The troubling Tampa Bay sportswriters - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The troubling Tampa Bay sportswriters

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby scr » Sat May 26, 2007 1:38 pm

Yoda wrote:
scr wrote:
Yoda wrote:
scr wrote:
Yoda wrote:Were there not enough Dukes discussions in the other threads that you had to start yet another one?

Yoda, et-tu, brutus?

This thread is not about Dukes. This thread is about the growing malignancy known as the Tampa media and the resultant financial harm done to the Tampa Bay Baseball franchise.

It's about time somebody, somewhere, called these folks to task (since they are so fond of popping off irresponsibly about certain players).

If left unchecked, the media, left to themselves, may wrongly target any one of us in future opines. Should that occasion happen to you, Yoda, perhaps your view of this situation would rise to the level of concern that it should be now. There are real consequences to irresponsible journalism, consequences that should raise eyebrows now.

Yeah but then again I would never go on record to threaten to kill someone or her kids either. :-°

Yoda, if you have the time, take a gander at the st. pete times today. Tried and convicted by the writers, without sensibly putting the matter, as a whole, together. Dukes is now the official poster child of spousal abuse.

This is not the first time the Tampa media has gotten it wrong. Until a real, well publicized boycott of advertising revenues is implemented, these folks will continue to run with what sells rather than honest reporting. Last year's circus was relentless.

The bottom line is a smaller bottom line to ownership if they continue to cower to biased reporting. And again, this could happen to any one of us.

So what you are saying is that it is the media's fault that Dukes has a history of off the field problems? It is the media's fault that Dukes threatened to kill someone and he children? I guess it is also the media's fault that Young threw a bat at an ump and was caught on camera.

Man, Yoda, I expected better.

No, I am not saying it's the media's fault that Duke's has a history of off the field problems, or that Delmon threw a bat.

What is so difficult to understand?

What I am saying is so simple it's scary.

One more time. It is my opinion that journalism in the Tampa area focus entirely too much on the negative aspects of the Devil Ray players- far too much,- and in too many cases, interject their personal opinions that are, again, in my humble opinion, destructive to the point of costing not only careers, but real money to the Tampa Bay Baseball Franchise. What's troubling is the foundation of these opinions is based purely on speculation and one-sided reporting.

Nobody cared for Delmon's bat throwing. Nobody.

Did we need to read article after article every week about what a terrible person Delmon Young is, for the entire balance of the season?

With respect to Dukes. His past becomes irrelevant when the facts come out that the ex is a) not an angel b)wiped out his bank account and c) is involved in a brutal divorce where money is the central theme. What is most important here is to understand that the written word of journalists have long lasting consequences that effect careers, and to the thread's topic, franchise values. Accordingly, with such an effect, there must be accountability in journalism. So far, there has been no such need to address said accountability-even in the fresh wake of the Duke Lacross scandal.

what part of this don't you understand?

The consequence should be a boycott that effects the wallets of the SPT, and other such and necessary actions that effect the national media that runs with a story without regard to the truth.

This is (irresponsible and inaccurate journalism), unfortunately, far too pervasive and malignant in the Tampa media.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NWSoxaholic » Sat May 26, 2007 1:40 pm

This is not the first time the Tampa media has gotten it wrong.

Sooo.... what did they get wrong? I checked out The St. Pete Times like you said and didn't really see anything horrible.
NWSoxaholic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Sat May 26, 2007 1:41 pm

scr wrote:
Yoda wrote:
scr wrote:
Yoda wrote:
scr wrote:
Yoda wrote:Were there not enough Dukes discussions in the other threads that you had to start yet another one?

Yoda, et-tu, brutus?

This thread is not about Dukes. This thread is about the growing malignancy known as the Tampa media and the resultant financial harm done to the Tampa Bay Baseball franchise.

It's about time somebody, somewhere, called these folks to task (since they are so fond of popping off irresponsibly about certain players).

If left unchecked, the media, left to themselves, may wrongly target any one of us in future opines. Should that occasion happen to you, Yoda, perhaps your view of this situation would rise to the level of concern that it should be now. There are real consequences to irresponsible journalism, consequences that should raise eyebrows now.

Yeah but then again I would never go on record to threaten to kill someone or her kids either. :-°

Yoda, if you have the time, take a gander at the st. pete times today. Tried and convicted by the writers, without sensibly putting the matter, as a whole, together. Dukes is now the official poster child of spousal abuse.

This is not the first time the Tampa media has gotten it wrong. Until a real, well publicized boycott of advertising revenues is implemented, these folks will continue to run with what sells rather than honest reporting. Last year's circus was relentless.

The bottom line is a smaller bottom line to ownership if they continue to cower to biased reporting. And again, this could happen to any one of us.

So what you are saying is that it is the media's fault that Dukes has a history of off the field problems? It is the media's fault that Dukes threatened to kill someone and he children? I guess it is also the media's fault that Young threw a bat at an ump and was caught on camera.

Man, Yoda, I expected better.

No, I am not saying it's the media's fault that Duke's has a history of off the field problems, or that Delmon threw a bat.

What is so difficult to understand?

What I am saying is so simple it's scary.

One more time. It is my opinion that journalism in the Tampa area focus entirely too much on the negative aspects of the Devil Ray players- far too much,- and in too many cases, interject their personal opinions that are, again, in my humble opinion, destructive to the point of costing not only careers, but real money to the Tampa Bay Baseball Franchise. What's troubling is the foundation of these opinions is based purely on speculation and one-sided reporting.

Nobody cared for Delmon's bat throwing. Nobody.

Did we need to read article after article every week about what a terrible person Delmon Young is, for the entire balance of the season?

With respect to Dukes. His past becomes irrelevant when the facts come out that the ex is a) not an angel b)wiped out his bank account and c) is involved in a brutal divorce where money is the central theme. What is most important here is to understand that the written word of journalists have long lasting consequences that effect careers, and to the thread's topic, franchise values. Accordingly, with such an effect, there must be accountability in journalism. So far, there has been no such need to address said accountability-even in the fresh wake of the Duke Lacross scandal.

what part of this don't you understand?

The consequence should be a boycott that effects the wallets of the SPT, and other such and necessary actions that effect the national media that runs with a story without regard to the truth.

This is (irresponsible and inaccurate journalism), unfortunately, far too pervasive and malignant in the Tampa media.

What I don't understand is why you think this is anything new. This doesn't just happen with the Tampa meida. Get over it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RugbyD » Sat May 26, 2007 1:43 pm

of note is that mostly all media focuses on the negative because it sells better. why are we singling out Tampa media?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby joecahill » Sat May 26, 2007 1:54 pm

scr wrote:Yoda, if you have the time, take a gander at the st. pete times today. Tried and convicted by the writers, without sensibly putting the matter, as a whole, together. Dukes is now the official poster child of spousal abuse.

Man, am I behind the times. When did Jason Kidd lose that job? !+)
joecahill
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby rjforlife » Sat May 26, 2007 1:54 pm

and what exactly is your plan to eradicate this kind of reporting?
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)

Postby Yoda » Sat May 26, 2007 1:56 pm

rjforlife wrote:and what exactly is your plan to eradicate this kind of reporting?

Make everyone stop buying newspapers and watching the news. ;-)
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby scr » Sat May 26, 2007 2:05 pm

NWSoxaholic wrote:

Sooo.... what did they get wrong? I checked out The St. Pete Times like you said and didn't really see anything horrible.

Are you kidding me?

here's just a sample of todays's SPT:

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/05/26/Sport ... cycl.shtml[url]

Elijah the bully. Gary's right on top of it!

Comparing Dukes to instances of unequivacle, real abuse, without allowance for the the entire story. Brutal.[/url]
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pope » Sat May 26, 2007 2:13 pm

scr wrote:
NWSoxaholic wrote:

Are you kidding me?

here's just a sample of todays's SPT:

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/05/26/Sport ... cycl.shtml[url]

Elijah the bully. Gary's right on top of it!

Comparing Dukes to instances of unequivacle, real abuse, without allowance for the the entire story. Brutal.[/url]

Your link doesn't work.

Remember when Jorge Julio dribbled his wife's head off the hood of his car? That was years ago. The media frenzy was so intense that Houston released him and he caught in *gasp* Tampa Bay.
pope
College Coach
College Coach

Postby scr » Sat May 26, 2007 2:14 pm

Yoda wrote:
rjforlife wrote:and what exactly is your plan to eradicate this kind of reporting?

Make everyone stop buying newspapers and watching the news. ;-)

Here's a true story for you.

A person is the subject of a slanted newspaper article written by a loose canon reporter who took a few tidbits of information and came up with a breaking newspaper story that promised more coverage to come.

The person who was the subject of said breaking news (unflattering to say the least) was outraged. This person set about to visit every advertiser in said newspaper requesting an ad boycott. Upon acquiring the consent of the advertisers, said person went to the newspaper, met with the editors, and guess what...

The following edition found zero breaking news, but instead found a "fluff piece" extolling the virtues of this person. Never again was a wrong word written about this person.

Amazing what happens when there are consequences to irresponsible journalism. True story.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers