Man really liked his lawn... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Man really liked his lawn...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wake » Wed May 30, 2007 10:14 pm

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Madmin wrote:but the simple fact of the matter is I was in the wrong and none of it ever would have happened had I respected that man's property and thought about it correctly in the beginning.

I know that you really didn't have a leg to stand on at the time but it seems to me that you did have respect for his property. You knocked on the door. What more could you have been expected to do?? If anything, knock, no answer, game over. Other than that, what is the issue??

Exactly. We should have either figured out who else had a ball, or the game was over. Instead, we wanted to play, so I climbed his fence, at which point I was at fault completely for not respecting something owned by someone else. I shouldn't have laid one finger on his fence, much less climbed over it. And I served my punishment for failing to think of his property and the proper way to act, over my desire for the game to continue.

I think you were respecting his property though since you had good reason to go over there and were not doing anything malicious. There are bigger concerns with kids than if they go onto someone's yard for 10 seconds to retrieve something. As a parent I would've expected the neighbor to come out and ask you not to jump over his fence again. If you did do it again, it's a different story. And yes, I would've grilled out the neighbor if I knew he grabbed my kid and dragged him into his house.

Besides, would it have been any more respectful if you left the balls sitting on his lawn rather than picking them up? I would be much more annoyed with kids leaving stuff on my property than coming over for a second to get them.

As for the man in the original story, it wasn't as if he was powerless to do anything about the kid. Instead of waiting with a gun, why not just have a hose ready. I'm sure the kid would stop walking across the lawn if he got sprayed in the face a few times.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed May 30, 2007 10:37 pm

wake wrote:
Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Madmin wrote:but the simple fact of the matter is I was in the wrong and none of it ever would have happened had I respected that man's property and thought about it correctly in the beginning.

I know that you really didn't have a leg to stand on at the time but it seems to me that you did have respect for his property. You knocked on the door. What more could you have been expected to do?? If anything, knock, no answer, game over. Other than that, what is the issue??

Exactly. We should have either figured out who else had a ball, or the game was over. Instead, we wanted to play, so I climbed his fence, at which point I was at fault completely for not respecting something owned by someone else. I shouldn't have laid one finger on his fence, much less climbed over it. And I served my punishment for failing to think of his property and the proper way to act, over my desire for the game to continue.

I think you were respecting his property though since you had good reason to go over there and were not doing anything malicious. There are bigger concerns with kids than if they go onto someone's yard for 10 seconds to retrieve something. As a parent I would've expected the neighbor to come out and ask you not to jump over his fence again. If you did do it again, it's a different story.

Here's the thing though, who am I, as a kid, to decide something about someone else's property? It's his fence, his land. My wanting to play ball overrides his right to not have his fence or land touched? I disagree. He owns it, not me. His call 100%.

Plus, fences are there for a reason. You don't put up a fence if you don't care if people are on your property. ;-)

wake wrote:And yes, I would've grilled out the neighbor if I knew he grabbed my kid and dragged him into his house.

No worries. It's just the way today's society is.

wake wrote:Besides, would it have been any more respectful if you left the balls sitting on his lawn rather than picking them up? I would be much more annoyed with kids leaving stuff on my property than coming over for a second to get them.

Actually yes, it would have been more respectful to leave the ball and come back later to see if he was home (since we thought he wasn't home originally). Think about it for awhile. The guy probably would have been impressed that none of us disrespected him or his property by jumping his fence and getting on his land. We extended him respect by thinking of him first. At which point he could have told us that if it happened again, go ahead and get the ball. We would have extended him the proper courtesy and then the ball would have been in his court to tell us his wishes for his fence and land. At which point we'd know if he was nice and it wasn't a big deal, or if it really irritated him and would be best if we found somewhere else to play. Either way, problem solved with everyone earning respect from everyone else, instead of me disrespecting him and getting into trouble.

wake wrote:As for the man in the original story, it wasn't as if he was powerless to do anything about the kid. Instead of waiting with a gun, why not just have a hose ready. I'm sure the kid would stop walking across the lawn if he got sprayed in the face a few times.

No telling what this guy already tried. I haven't seen a story that talks about all of that. I'd think in 5 years time and just how important the land is, the guy probably tried whatever he could think of. Then again, I could be wrong, but I don't know. Maybe a story will come out where he lists what all he did to try to fix the problem. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed May 30, 2007 10:41 pm

We live in a corner house and I did see a kid ride his bike across once and it did sort of torque me off. My first thoughts were '1) get string 2) tie up across yard 3) set up video camera 4) pwnage [although this was before YouTube....]) but, once the grown up caught up to the juvenile delinquent, I figured 'if he kills the grass, I don't have to mow it' which strikes me as a more rational response.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk