Will Willits Play? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Will Willits Play?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Willits Play?

Postby RedBirdsFan1487 » Fri May 25, 2007 12:52 pm

He sat out Thursday and ESPN says he wants to play today. I need steals, but in playing Willits, I have to sit the red hot Markakis(facing Haren, not sure he can do anything against him). Another question, the only reason I'm playing him is to get steals, so w/ the hamstring, will he run tonight? He has 3 SB in the last 7 days, so it can't be slowing him too much, right? Any thoughts?
The One...The Only...
RedBirdsFan1487
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Will Willits Play?

Postby MTUCache » Fri May 25, 2007 1:06 pm

RedBirdsFan1487 wrote:He sat out Thursday and ESPN says he wants to play today. I need steals, but in playing Willits, I have to sit the red hot Markakis(facing Haren, not sure he can do anything against him). Another question, the only reason I'm playing him is to get steals, so w/ the hamstring, will he run tonight? He has 3 SB in the last 7 days, so it can't be slowing him too much, right? Any thoughts?

Despite the red hot start, I think it's pretty likely that Willits is going to be cooling off very quickly. Figgins did well in the leadoff spot yesterday (1-2 + 2BB against a wicked Bonderman), and with Kendricks return there's going to be an odd man out.

If you're just in it for the SB, I think you'd have to start considering some better options.

We'll see where he ends up in the lineup over the next few days, but I've got a feeling he's going to be dropping quite a ways.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pantagrapher » Fri May 25, 2007 3:20 pm

RedBirdsFan1487 wrote:He sat out Thursday and ESPN says he wants to play today. I need steals, but in playing Willits, I have to sit the red hot Markakis(facing Haren, not sure he can do anything against him). Another question, the only reason I'm playing him is to get steals, so w/ the hamstring, will he run tonight? He has 3 SB in the last 7 days, so it can't be slowing him too much, right? Any thoughts?

I think he hurt the hammy on his last stolen base. As far as I know, he sat as a precaution. From the Angels website:

Manager Mike Scioscia said he hoped the day off would have Willits back in shape for the three games with the Yankees.

"He's a little tight in the hamstring, so we'll keep him off it," Scioscia said. "Hopefully, he'll get back in [the lineup] tomorrow and we'll see how it feels. It's precautionary."

I don't see Socia sitting a leadoff man who has an OBP well into the .400s and a perfect record on the basepaths. I gather Willits returns to the lineup today and he'll be fine.
pantagrapher
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby OT2000 » Fri May 25, 2007 4:31 pm

MTUCache wrote:Despite the red hot start, I think it's pretty likely that Willits is going to be cooling off very quickly. Figgins did well in the leadoff spot yesterday (1-2 + 2BB against a wicked Bonderman), and with Kendricks return there's going to be an odd man out.

LOL

sweet.. can you make any other baseless predictions??
OT2000
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bwanna » Fri May 25, 2007 5:58 pm

The Yahoo beta site (http://beta.baseball...) has him out of the starting lineup.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/tbd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 254)

Postby powenM » Fri May 25, 2007 6:19 pm

OT2000 wrote:
MTUCache wrote:Despite the red hot start, I think it's pretty likely that Willits is going to be cooling off very quickly. Figgins did well in the leadoff spot yesterday (1-2 + 2BB against a wicked Bonderman), and with Kendricks return there's going to be an odd man out.

LOL

CFiggins is not the answer at leadoff. his BA has been on the decline for a couple yrs now and hes never had a great OBP. Hes basically a 1cat player - SBs anyhow.

Why in the world would u think this. The Angels r going to run with RWilits and his scorching 422 OBP.
Just traded BButler, BWood & JLoney for Mark Teixeira, Ryan Theriot & Renyel Pinto in a DYNASTY LEAGUE. Big gamble I know!
powenM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby skapur20 » Fri May 25, 2007 6:41 pm

powenM wrote:
OT2000 wrote:

LOL

CFiggins is not the answer at leadoff. his BA has been on the decline for a couple yrs now and hes never had a great OBP. Hes basically a 1cat player - SBs anyhow.

Why in the world would u think this. The Angels r going to run with RWilits and his scorching 422 OBP.

Figgins is the answer at leadoff. so the guy has a down year last year in avg and on base% and you completely right him off?

"his BA has been on the decline for a couple yrs now"

did you really jus pull that out of your @ss?

2003 - .296 avg
2004 - .296 avg
2005 - .290 avg
2006 - .267 avg(1 down year, last year)

Figgy will be the man, cause this is Willits downfall. Did you really think Willits was gonna keep up the 360 avg and the 420 onbase%??[/quote]
ummm lets go angels? :)
skapur20
College Coach
College Coach

Postby yassassin » Fri May 25, 2007 7:20 pm

alright, I'm gonna try to reel this back into a civilized fantasy baseball chat... Willits is too risky because of the Angels' lineup and where they can fit him in - NOT because of his batting. I personally don't think he's going to drop too far in AVG and OBP.
does anybody in your league have Figgins? I think you could totally buy low on him if so. He'd be a good guy to have on your bench (2B, 3B, OF ,on Yahoo at least), and once he heats up - which I believe he will - he'll have some good stats for you.
yassassin
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MTUCache » Fri May 25, 2007 10:26 pm

OT2000 wrote:

LOL

Sorry.... didn't mean to offend your fragile sensibilities with my opinion.

I'd be more than happy to hear yours, rather than you just laughing at mine. If you genuinely think that Willits is going to keep this pace up (and hold off the other players in line for that spot), then that's fine. I might actually respect your opinion.... depending on what sort of things you're basing your opinion on.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GregJeffries » Sun May 27, 2007 12:24 am

I think the Angels will keep finding ways to get him ABs, even with Kendrick and Figgins....Willits gets on base, is hitting for great average, and never gets caught stealing. The Angels have been winning while he's been playing real well. I'll bet it doesn't go unnoticed by Scioscia and the crew.
I don't think he's gonna keep up THIS pace, though.

that being said, IF Figgins and Kendrick get hot and Willits gets cold, who the hell knows.
GregJeffries
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates