FREE LEAGUE: Playing 24 years, needs 3 managers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Classifieds

FREE LEAGUE: Playing 24 years, needs 3 managers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

FREE LEAGUE: Playing 24 years, needs 3 managers

Postby Maximus » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:06 pm

We have a well-established "Play By E-Mail" league that started out face-to-face with Strat-O-Matic rules in 1980 here in Peoria, IL. It is a 12-team league. There are three teams that need managers. The prize money is $25 for World Series champ and $25 for the most improved team.

The 162-game season is broken up into nine turns, each containing an average of 18 games. Between turns you move players up and down from your minor league team to your major league roster. You can have up to five different batting lineups. You designate which starting pitcher will start each day. The amount of fine-tuning that you can do to your team is incredible.

For those who don't want that much detail, I have default settings. The turn itself is run by computer software.

Two of the teams that are available will probably make the playoffs next year unless they are run by real idiots. The third team finished last so it will be drafting first every round, and its manager will have a good chance to build his own playoff contender. We have a long and storied history of worst-to-first turnarounds by managers. Each team participates in the draft until it has a total of 40 players.

The third team will need a manager who is prepared to make a few trades before the draft, which is scheduled for the end of March. The top 16 players include 11 pitchers, so he might want to swap pitcher for hitter. This is definitely a contender for the most improved award.

Every team keeps a minimum of 16 players from last year. Below are the three teams that are available and the 16 players that I anticipate would be kept.

Contact me at mailto:thehinnens@sbcglobal.net -- I may not check this forum on a regular basis. Tell me which teams would be your first and second choice. Then tell me if you'd still be interested if you were stuck with the third choice.

Serious baseball junkies only please. You'll need to participate in an online draft through the entire last weekend in March and you'll need to send me 18 e-mails to cover your nine turns.

CHARLES BABBAGES (Playoff Contender): Albert Pujols, Bill Mueller, Magglio Ordonez, Luis Castillo, Miguel Tejada, Jason Varitek, Kenny Lofton, Mike Sweeney, Eric Gagne, Pedro Martinez, Freddy Garcia, Greg Maddux, Bartolo Colon, Byung-Hyun Kim, LaTroy Hawkins, Jeremy Affeldt

KNOXVILLE GELATINS (Playoff Contender): Nomar Garciaparra, Frank Thomas, Larry Walker, Jay Gibbons, Jacque Jones, Carlos Lee, Eric Chavez, Mike Lieberthal, Julio Franco, Preston Wilson, Matt Clement, Curt Schilling, Hideo Nomo, Mark Prior, Francisco Cordero, Shigetoshi Hasegawa

JORDAN ALMONDS (Draft First Every Round): Juan Gonzalez, Ramon Hernandez, Rafael Palmeiro, Lance Berkman, Jose Vidro, Tim Hudson, Wade Miller, Matt Morris, Barry Zito, Livan Hernandez, Paul Quantrill, Tim Worrell, Alan Embree, Armando Benitez, Braden Looper, Chad Bradford
Maximus
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Classifieds