hit back at him. He has an impingement on the back of his [right] shoulder. He has no structural damage. Although not serious, this injury takes some time to get over. He's getting better and was tossing some balls yesterday and is probably about two weeks away [from getting back in the line-up]." But it must be mentally wearing to be on the verge of stardom yet able to start fewer than 30 games over the past three seasons. Just when the former Racquet Club rep hockey standout looks to be building up career steam on the big-league diamond, another health problem sets him back. Harden's ailments have been persistent yet varied, ranging from his back to last season's sprained right elbow.

"Last year, when injured, Rich was depressed because he felt it was all piling up on him," said Grimes, who was chiropractor for the host Greek track team at the 2004 Athens Summer Olympics and will be again for the Greek squad next year at Beijing.

"He was just a young guy, but he's maturing as an athlete and he's not down or depressed this year about the new injury. That's because he has come to realize that every time he comes back from his injuries, he's still good. His talent is still there. He still has it, every time back from injury. He comes back each time pitching better than ever. That's important for any athlete to know." Grimes travels regularly to Oakland to treat Harden and numerous other A's and has been working with the Victoria fireballer for four years. If he had known him earlier, Grimes would have made certain corrections in Harden's fitness regimen.

"In the minor pros, Rich never did weights but would throw a lot of balls and I would have had him do more weights because that might be why [he's had a series of injuries]," said Grimes, who works at Synergy Health Management on Quadra Street.

Having a certain degree of strength lessens the amount of physical erosion in an athlete, explained Grimes.

Harden's challenge now is to get his shoulder better, stay healthy, and quiet those who never questioned his talent but are beginning to doubt his durability.

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolo ... 6209e9efb9

Harden went home to British Columbia to get treatment for his shoulder impingement from his chiropractor, Jamie Grimes, and the right-hander was feeling good enough Monday to make 40 throws from about 90 feet. That felt good, too, Harden said. If he continues to progress and moves out his long toss, there's a chance he could be throwing off the mound or at least the front part of the mound toward the end of the homestand.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... SNOTES.TMP
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby poopdungbeatle » Tue May 29, 2007 6:39 am

wow, encouraging news! Im not counting on him or anything. but if he comes back, he'll make my pitching staff very competitive! ;-D

20 team H2H league non keeper league
R/H/HR/RBI/SB/K/E/AVG/OBP/SLG

C - Ramon Hernandez
1b - Konerko
2b - Kendrick
3b - Braun
SS - Felipe Lopez
OF - Manny, Hunter, Francoeur, Byrnes, Lofton,
Util - Hafner, Kouzmanoff
Bench - Hamilton

W/L/SV/R/BB/K/HLD/ERA/WHIP/Kper9

SP - Harden, Cain, Burnett, Lincecum, Hughes, Wang, Slowely, Gallardo
RP - K-rod, Putz, Myers, Accardo, Broxton, Capps
poopdungbeatle
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Danger » Tue May 29, 2007 8:24 am

Eh I wouldn't hold my breath. Rich Harden is a tease. He says he'll come back on a certain date then he pushes it back. When he actually does come back he'll pitch lights out for 3 or 4 outings so his fantasy owners can build up hope and actually thinking about trading to acquire him. As soon as you start him that week, he laughs and takes a stroll to the DL :-t
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fritzenhammer » Tue May 29, 2007 8:44 am

Danger wrote:Eh I wouldn't hold my breath. Rich Harden is a tease. He says he'll come back on a certain date then he pushes it back. When he actually does come back he'll pitch lights out for 3 or 4 outings so his fantasy owners can build up hope and actually thinking about trading to acquire him. As soon as you start him that week, he laughs and takes a stroll to the DL :-t

Sad, but true. I hope for his sake (and mine) that he actually gets the opportunity to make something of his talent.

The loss of guys like Prior and Harden takes away a little bit of the joy of being a baseball fan.

FH
Fritzenhammer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Coppermine » Tue May 29, 2007 9:23 am

Danger wrote:Eh I wouldn't hold my breath. Rich Harden is a tease.

Seriously, he's like the chick I took to Jr. Prom. Except the only pitches she throws are blue balls.

You hear that Katie!? You're the Rich Harden of prom teases! Oh, what's that? You just want to be friends!? DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THAT LIMO COST!?

Sorry guys, I'm getting a little carried away.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby d18Mike » Tue May 29, 2007 9:24 am

This from the SF Chronicle today (Tuesday) -- always remember with Harden -- he has always been overly positive/optimistic re: his health. So be a little cautious when he says he feels "good."

---------------------

Harden went home to British Columbia to get treatment for his shoulder impingement from his chiropractor, Jamie Grimes, and the right-hander was feeling good enough Monday to make 40 throws from about 90 feet. That felt good, too, Harden said. If he continues to progress and moves out his long toss, there's a chance he could be throwing off the mound or at least the front part of the mound toward the end of the homestand.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue May 29, 2007 5:41 pm

This may be the time to trade him. It's the first time in a long time that he has a positive red note next to his name on Yahoo and it could be the last time.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fbc_fan » Tue May 29, 2007 6:35 pm

MotorCityKitties wrote:This may be the time to trade him. It's the first time in a long time that he has a positive red note next to his name on Yahoo and it could be the last time.

i don't think you could end up getting that much given his history of relapsing after positive news. i don't think anyone will give up much until he's actually logged some innings. sadly, i think we are stuck with him for the long haul at this point.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates