Competitive leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Competitive leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Competitive leagues

Postby raygunpunx » Sat May 26, 2007 1:31 pm

Does anybody here play in them? It seems that whenever people post rosters here they always include like 3 or 4 first rounders and then like 3 or 4 other players that are having career years or the hot rookies and no most of these leagues are not keepers either.

Discuss
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nebgib5 » Sat May 26, 2007 2:01 pm

most posts where you see someone's roster are in the draft trade keeper & waiver section. i would guess that the majority of fantasy sports leagues are public leagues where many people are either idiots, or don't check their teams after drafting them. thus, people can buy low on stars who have started slow after a couple of weeks, and there are less people there to snag the hot pickups. most of the cafe leagues are very competitive, but you won't see most people in them posting questions in the trade forum, because a) they tend to be knowledgable enough that they require little assistance, and b) they don't want to reveal their plans to leaguemates.

i'm not really sure why this bothers you, though.
nebgib5
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat May 26, 2007 2:35 pm

It's actually mostly because the people at the cafe take fantasy baseball more seriously, on average, than fantasy baseball managers who don't visit the cafe. We are ahead of the learning curve so not only can we spot the bargains in the drafts, we are also quick to pounce on guys like Tim Lincecum, JJ Hardy, Shane Victorino and the like.

We are constantly looking for ways to improve our rosters while others might go for weeks at a time just living with their players' ups and downs, not knowing what's really out there (like those of us here).

Also, you probably see a lot of stacked rosters due to a low number of teams (sometimes as few as 4).

I personally play in two 14 team leagues, so my rosters probably wouldn't strike anybody as stacked, though they are.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby jcde7ago » Sat May 26, 2007 2:50 pm

I completely agree about us cafe-ers being a lot more knowledgeable about rising stars/prospects and being able to snag most, if not all of them before our league mates do. That said, i play 2 public leagues and 2 friends leagues every year, all 12 teamers.

If you're in a public league, it'll either be very competitive, or anywhere from 2 to 6 of the 12 managers end up not following through/barely changing their lineup.

My friends leagues, however, we're all very competitive. A few of my friends use the cafe, fanball, rotoworld...you name it, we use it.

All in all you can see a huge difference in the people who use outside sources like the cafe and such, versus "normal" players who just follow Sportscenter. I know my teams have gotten better over the years since discovering the cafe.

You'll also have one of those years where one or two of your teams get stacked, because a lot of your waiver pick ups outperform expectations, and you're able to deal the studs you drafted for other help on your team, knowing that your waiver studs will help keep your team afloat. That's the case with me this year with guys like Lincecum, Shields, Reyes, Hudson, Accardo...or when someone dropped Erik Bedard in his slump and i nagged him. And the trades you pull off are extremely important (example, i just snagged Hafner for my Abreu/Hudson). The stacked team in my sig shows that i had to get lucky in waiver pick ups and trades to come out with a more than balanced and pretty stellar team.

Bottom line is, it all obviously depends on the people you play with.
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Wrong Forum!

Postby WebHamster » Sat May 26, 2007 4:16 pm

This thread has been eaten by the Webhamster. This typically happens to solitary posts that move too far away from their own kind. Please repost your question or issue in the appropriate forum where it can dwell among the herd of similar threads and where the mods will bravely protect it from the mean rodents. And please ... do not feed the Webhamster! Thank you.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 431)

Return to Baseball Leftovers