Ken Griffey Jr. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ken Griffey Jr.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CharlatanSin » Sun May 27, 2007 9:55 am

I always hated the Mariners as a kid, and still Ken Griffey's home run swing was one of the reasons I loved baseball.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dweenmachine » Sun May 27, 2007 10:30 am

I'm just glad that I picked him up this year. EVERYONE stayed away from him because of the injury concern, and rightly so.

When he started heating up, I figured what the hell, and took a chance. Man-oh-man has it been paying off! :-D

Thanks Griffey! You're a great player, one of the greatest hitters I've ever seen. Keep it up and stay healthy! ;-D
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby abrunn11 » Sun May 27, 2007 8:41 pm

CadensDad wrote:
abrunn11 wrote:I just had this conversation with my father-in-law after he said that he thought KGJ was goning to be so good. I reminded him that Jr. has hit more homeruns than anyone but 4 people (Aaron, Ruth, Mays and Robinson) and he will pass Robinson before the season is over. I choose not to count ANY homeruns that Bonds, Sosa or McGwire have ever hit. He has won 10 Gold Gloves, 7 Silver Sluggers and 1 MVP. He is a hands down, first ballot HOFer and he did this all naturally. To me, this IS an unbelievable career. He WAS good. Doing this while being decimated with injuries his entire career makes it even that more impressive.

I love comments like this, How do you know Griffey didn't take some pill's? did you give him a piss test? Or Aaron? Maybe he had the 70's version on roids. It's like if I say I'm not gonna count any of the stats, Roger Clemens and Randy Johnson have done and make Greg Maddux the all time greatest......... just amazing

First of all, this is my opinion and it is how I will choose to view the homerun list. Second, are you accusing KGJ of cheating? There has NEVER been ANY suspicion raised about Griffey, EVER. To even say anything of the like is idiotic.

And why would you not count any of RJ's or Clemens stats? Is there proof of them cheating during their careers? Again, idiotic.
abrunn11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Sun May 27, 2007 8:46 pm

abrunn11 wrote:
CadensDad wrote:
abrunn11 wrote:I just had this conversation with my father-in-law after he said that he thought KGJ was goning to be so good. I reminded him that Jr. has hit more homeruns than anyone but 4 people (Aaron, Ruth, Mays and Robinson) and he will pass Robinson before the season is over. I choose not to count ANY homeruns that Bonds, Sosa or McGwire have ever hit. He has won 10 Gold Gloves, 7 Silver Sluggers and 1 MVP. He is a hands down, first ballot HOFer and he did this all naturally. To me, this IS an unbelievable career. He WAS good. Doing this while being decimated with injuries his entire career makes it even that more impressive.

I love comments like this, How do you know Griffey didn't take some pill's? did you give him a piss test? Or Aaron? Maybe he had the 70's version on roids. It's like if I say I'm not gonna count any of the stats, Roger Clemens and Randy Johnson have done and make Greg Maddux the all time greatest......... just amazing

First of all, this is my opinion and it is how I will choose to view the homerun list. Second, are you accusing KGJ of cheating? There has NEVER been ANY suspicion raised about Griffey, EVER. To even say anything of the like is idiotic.

And why would you not count any of RJ's or Clemens stats? Is there proof of them cheating during their careers? Again, idiotic.

Idiotic, eh? Sounds like the opinion some people have of people who fling those accusations at the very same people you're slinging them at. What's good for the goose, no? And when did accusation and suspicion equal conviction and proof? You can view the HR List however you see fit, but just realize that what you're saying sounds about as foolish and 'idiotic' as what he's proposing as well.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)

Postby rjforlife » Sun May 27, 2007 8:53 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
abrunn11 wrote:
CadensDad wrote:

Idiotic, eh? Sounds like the opinion some people have of people who fling those accusations at the very same people you're slinging them at. What's good for the goose, no? And when did accusation and suspicion equal conviction and proof? You can view the HR List however you see fit, but just realize that what you're saying sounds about as foolish and 'idiotic' as what he's proposing as well.

you keep em in line BH. ;-D
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby jfg » Sun May 27, 2007 11:05 pm

Danger wrote:HR's are overrated. Chicks dig the infield single ;-D

Luis Castillo: First ballot HOFer!

Speaking of that, I think the most amazing thing about Griffey is that even with all of those injuries and the potential to be the greatest ever lost he's still 1st ballot hands down. It's just crazy when you consider the circumstances.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby Crimedogg32 » Mon May 28, 2007 1:53 am

Over the past 2 weeks or so Griffey is getting about a HR every 2 hit. Is this a concern? Is he always swinging for the fences? His average is around .200 during this and is he getting HR happy or just in a mini slump in terms of hits.
Crimedogg32
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby abrunn11 » Mon May 28, 2007 5:29 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
abrunn11 wrote:
CadensDad wrote:

I am confused with this one. Was Sosa accused of corking his bat or was there prrof of it? Was Bonds accused of using steriods or did he admit to it (cream and clear)? The FACT that McGwire is not in the HOF goes to show that I am not the only person who does not count his homeruns. Looks like 417 HOF voters agree with me on this. But, what I am saying sounds foolish huh?
abrunn11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rainman23 » Mon May 28, 2007 7:04 pm

It's unfair to assume that someone like Griffey ever used any artificial aids. It's also naive to assume that the guy is completely untainted. You don't know. Before anyone was talking about McGwire, or Bonds, or Sosa, there were a couple other guys who were making the single season home run record look vulnerable. That would be Matt Williams and Junior. To recognize that the huge power leap in the 90's was driven by steroids and HGH, but to give any of the leading HR hitters of the era a free pass -- well, whatever helps you sleep better. I'd like to think that Junior is completely clean, but I sure wouldn't bet on it.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby abrunn11 » Mon May 28, 2007 8:10 pm

rainman23 wrote:It's unfair to assume that someone like Griffey ever used any artificial aids. It's also naive to assume that the guy is completely untainted. You don't know. Before anyone was talking about McGwire, or Bonds, or Sosa, there were a couple other guys who were making the single season home run record look vulnerable. That would be Matt Williams and Junior. To recognize that the huge power leap in the 90's was driven by steroids and HGH, but to give any of the leading HR hitters of the era a free pass -- well, whatever helps you sleep better. I'd like to think that Junior is completely clean, but I sure wouldn't bet on it.

The difference between Jr. and the others is that there is ZERO proof of Jr. taking any proformance enhancing drugs. The bottom line is that these players have forever change the face of baseball. This era will always be looked at with suspicion because of guys like McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Canseco, Giambi, and 10,000 more guys like them. Maybe Griffey is part of that group and maybe he is not. But i am going to assume he is not until something convinces me otherwise.
abrunn11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers