Ken Griffey Jr. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ken Griffey Jr.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ken Griffey Jr.

Postby KrunK » Sat May 26, 2007 5:56 pm

I hate to jinx him, but if he stays healthy up until the All Star Break and stays pretty hot, I think we might get to see him in the Home Run Derby again. I know it's still early, but he's been my favorite player as long as I've watched baseball and it'd be nice to see that backwards hat and butter smooth swing in the Derby again!

It's unfortunate that he's been injury prone since he was traded to the Reds, because he had some huge potential. Regardless, it is nice to see him back to normal again (at least for now). Maybe he can add some more value to that rookie card of his that I've got in a still sealed box in my closet ;-D
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Danger » Sat May 26, 2007 7:16 pm

Junior has always been a great hitter no doubt. The ONLY thing that has held him back is injuries. He was on pace to absolutely crush the HR record and it's a little disappointing to see a player with so much talent baseball talent in his pinky alone being held back by injuries. Can he still put up 40 100 100 .290? Sure he can, but the question with Griffey has always been about health and not talent.
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Postby abrunn11 » Sat May 26, 2007 7:40 pm

I just had this conversation with my father-in-law after he said that he thought KGJ was goning to be so good. I reminded him that Jr. has hit more homeruns than anyone but 4 people (Aaron, Ruth, Mays and Robinson) and he will pass Robinson before the season is over. I choose not to count ANY homeruns that Bonds, Sosa or McGwire have ever hit. He has won 10 Gold Gloves, 7 Silver Sluggers and 1 MVP. He is a hands down, first ballot HOFer and he did this all naturally. To me, this IS an unbelievable career. He WAS good. Doing this while being decimated with injuries his entire career makes it even that more impressive.
abrunn11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sportsaddict » Sat May 26, 2007 7:49 pm

I hope he returns to form, he is also one of my favorite players. He's a really likable person and an exciting player, a fan favorite for sure. He's still got something left in the tank- hopefully he can stay healthy and produce for a few more years.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby noseeum » Sat May 26, 2007 8:11 pm

The disappointment a lot of people have when they think about Griffey is the "what could have been..." thing. Years of injury free insane performance, followed by five years of pain and suffering.

Amazing player. HOF for sure. Equaled his potential? No, but that's sure saying something for his potential. Oozing talent. I still love his swing. One of the best home runs to watch is when it comes off Griffey's bat.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Sat May 26, 2007 9:31 pm

abrunn11 wrote:I just had this conversation with my father-in-law after he said that he thought KGJ was goning to be so good. I reminded him that Jr. has hit more homeruns than anyone but 4 people (Aaron, Ruth, Mays and Robinson) and he will pass Robinson before the season is over. I choose not to count ANY homeruns that Bonds, Sosa or McGwire have ever hit. He has won 10 Gold Gloves, 7 Silver Sluggers and 1 MVP. He is a hands down, first ballot HOFer and he did this all naturally. To me, this IS an unbelievable career. He WAS good. Doing this while being decimated with injuries his entire career makes it even that more impressive.

If you choose not to count any HR that Aaron, Ruth, Mays, or Robinson hit, then KGJ is your All-Time Home Run King! ;-D O:-) :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby abrunn11 » Sat May 26, 2007 10:01 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
abrunn11 wrote:I just had this conversation with my father-in-law after he said that he thought KGJ was goning to be so good. I reminded him that Jr. has hit more homeruns than anyone but 4 people (Aaron, Ruth, Mays and Robinson) and he will pass Robinson before the season is over. I choose not to count ANY homeruns that Bonds, Sosa or McGwire have ever hit. He has won 10 Gold Gloves, 7 Silver Sluggers and 1 MVP. He is a hands down, first ballot HOFer and he did this all naturally. To me, this IS an unbelievable career. He WAS good. Doing this while being decimated with injuries his entire career makes it even that more impressive.

If you choose not to count any HR that Aaron, Ruth, Mays, or Robinson hit, then KGJ is your All-Time Home Run King! ;-D O:-) :-b

OK, thanks
abrunn11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CadensDad » Sat May 26, 2007 11:07 pm

I love comments like this, How do you know Griffey didn't take some pill's? did you give him a piss test? Or Aaron? Maybe he had the 70's version on roids. It's like if I say I'm not gonna count any of the stats, Roger Clemens and Randy Johnson have done and make Greg Maddux the all time greatest......... just amazing

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Tavish » Sat May 26, 2007 11:37 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

And if you start eliminating all these pansy home run hitters, sooner or later you come to the correct conclusion. Roger Connor is the true Home Run King. ;-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Danger » Sun May 27, 2007 2:23 am

HR's are overrated. Chicks dig the infield single ;-D
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers