Recommend me some new albums - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Recommend me some new albums

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Recommend me some new albums

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat May 26, 2007 2:07 am

A friend just pointed out to me that my itune library doesn't have a lot of things past 2004. So I'm probably going to the record store tomorrow to get some new CDs. Any recommendations? I'm more of a alternative rock fan. I can't take CDs that are harder than System of a Down and anything softer than Sufjan Stevens will put me to sleep. Somebody suggested red jumpsuit apparatis to me, I wasn't terribly impressed. So what are some of the rock albums that you liked this year or last year. And where can I find infos on new albums so I can keep up?(hardly ever listen to radio now)
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Sat May 26, 2007 2:57 am

Billy Talent- Billy Talent II (if you consider SOAD hard, you might consider these guys hard too, except they make much better music than SOAD)

Plus 44- When Your Heart Stops Beating (Mark and Travis from Blink 182. Punk rock meets techno.)

Angels & Airwaves- We Dont Need To Whisper (Tom from Blink 182. Alt Rock meets U2.)

Relient K- Five Score and Seven Years Ago (A ton of fast paced, up beat songs, with the occasional slow song. Rediculously catchy, but not on the same suckiness level as Fall Out Boy.)

Brand New- The Devild & God Are Raging Inside Me (A bit of a letdown for me personally, but it's got a ton of quality tracks. Fantastic lyrics.)

Chevelle- Vena Sera (Another small letdown, but these guys can rock. Following up with Billy Talent, they might be too hard for your tastes.)

Incubus- Light Grenades (Yet another small letdown, but this was a huge step up from their last album. They continue to experiment with every album, and they have some killer tracks this time around.)

Tenacious D- Pick Of Destiny Soundtrack (If you havent seen the movie, dont buy the CD. These guys are hilarious, and can play!)
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat May 26, 2007 3:06 am

if you consider SOAD hard, you might consider these guys hard too, except they make much better music than SOAD

no, no, I like Billy Talent just fine. I just really can't take all the indescribable screaming and screeching or whatever that unlistenable sound that is in SOAD's albums, I gave them 2 chances. no way I'm giving them a third unless somebody completely convince me.

Thanks for the advice ;-D

Edit: Somebody has suggested arcade fire. How about them, I probably should be ashamed of myself for living in Montreal for 3 years and never heard of them(maybe they got big after I left?)
Last edited by PlayingWithFire on Sat May 26, 2007 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby cordscords » Sat May 26, 2007 3:14 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
if you consider SOAD hard, you might consider these guys hard too, except they make much better music than SOAD

no, no, I like Billy Talent just fine. I just really can't take all the indescribable screaming and screeching or whatever that unlistenable sound that is in SOAD's albums, I gave them 2 chances. no way I'm giving them a third unless somebody completely convince me.

Thanks for the advice ;-D

Edit: Somebody has suggested arcade fire. How about them, I probably should be ashamed of myself for living in Montreal for 4 years and never heard of them(maybe they got big after I left?)

A lot of people like arcade fire, they just arent my thing. A bit to "artistic" for me. Some tracks feel choppy, some tracks feel too soft, but I wont deny that have their fair share of tasty jams. Just not my kind of band is all.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat May 26, 2007 7:53 am

Ok, went for an early Wal Mart run. They don't have Arcade Fire's first album(which is the one I wanted to get), looked around, didn't see anything that impressed me. So I went to a small used record store next door that usually has pretty good collection and was surprised to find one copy of Funeral, sure the cd case is a bit scratched and cracked. But hey, it's only $8.99(and the CD work). And there goes my music budget for the month(will have to download anything if I want to hear anything new the rest of the month). After the first listen, I'm definitely impressed. I'm sure I'm missing a lot of lyrical intricacies after 1 and a half listen now. But musically, it's awesome. #1, #3, Wake up and Rebellions(lies) are the favorites so far.

Cordscord, I'll get to those something later this week.

Appreciate any other suggestions.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat May 26, 2007 8:37 am

There's a very Arcade Fire-esque band called New Ruins who's album I got on Emusic.com. I would recommend Mogwai quite a bit as well if you have not checked them out.

I would like emusic, something like 75 downloads/ month for $9.99 and they have some cool stuff. They have the other Arcade Fire albums and Mogwai.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby CheeseBeger » Sat May 26, 2007 9:35 am

2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat May 26, 2007 9:52 am

CheeseBeger wrote:Image

I'm pretty on top of those "old bands" releasing new albums, I'm just not terribly aware of those new bands I've never heard before.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat May 26, 2007 10:26 am

Not new but Spacemen 3 did an intriguing album called "Playing With Fire" several years ago that I often think of when I see your posts. Their stuff is kind of hypno-minimalist blues jams, not like a jam band at all, kind of a creepy stoned-out vibe but very otherworldly sounding.

"The Perfect Prescription" is generally considered their best record and there's a record that was released a year or two ago called "Forged Prescriptions" with 'demo' versions w/ more psychedelic mind bombs strewn into the mixes about which the liner notes explained that the band didn't go nuts on the released versions b/c one of them wanted to be able to play the album live w/o having extra people to add the extra layers or something like that.

Jason Pierce is in Spiritualized now but I have always liked the Spacemen a bit more as there's a raw energy there that I haven't quite found in Spiritualized.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat May 26, 2007 11:39 am

just downloaded Arcade Fire's 2nd album. Was a bit bummed by it, it sounds simpler(layer wise), grimmer....and worse :-/ . I know expecting something better than Funeral is like expecting Pearl Jam to do something better than Ten or Nas to do something better than Illmatic...but nonetheless I'm a bit disappointed. Still not a bad album, but no where close to as good as Funeral is. I'll probably get to Billy Talent next...
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk