The troubling Tampa Bay sportswriters - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The troubling Tampa Bay sportswriters

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby scr » Sat May 26, 2007 2:19 pm

pope wrote:
scr wrote:
NWSoxaholic wrote:
This is not the first time the Tampa media has gotten it wrong.


Sooo.... what did they get wrong? I checked out The St. Pete Times like you said and didn't really see anything horrible.



Are you kidding me?

here's just a sample of todays's SPT:

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/05/26/Sport ... cycl.shtml[url]


Elijah the bully. Gary's right on top of it!

Comparing Dukes to instances of unequivacle, real abuse, without allowance for the the entire story. Brutal.[/url]


Your link doesn't work.

Remember when Jorge Julio dribbled his wife's head off the hood of his car? That was years ago. The media frenzy was so intense that Houston released him and he caught in *gasp* Tampa Bay.



Sorry about that. Google the St. Pete times. Will take you to today's edition. Front page story. Brutal.
Image
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 395
Joined: 3 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jswede » Sat May 26, 2007 2:47 pm

scr wrote:
Yoda wrote:
rjforlife wrote:and what exactly is your plan to eradicate this kind of reporting?


Make everyone stop buying newspapers and watching the news. ;-)



Here's a true story for you.

A person is the subject of a slanted newspaper article written by a loose canon reporter who took a few tidbits of information and came up with a breaking newspaper story that promised more coverage to come.

The person who was the subject of said breaking news (unflattering to say the least) was outraged. This person set about to visit every advertiser in said newspaper requesting an ad boycott. Upon acquiring the consent of the advertisers, said person went to the newspaper, met with the editors, and guess what...

The following edition found zero breaking news, but instead found a "fluff piece" extolling the virtues of this person. Never again was a wrong word written about this person.

Amazing what happens when there are consequences to irresponsible journalism. True story.


That would work wonderfully for Dukes, I am sure.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 702
Joined: 15 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Chicago

Postby rjforlife » Sat May 26, 2007 2:56 pm

scr wrote:
Yoda wrote:
rjforlife wrote:and what exactly is your plan to eradicate this kind of reporting?


Make everyone stop buying newspapers and watching the news. ;-)



Here's a true story for you.

A person is the subject of a slanted newspaper article written by a loose canon reporter who took a few tidbits of information and came up with a breaking newspaper story that promised more coverage to come.

The person who was the subject of said breaking news (unflattering to say the least) was outraged. This person set about to visit every advertiser in said newspaper requesting an ad boycott. Upon acquiring the consent of the advertisers, said person went to the newspaper, met with the editors, and guess what...

The following edition found zero breaking news, but instead found a "fluff piece" extolling the virtues of this person. Never again was a wrong word written about this person.

Amazing what happens when there are consequences to irresponsible journalism. True story.



i still dont know what you are suggesting be done about this. :-?
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7509
(Past Year: 740)
Joined: 25 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vegas Baby

Postby HipHipJorge » Sat May 26, 2007 3:08 pm

So you say it is a reporters' fault for doing his job? Do you think a reporter would write articles if no one bought them?

This is ridiculous. I would rather have 100 "loose cannon" reporters running around than ever thinking about restricting the press. Without the press the President of the US would have been able to spy on individuals i.e. watergate

These men get paid millions of dollars to play sports. F'in sports. With that money and fame comes the spot light. If you do not do anything wrong you will not be in the spot light.

As for no one going to the devil rays games..its because they suck, not because of the media.

You want the media to stop writing scathing articles about your players...stop drafting scum bags, its simple.

On a side note, for the guy who wants state regulated news dissemination, you should check out the Constiution, I believe it is under the First Amendment.

I would rather have possibly untrue articles, or "unfair" articles about a man who threatened to kill his wife, than regulating all media.
HipHipJorge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 535
Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sat May 26, 2007 3:32 pm

HipHipJorge wrote:So you say it is a reporters' fault for doing his job? Do you think a reporter would write articles if no one bought them?


What does that really mean?

Nothing, it's a nonsensical statement. The issue is the morality of a persons actions. It's not like some guy at the bar trashing a player, it's a powerful institution represented by many factions, the fourth branch of our government. The damage done is two fold. One part are the many who will now unfairly judge and therefore treat another human being, the other is the self destructive nature of publicly hanging someone before trial. The media looks bad in the eyes of the insightful. It's only hurting itself and our nation by such borderline (maybe not) libel and slander.
Image
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1536
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: 6 feet under

Postby scr » Sat May 26, 2007 3:36 pm

HipHipJorge wrote:So you say it is a reporters' fault for doing his job? Do you think a reporter would write articles if no one bought them?

This is ridiculous. I would rather have 100 "loose cannon" reporters running around than ever thinking about restricting the press. Without the press the President of the US would have been able to spy on individuals i.e. watergate

These men get paid millions of dollars to play sports. F'in sports. With that money and fame comes the spot light. If you do not do anything wrong you will not be in the spot light.

As for no one going to the devil rays games..its because they suck, not because of the media.

You want the media to stop writing scathing articles about your players...stop drafting scum bags, its simple.

On a side note, for the guy who wants state regulated news dissemination, you should check out the Constiution, I believe it is under the First Amendment.

I would rather have possibly untrue articles, or "unfair" articles about a man who threatened to kill his wife, than regulating all media.



OK, I gonna try this one more time. 1+1=2. All the time. Very easy to grasp.

I am faulting the tampa reporters for NOT doing their job. Creating a fiction of an article(s) by selectively omitting key relevant facts is bad enough.

Basing such misrepresentations as the foundation for ruining a person's career (with the resultant effects of consequence to innocent children), is over the line.

Compounding matters is that even in the face of new evidence, the tampa media continues to run with the story. No retractions. No apologies. No recognition of the new facts that have come to light.

Is this the type of journalism you want?

Journalism that ruins careers, without fair and accurate reporting?

No, what I (and all of us) should demand is, if you choose to hold the responsibilities that come with reporting, responsibilities that require that you get a story right, than either you do it, or there's consequences.

That's not regulating. It's called accountability. If I screwed up my job the way the Tampa media has screwed up this story I would have been fired a long time ago.

And yes, you can hold the SPT and Rob Neyer accountable. If you are smart enough, you can organize an advertising boycott of the SPT in protest to their biased reporting. No tickie, no shirtee. You can't run a business without income, and the SPT gets theirs from advertisers. You can hold a press conference and publicly excoriate Rob Neyer, demand a retraction or an apology (see Imus) with the consequence of termination. Your press conference can headline with holding ESPN accountable for their employees actions.

Nobody's suggesting the press be censored. What I am suggesting is the press be held accountable for the harm caused by reckless reporting to the Tampa Baseball Franchise.
Image
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 395
Joined: 3 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HipHipJorge » Sat May 26, 2007 3:39 pm

Nonsensical statement?

For help here is the definition
Nonsensical: Foolish; absurd

It is not absurd or foolish to state that a reporters job is to report news. The news chosen to report is based on what sells. Therefore, if people do not care or enjoy this type of writing there would not be any..do you get it now?

Haha..libel and slander..tell me the facts you know as of now, and tell me what the reporter wrote.

What is your suggestion for changing the media? Who would regulate it and how?

In the eyes of the insightful the media may look bad, but what does that insight do without a coherent or realistic way to change it?

So basically you say something is bad without having any way of changing...I think that fits a lil better with the definition of nonsensical. ;-D

Edited for SRC's post:
Fair assement..I agree to a point with accountability. But for the others stating the media is the root of all evil and should realize that the media is a possible way to keep the government and judicial branch in check.

I would repeat, that I would gladly take 100 of these articles for one bringing to light an important social topic
HipHipJorge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 535
Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rjforlife » Sat May 26, 2007 3:46 pm

scr wrote:Nobody's suggesting the press be censored. What I am suggesting is the press be held accountable for the harm caused by reckless reporting to the Tampa Baseball Franchise.



im flying on down to st. pete, ill see that it gets done. ;-D
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7509
(Past Year: 740)
Joined: 25 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vegas Baby

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sat May 26, 2007 3:52 pm

HipHipJorge wrote:I would rather have 100 "loose cannon" reporters running around than ever thinking about restricting the press. Without the press the President of the US would have been able to spy on individuals i.e. watergate

These men get paid millions of dollars to play sports. F'in sports. With that money and fame comes the spot light. If you do not do anything wrong you will not be in the spot light.

As for no one going to the devil rays games..its because they suck, not because of the media.

You want the media to stop writing scathing articles about your players...stop drafting scum bags, its simple.

On a side note, for the guy who wants state regulated news dissemination, you should check out the Constiution, I believe it is under the First Amendment.

I would rather have possibly untrue articles, or "unfair" articles about a man who threatened to kill his wife, than regulating all media.


Wow, an overzealous liberal and a fascist wrapped up in one neat little package.

Perhaps you should refresh yourself on the controlling factors of our living document, the constitution. Free speech can only so far as to be free until it is damaging a person or group. The concept is, everyone is free to swing their arms wherever and however they please so long as they don't hit anyone. Libel, slander, speech encouraging acts of violence and cursing in public school classrooms are just a few limitations of our right to free speech. If libel, slander or language encouraging violent or oppression is being directed toward it's a legal matter. If it's only borderline than people in this country also have their rights to express their own opinions on the morality of the media in general and in this specific case.
Last edited by Chrisy Moltisanti on Sat May 26, 2007 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1536
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: 6 feet under

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sat May 26, 2007 3:55 pm

HipHipJorge wrote:Nonsensical statement?

For help here is the definition
Nonsensical: Foolish; absurd

It is not absurd or foolish to state that a reporters job is to report news. The news chosen to report is based on what sells. Therefore, if people do not care or enjoy this type of writing there would not be any..do you get it now?

Haha..libel and slander..tell me the facts you know as of now, and tell me what the reporter wrote.

What is your suggestion for changing the media? Who would regulate it and how?

In the eyes of the insightful the media may look bad, but what does that insight do without a coherent or realistic way to change it?

So basically you say something is bad without having any way of changing...I think that fits a lil better with the definition of nonsensical. ;-D

Edited for SRC's post:
Fair assement..I agree to a point with accountability. But for the others stating the media is the root of all evil and should realize that the media is a possible way to keep the government and judicial branch in check.

I would repeat, that I would gladly take 100 of these articles for one bringing to light an important social topic


scrs last post ^ answers your "questions".
Last edited by Chrisy Moltisanti on Sat May 26, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1536
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: 6 feet under

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Oct. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact