Looking for some feedback - I locked out a manager - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Looking for some feedback - I locked out a manager

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should I have locked the dude out, or what?

Yeah, man. You kinda over reacted there...
No votes
Sounds to me like he quit. What's the big deal?
40%
Donate his money to Habitat For Humanity and tell him to shut his yap.
40%
"You are simply a f***ing low life...piece of crap Nazi thief."
20%

Total votes : 5

Looking for some feedback - I locked out a manager

Postby budo73 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:54 pm

This is in re: a Yahoo PLUS league. $25 buy in to Yahoo ($0 to me) with no cash prize. All owners joined as a public league. I don't know any of the owners on a personal basis.

There was a little brushfire that came up from a couple of owners who didn't pay attention to the rules when they joined...even AFTER I posted reminders on the league board well in advance about setting your lineups on time. I also posted it in the "comments" section when I published the league on the Yahoo board, looking for owners to join. Apparently that wasn't enough.

The league is set for weekly updates. Not everyone's favorite, I know, but it seemed to work ok back in the day when we didn't have the luxury of playing online. Not everyone can update their lineups everyday. One of our managers is currently in Afghanistan. I am sometimes away from a computer for several days at a time. Others have expressed similar reasons for not being able to compete in a daily league.

One particular owner was pretty persistent in trying to talk me out of it. This is ironic because he actually sent me an email prior to the season saying,

"Personally, I feel any adjustment after the draft begins is the same as taking steroids, betting, etc... just a lack of respect for the game...

Can you give me your assurance that once the draft begins, whatever rules are posted are the rules for the year?"

He and I went back and forth for quite a while. I was very fair and understanding about it and allowed him to speak his mind on the topic, but I remained firm and consistent that the rules are the rules and thanked him for his honest feedback. To change them would put the managers who actually signed on specifically for the weekly updates at a very distinct disadvantage. I did not feel that changing the rules for 4 or 5 out of the 12 owners because they didn't pay attention to the rules, no matter how clear I made them prior to the start of the season, was fair.

So then he publicly quit the league. Posted a message on the league board saying that because of my inflexibility and inability to listen to feedback, he was "opting out" and that he doesn't have any more interest in the league. He also sent me an email saying that he doesn't care about the money. In fact, he specifically said that if I manage to talk yahoo into a refund for him (I offered to try. They declined.) that I should "donate it to charity."

So I locked him out. My reason being primarily because if someone quits, opts out, steps away, whatever they want to call it, then I don't want to provide them with the means to make roster moves that might be detrimental to the fairness of the league. If they're out, they're out. I will admit that my move was partly based on frustration. I was tired of all the crybaby junk, and had no more patience for his illogical reasoning, his self-righteous high and mighty "I know better than you" attitude, and his bizarre inconsistencies and contradictions of his own words. I work in corrections. I know a combative troublemaker when I see them. Turned out I was right.

He has called me every name in the book. I'm a Nazi/Anti-Semite (because he's Jewish. That was the card that he played after threatening to sue me for $5000 didn't work), "little bitch," "asshole," etc. The list goes on. It's possible that he is still able to view other owners' emails from the league managers page, but outside of that, his only access to the league is through that annoying little "smack talk" feature on his team, where he daily updates his list of grivances to me, quite often in language that steps way out of the bounds of Yahoo TOS. He tells people that they shouldn't speak out or the Nazi Commish will ban them like I did to him. He says LOTS of things. Most recently he's acting like someone from the league is emailing him in support, and saying that they're afraid to speak out because they don't want to get banned. I've been taking the high road on it for six weeks. Haven't acknowledged him to himself or anyone else in the league, and oddly enough, no one else has said anything in reference to him either. And no, I doubt it's for fear of being kicked. I've very publicly stated that folks are welcome to lay out their criticism of the league etc. If that weren't the case, it'd be a seven man race. There has been a lot of criticism leveled at me on this topic by a pretty vocal minority, and they haven't been banned.

So my question to you guys is:

Did I over react? Would you lock out an owner that quits? I've seen it happen pretty consistently in almost every league I've played in (hey, we all know there's always going to be at least one deadbeat...) and I'm curious to know if that's your experience as well.

I should say for the record that being locked out is obviously a very reversible manager option. I could let him in at any point, although at this point, the guy's behavior since being locked has pretty much let me know that we're better off without him. Had it not gotten ugly, and all he did was quit and walk away, but later asked to come back in, I seriously doubt I would've given it a second thought. It is, after all, a paid league. If you haven't burned the bridge, then you probably deserve to continue crossing it at your leisure.

I am considering taking 25 bones out of my pocket and donating it to charity, as per his request. If I actually thought it would shut him up, I'd do it gladly, but I doubt that's the case.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Anyone got any thoughts?
budo73
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Knights » Fri May 25, 2007 11:02 pm

After a long post my response is going to be nice and short.

Given that the owner quit, and the hostility of it, I think you made the right decision to lock the team for the balance of the season. The last thing you want is this guy to just drop his roster out of frustration and then cause a league imbalance that way.

So in terms of locking his team, I think you made the right decision.
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 28)

Postby bartjones » Fri May 25, 2007 11:24 pm

You did the right thing. This was a guy who was a risk to dump his team for the sole purpose of messing up the rest of everyone's season. I had a disgruntled owner do that very thing not 2 months back in a Yahoo hockey league. Trying to clean up such a mess is tough, believe me. You didn't over react, you just did a good job as a commish and congrats on having the courage to do what you did to protect the rest of the players.
bartjones
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby budo73 » Sat May 26, 2007 5:37 pm

Wow. What a sh!tstorm. Now the guy has recruited another of the disgruntled into fabricating an email from me threatening to ban him as well. In case it even needs to be said, I did no such thing.

This will be my last experience with a public league. ;-D
budo73
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Danger » Sat May 26, 2007 7:10 pm

You did the right thing. He knew the rules coming into it and joined to try and change the rules? Why join a baseball team if you want to play basketball? Same logic. He said he quit the league so I see no reason for him even coming back to the league and talking sh*t much less argue about a locked roster when he apparently "quit."
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner