Trade Scenario Tourney:Round 1-jakeharv vs A flesher fantasy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Scenario Tourney:Round 1-jakeharv vs A flesher fantasy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who Provided The Better Response

Poll ended at Sun May 27, 2007 10:34 pm

Jake Harv 88
64%
A Flesher Fantasy
36%

Total votes : 33

Trade Scenario Tourney:Round 1-jakeharv vs A flesher fantasy

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri May 25, 2007 1:50 pm

Please don't respond to this thread until both contestants have done so.

You are the Tampa Bay Devil Rays GM

You are in the last place in the AL East....again...However, you are only 2.5 games away from 2nd place in the AL East. Your problems thus far has been again, pitching. Your bullpen have a hard time bridging the gap between starter and Al Reyes and your end of the rotation starter are far from spectacular so far. You have a wealth of prospect in AAA, not all of them playing great. Also, Iwamura is due back which is surely going to provide a boost to the team.

Make some roster moves(trades, call ups, send downs...) to sort the team out. The owner has said preseason that he expect better results than finishing last in the division, and with the recent struggle of the Yankees, Jays and the Orioles, the owner has challenged you to finish higher than that. Of course, this team being in Tampa, don't expect the owner to spend a lot of extra money.

Post the lineup/pitching staff after the trade. And if it's an unbalanced trades, please post who you'd drop from the 25 man and note where everybody you are getting is going if they are to be sent to the minors.

sorry deeray, can't give you one about the Rays. But I'm sure we'll hear expertise from you after both responses are posted. ;-)

for scenario suggestions, ideas or complains, pm PlayingWithFire at the cafe
Last edited by PlayingWithFire on Fri May 25, 2007 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jake_harv88 » Fri May 25, 2007 3:24 pm

First of all this would have been alot easier had we posted this about a week ago before Dukes decided he was a psycho killer. I'm actually pretty nervous about this as i'm sure Deeray has a much better plan than me, anyway here goes nothing :-°

Its clear to me that the rays have two strengths: OF and young SP. And their biggest weakness is their bullpen. Yes Reyes has been effective for now but is he a long term solution? Probably not, plus they just can't get to the guy anyways. I actually dont suggest the rays make alot of trades, especially for their infield. Instead i think they just need to find a way to stay semi competitive while they wait for uber prospects Longoria (3B, 10th prospect by baseball prospectus), and Brignac (SS, 11th prospect). They have a solid fit at 3B once Iwamura comes back who is signed for 3 years. This should give Longoria enough time to develop in the minors.

The rays have actually found themselves in a sticky situation by not trading Dukes/Baldelli when they still had the chance. Baldelli is still their best chip at this point. I think they are just going to have to wait it out with Dukes and hope that something good happens. Baldelli is signed through 2008 with club options through the next two years. Despite his injury I think they can still show-case him enough to get a deal done by the trading deadline. I think a trade to a team like the Nationals would be the best bet. The combination of church/langerhans/logans in CF has been pretty disappointing so far. The nationals have already expressed interest in moving Chad Cordero, and Rauch has proved to be effective as a replacement. Cordero would most likely need a new contract to get a deal done but i dont see him commanding too much value with a semi-disappointing year last year, at least i doubt the rays have to pay more than the $9 million they pay baldelli. I honestly could see a Baldelli for Cordero trade happening straight up, but if the nationals wanted more the rays could throw in fossum who's been poor this year but had limited success in the past.

The rays starters have been piss-poor at this point and I think its time to ramp this team up for the future. Kazmir and Shields are obviously mainstays, but lets bring up Hammel and Sonnanstine. Both have been effective at AAA posting good ratios and showing decent control. Sonnanstine probably has more potential long term (60 K/12 BBs). Niemann is actually ranked as a better prospect by baseball prospectus but the other two seem to be front of him. However, the bullpen needs help so I dont think it would hurt to bring Niemann up to pitch long relief and then move into the rotation when they need/ready to. All and all I think the rays look good long term and should be a very competitive team soon. Heres what my lineup looks like (this is with Iwamura who's coming back soon enough, so i figured its legit):

CF Upton
LF Crawford
3B Iwamura (long term longoria)
1B Pena
RF Young
2B Wiggington
DH Norton/Gomes
C Navarro
SS Harris (long term Brignac)

SP Kazmir
SP Shields
SP Seo
SP Sonnanstine
SP Hammel (keep the rooks at the bottom so we dont overstress)

LOOGY - The rays dont actually have a lefty in their BP right now but Camp has been used to get a single out or two a couple of times so I'll say him for now
Mop up - Ryu
Middle - Orvella
Middle - Niemann/Stokes
Setup - Reyes/Cordero
Closer - Reyes/Cordero (I think you stick with reyes in the closers role because hes been successful, but cordero will probably want the role sooner or later)

Anyway i'm usually not too keen on prospects on other teams and contracts and such so i'm not sure how i did here. I know the niemann in the bullpen move might not be very popular, but i tried to do a lot of research here so all and all I think i did pretty well. The rays do look very competitive soon so I'd say watch out. Critique away ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri May 25, 2007 10:33 pm

It is obvious that bullpen help is necessary, however I think it is imperative that Al Reyes stays in the closer role. He has a 2.08 ERA and 13 saves on a poor Devil Rays team, and has been one of the few bright spots this season. Also, he has 26Ks versus only 6 walks.

The Twins have an excellent bullpen, so losing one reliever is not a huge loss for them. Obviously, Nathan is not available, however with Reyes performing as he has in the closer role, Nathan is not the guy that would be logical to target. Shortstop Brandon Harris is a bright spot in this Devil Rays organization, however with Upton's ability to play shortstop if needed, as well as Brignac waiting for his opportunity to come up to the big leagues and play, Harris is the most logical person to trade in this situation.

While Longoria is clearly the future of their franchise, he is not ready to come up yet, and with Iwamura coming off the DL and they way Iwamura was playing before his injury, there is no reason to rush him to the majors.

Juan Rincon has posted a 2-0 record thus far in the season with a 3.18 ERA as the setup man for the Twins. If they traded him, they could move Neshek, who has been an excellent pitcher this year to the setup role. The Devil Rays could trade Harris for Rincon, who provides them with an excellent setup man.

The other upside to trading for a guy like Chad Cordero or Octavio Dotel is that Reyes won't have to worry about looking over his shoulder every time he makes a bad pitch, and he won't have to worry about maintaining his job as the closer. He can just go out there and pitch.

In addition, they could bring up Niemann and Soannstine as starters. They could then move the struggling Casey Fossum to the bullpen and option Edwin Jackson to AAA.

To replace Harris, they can use Brignac as a temporary replacement, and when Baldelli gets back from injury, they can use Upton at 2B.

C- Navarro
1B- Pena
2B- Wiggington
3B- Iwamura
SS- Birgnac (until Baldelli comes back, Upton once Baldelli comes back)
LF- Crawford
CF- Upton (Baldelli when he comes back)
RF- Young
DH- Gomes

SP- Kazmir
SP- Shields
SP- Seo
SP- Niemann
SP- Soannstine

LOGGY- Don't really see anyone great for here, but I suppose Ryu
Mop up- Orvella
Middle- Fossum
Middle- Stokes
Set up- Rincon
Closer- Reyes

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri May 25, 2007 10:35 pm

ok, polls open
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri May 25, 2007 10:43 pm

The upside is that either way, an Orioles fan will win. ;-D

A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

Postby Crimedogg32 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:46 pm

Dont like it for the Twins to trade there best set up man and potential closer when Nathan to expensive for an average at best SS when they have a young Bartlett at SS. Crain is also hurt right now and Reyes struggling so doesnt help their position right now either
Crimedogg32
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jfg » Fri May 25, 2007 10:52 pm

I didn't like either. Sorry. First off, the Twins bullpen is in disarray right now with all the injuries so they aren't trading anyone. Second, the D-Rays are only two games out of second. You don't want to bring inexperienced guys in to catch up.

You couldn't trade Baldelli for a veteran starter and just bring one young guy up? They need a veteran starter in that rotation.

I don't know who to pick here because you both are trying to fix a situation with raw talent when the goal was to get into second place or at least move up. I'll go with the one that didn't try to pull from the Twins bullpen.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri May 25, 2007 10:53 pm

Well, who would take Baldelli with all his injuries? And with respect to Bartlett, he just isn't good. Simple as that.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

Postby jfg » Fri May 25, 2007 11:34 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Well, who would take Baldelli with all his injuries? And with respect to Bartlett, he just isn't good. Simple as that.

You can get something for him. That rotation needs a veteran pitcher to teach. Somebody would be willing to give up a #5 veteran starter for Baldelli. Texas could use Baldelli and they could give up any of their starters other than McCarthy and add in a 3 star prospect. Or if we're trading with the Twins- Silva and a 3 star in the system.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers