The troubling Tampa Bay sportswriters - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The troubling Tampa Bay sportswriters

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby scr » Sat May 26, 2007 7:41 pm

HipHipJorge wrote:Chrisy your ignorance is astounding.

You do not know, and do not ever call me a facist again. I am a public defender and work my ass off for people like Duke.

You do not know me and do not know what I do...I have an opinion and that does not make me a fascist..it makes me a person, if you have nothing to offer, than do not respond any longer

Interesting career, a public defender. Must be tough to do a job when it appears you have already prejudged your clients.

Seriously, it is possible you can become jaded about people after defending people as a public defender. I would imagine you get the poorest, least articulate, and culturally challenged clients.

Since you have defended "people like Dukes", I take it you know the man personally?

If you don't know the man personally, I'm at a loss to understand how you can exactly say with such certainty that you know his character, and thus, can render an objective affirmation of his guilt?

Interesting. From a public defender no less. Let's hope I never run out of money and get jammed up.

Thanks Chrisy for the positive words ;-D
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Sat May 26, 2007 7:45 pm

scr wrote:

You do not know, and do not ever call me a facist again. I am a public defender and work my ass off for people like Duke.

You do not know me and do not know what I do...I have an opinion and that does not make me a fascist..it makes me a person, if you have nothing to offer, than do not respond any longer

Interesting career, a public defender. Must be tough to do a job when it appears you have already prejudged your clients.

Seriously, it is possible you can become jaded about people after defending people as a public defender. I would imagine you get the poorest, least articulate, and culturally challenged clients.

Since you have defended "people like Dukes", I take it you know the man personally?

If you don't know the man personally, I'm at a loss to understand how you can exactly say with such certainty that you know his character, and thus, can render an objective affirmation of his guilt?

Interesting. From a public defender no less. Let's hope I never run out of money and get jammed up.

After reading through the various topics on Dukes, I will admit that you are passionate about your beliefs scr. You should apply for a job with the St. Pete Times, you would fit right in.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby scr » Sat May 26, 2007 7:53 pm

Tavish wrote:
scr wrote:

After reading through the various topics on Dukes, I will admit that you are passionate about your beliefs scr. You should apply for a job with the St. Pete Times, you would fit right in.

Me, with the SPT?

...Nahhhhhhh.

I usually like to wait for all the facts to come in before looking like an idiot. I'm good at that (looking like an idiot). ;-D
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NWSoxaholic » Sat May 26, 2007 8:14 pm

Sigh..... I know it's probably impossible that you are in anyway wrong and that you have everybody who has posted a response pegged as someone who wants to burn Elijah Dukes at the stakes, so after this post I won't respond until scr can provide the new information that changes what the media has put out.

Compounding matters is that even in the face of new evidence, the tampa media continues to run with the story.

Here's a newsflash-Dukes has not been convicted of anything, no less being labeled by a reckless beat writer as a bully. Any meaningul basis to opine that Dukes is a "bully"?

Def. of "bully"-browbeat: discourage or frighten with threats or a domineering manner; intimidate

...now- if this following part of the story doesn't fit that definition (unless of course, it's not true- you tell me..), I don't know what does..

According to Wednesday's St. Petersburg Times, Dukes' wife, NiShea Gilbert, played a message that she said was from her husband.

"Hey, dawg," said an angry voice. "It's on, dawg. You dead, dawg. I ain't even bulls-------. Your kids too, dawg. It don't even matter to me who is in the car with you. N-----, all I know is, n-----, when I see your m-----f------- a-- riding, dawg, it's on. As a matter of fact, I'm coming to your m----- f------ house."

..sending pictures of guns kinda sounds like bullying also.

You wish to believe the guy is guilty so bad you can't see that this writer violated the very basics of journalistic integrity. A well crafted, manipulated article using a real victim of spousal abuse to manipulate your emotions.
[/quote]

...until I see this new evidence, Shelton is going with what is out there. I honestly don't care if the guy is guilty or not- but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

[/quote]According to court and law enforcement documents, Dukes has several arrests.

Hillsborough deputies were called to break up a fight between Dukes and NiShea Gilbert on Dec. 8, 2003, shortly after the birth of their child. According to an arrest report, Dukes threw a remote control at Gilbert and was arrested on an assault charge. Formal charges were never filed.
He was arrested again on Dec. 25, 2003, and accused of obstructing an officer without violence. Prosecutors allowed him to enter an intervention program.
On Oct. 12, 2004, Dukes was charged with misdemeanor battery. The case was never prosecuted.
He was arrested again on a charge of battery on Jan. 18, 2005. He did not contest the charge and the judge withheld adjudication, sentencing Dukes to one year probation and $549 fine.
According to the Tampa Police Department, one of Dukes' ex-girlfriends filed a sworn request for prosecution against him on Jan. 24, 2005. The ex-girlfriend, Zanquesha L. Jefferson, told police that Dukes choked her with his right hand and forced her into a chair. He squeezed her cheeks while demanding a kiss, the records show. The outcome of the complaint could not be determined Wednesday.
Dukes' most recent arrest was in January, when he was charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession. He pleaded not guilty.

OK, well- have fun with your media crusade and keep us updated on Elijah
NWSoxaholic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HipHipJorge » Sat May 26, 2007 8:17 pm

Ha...I chose to be a public defender...I graduated near the top of my class in law school

Unlike many people on the internet, myself included obvisiouly, like to cry and moan about the problems with the world.

See that is why I became a PD...because I actually want to make a difference in this world as opposed to postulating and bitching about a terrible baseball player and a rampant, disasterous, dastardly press.

The thing you and chrissy do not understand is there different opinions on this matter. The fact that either of you made it personal to me just shows your lack of credibility ;-D Way to make yourselfs look like fools by attacking a person credibility and/or occupation because of a differing opinion.

It seems like Chrissy and yourself have made the same assumptions about my character that you are so mad the reporters did about Dukes :-°

I am finished now
HipHipJorge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AdvRider » Sat May 26, 2007 8:32 pm

HipHipJorge wrote:On a side note, for the guy who wants state regulated news dissemination, you should check out the Constiution, I believe it is under the First Amendment.

My post was with tongue firmly in cheek. ;-7
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sat May 26, 2007 8:39 pm

Usually people who are losing arguments tend to try and make it a personal thing...
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby scr » Sat May 26, 2007 8:49 pm

HipHipJorge wrote:Ha...I chose to be a public defender...I graduated near the top of my class in law school

Unlike many people on the internet, myself included obvisiouly, like to cry and moan about the problems with the world.

See that is why I became a PD...because I actually want to make a difference in this world as opposed to postulating and bitching about a terrible baseball player and a rampant, disasterous, dastardly press.

The thing you and chrissy do not understand is there different opinions on this matter. The fact that either of you made it personal to me just shows your lack of credibility ;-D Way to make yourselfs look like fools by attacking a person credibility and/or occupation because of a differing opinion.

It seems like Chrissy and yourself have made the same assumptions about my character that you are so mad the reporters did about Dukes :-°

I am finished now

Alright, HHJ, don't take the toys out of the sandbox. Come back.

I'm sorry a little sarcasm offended you. Really, I was just being sarcastic. I mean, seriously, you didn't think the "running out of money and getting jammed up" comment was the least bit funny?

C'mon. Laugh a little. Don't get mad-get posted!

I was serious about the jaded thing. Sometimes people get so used to their clients attitudes, they can presume the next guy is guilty as well. My problem is that such a presumption is based on past history of a certain client's profession without the benefit you may have given your client's at the outset of your career. I bet you were very enthusiastic when you began your career. After dealing with the level of clientele you have chosen to defend over the years, it is possible you could become jaded.

I've got the same thing going on in my job. Don't trust any of my clients, because it seems like everyone is always trying to get over on you.

I guess Ronald Reagan said it best when referring to the Russians: "Trust, but verify".

Sorry for everyone seeming to get agitated. I just don't think it is responsible for folks to make up their minds as to someone's guilt or innocence without the benefit of all the facts. Since we don't have all the facts, how can we presume the guy is guilty? Since the media doesn't have all the facts, how can they write the stuff they have written?

All I'm asking for is full disclosure before rendering a verdict. That doesn't mean the guy (Dukes) is innocent. It just means waiting before harming someone without all the facts. Patience is usually what allows cooler heads to prevail.

That's all. Just a little patience.

Now lets all hold hands and sing "Kum-by-ya".

(C'mon-now that was funny). ;-D
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Sat May 26, 2007 9:09 pm

So was it really Dukes that left the voicemail threatening to kill the woman and her children? Did Dukes go by the school? Did Dukes send a photo of his gun to her?

Or did the media make those up? Because unless I'm missing something, any normal person with any conscience wouldn't do those things.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby scr » Sat May 26, 2007 9:46 pm

Yoda wrote:So was it really Dukes that left the voicemail threatening to kill the woman and her children? Did Dukes go by the school? Did Dukes send a photo of his gun to her?

Or did the media make those up? Because unless I'm missing something, any normal person with any conscience wouldn't do those things.

It depends on what your definition of normal is.

Lets assume that he did these things.

If you take into account the possibility that she may have wiped him out financially (in essence, stolen from him) and threatened with whatever i.e., lifelong child support obligations in excess of his income, I can see him losing it and saying what he said. Sorry, but I've seen many a legitimate person lose it in the heat of a divorce and said things like he said (although the threatening the kids thing is a little over the top, personally). Perhaps the reality of a nasty divorce is not known to some posters. Threats by both spouses in a matrimonial action are more than common, they are normal heated exchanges.

If he meant to act on his threats, don't you think he would have done so at the school?

Is the phone call a basis to sit the guy a couple of games? Of course. Does the guy have anger management issues? Absolutely. He's admitted as much. He's working on it...maybe.

If, at the end of the day, Dukes knows he has a problem and does not work to cure it (anger issues), then he, sadly, has to go. If it turns out that wifey stole from the guy, capitalized on his temper tantrum for a better divorce settlement, and events come out that shed light on further misconduct from the wife, then, sorry, folks, Robbie Neyer and the SPT owe Dukes one heck of an apology.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers