Man really liked his lawn... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Man really liked his lawn...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Wed May 30, 2007 2:11 am

pokerplaya wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
Madison wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
Madison wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Say if somebody step on your lawn tomorrow, would you be ticked and go all ballistic on him? No you wouldn't. You don't have anger management problem(as far as I can tell). Nicely telling the kids' parents about the kids' wrong doing will have the same effect on what the parents will do. Good parents will still educate the kid, bad parents still wouldn't care.


Nah, I wouldn't go crazy on the kid or anything, but I've never cared for my lawn like the guy in question either. :-D

Here's the thing though. The kid should have already been taught better and known better. Doesn't matter if the guy nicely asked the boy to stay off the lawn or if he hurled 4 letter insults at him, it should have been a reminder to the child that he's on property that someone else owns and cares about. And that child should have acted accordingly, not ignored the guy's wishes about his own property. The child is in zero position to have a say so about any of it. Get off the lawn and stay off. Very simple.

Plus, read the story. 5 years of problems with this kid and the kid's parents. Eventually people crack and go nuts, and I'm sure the old guy will have plenty of time to get his head back together and think about exactly what he did while he's in jail (and I've said several times he went overboard and should not have killed the kid).


Agreed. However, if there is any reason for the death penalty, I think this is it...do you agree? :-?


You're kidding right? I've seen tons of more deserving people for the death penalty than this guy.

This guy was provoked for 5 years and finally cracked. Not nearly as bloodthirsty, mean, and deserving of the death penalty as some of the other stories around here, and all they got was life in jail.

That said, if by some chance a sentence were to come down and he be given the death penalty (and there's no way that happens), I wouldn't go nuts screaming about how he doesn't deserve it or anything. He will get life due to being provoked and mentally cracking under the stress, which is what happened, so that works just fine for me.


Very much serious. I understand the idea of being provoked for years and cracking, but I usually file those under the case of being abused and not walking on someone's lawn.

Again, maybe a regional thing, but I think he is deserving of whomever throws whatever at him. :-t


And also, I don't deny the fact that others may have been more worthy of a harsher penalty. I'm not privy to every case that is out there, but if there ever was a senseless murder, I think this qualifies.


But it is abuse, as the guy couldn't get it stopped in the 5 years. Think about that. For 5 years this guy's property was trampled on by a child with zero manners and/or upbringing, and there was nothing he could do to stop it (nothing worked obviously). It does qualify as being provoked. That's the difference in this guy and all the stone cold killers out there who rape and then murder people for no reason at all. Those are your clear cut death penalty deservers right there. I'm actually not fond of life in jail at all. However, in a case like this where someone cracks do to the contstant provoking, I can sympathize a bit and be fine with life in jail.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby pokerplaya » Wed May 30, 2007 2:27 am

Madison wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
Madison wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
Madison wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Say if somebody step on your lawn tomorrow, would you be ticked and go all ballistic on him? No you wouldn't. You don't have anger management problem(as far as I can tell). Nicely telling the kids' parents about the kids' wrong doing will have the same effect on what the parents will do. Good parents will still educate the kid, bad parents still wouldn't care.


Nah, I wouldn't go crazy on the kid or anything, but I've never cared for my lawn like the guy in question either. :-D

Here's the thing though. The kid should have already been taught better and known better. Doesn't matter if the guy nicely asked the boy to stay off the lawn or if he hurled 4 letter insults at him, it should have been a reminder to the child that he's on property that someone else owns and cares about. And that child should have acted accordingly, not ignored the guy's wishes about his own property. The child is in zero position to have a say so about any of it. Get off the lawn and stay off. Very simple.

Plus, read the story. 5 years of problems with this kid and the kid's parents. Eventually people crack and go nuts, and I'm sure the old guy will have plenty of time to get his head back together and think about exactly what he did while he's in jail (and I've said several times he went overboard and should not have killed the kid).


Agreed. However, if there is any reason for the death penalty, I think this is it...do you agree? :-?


You're kidding right? I've seen tons of more deserving people for the death penalty than this guy.

This guy was provoked for 5 years and finally cracked. Not nearly as bloodthirsty, mean, and deserving of the death penalty as some of the other stories around here, and all they got was life in jail.

That said, if by some chance a sentence were to come down and he be given the death penalty (and there's no way that happens), I wouldn't go nuts screaming about how he doesn't deserve it or anything. He will get life due to being provoked and mentally cracking under the stress, which is what happened, so that works just fine for me.


Very much serious. I understand the idea of being provoked for years and cracking, but I usually file those under the case of being abused and not walking on someone's lawn.

Again, maybe a regional thing, but I think he is deserving of whomever throws whatever at him. :-t


And also, I don't deny the fact that others may have been more worthy of a harsher penalty. I'm not privy to every case that is out there, but if there ever was a senseless murder, I think this qualifies.


But it is abuse, as the guy couldn't get it stopped in the 5 years. Think about that. For 5 years this guy's property was trampled on by a child with zero manners and/or upbringing, and there was nothing he could do to stop it (nothing worked obviously). It does qualify as being provoked. That's the difference in this guy and all the stone cold killers out there who rape and then murder people for no reason at all. Those are your clear cut death penalty deservers right there. I'm actually not fond of life in jail at all. However, in a case like this where someone cracks do to the contstant provoking, I can sympathize a bit and be fine with life in jail.


I politely disagree. But I don't think we can go any further with this debate, so I will leave it at that. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12812
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed May 30, 2007 2:30 am

pokerplaya wrote:I politely disagree. But I don't think we can go any further with this debate, so I will leave it at that. ;-D


No worries at all :-) . Would be a boring world if everyone agreed on everything. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 30, 2007 3:01 am

Madmin wrote:but the simple fact of the matter is I was in the wrong and none of it ever would have happened had I respected that man's property and thought about it correctly in the beginning.


I know that you really didn't have a leg to stand on at the time but it seems to me that you did have respect for his property. You knocked on the door. What more could you have been expected to do?? If anything, knock, no answer, game over. Other than that, what is the issue??
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Madison » Wed May 30, 2007 3:08 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Madmin wrote:but the simple fact of the matter is I was in the wrong and none of it ever would have happened had I respected that man's property and thought about it correctly in the beginning.


I know that you really didn't have a leg to stand on at the time but it seems to me that you did have respect for his property. You knocked on the door. What more could you have been expected to do?? If anything, knock, no answer, game over. Other than that, what is the issue??


Exactly. We should have either figured out who else had a ball, or the game was over. Instead, we wanted to play, so I climbed his fence, at which point I was at fault completely for not respecting something owned by someone else. I shouldn't have laid one finger on his fence, much less climbed over it. And I served my punishment for failing to think of his property and the proper way to act, over my desire for the game to continue.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 30, 2007 3:09 am

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Madmin wrote:but the simple fact of the matter is I was in the wrong and none of it ever would have happened had I respected that man's property and thought about it correctly in the beginning.


I know that you really didn't have a leg to stand on at the time but it seems to me that you did have respect for his property. You knocked on the door. What more could you have been expected to do?? If anything, knock, no answer, game over. Other than that, what is the issue??


Exactly. We should have either figured out who else had a ball, or the game was over. Instead, we wanted to play, so I climbed his fence, at which point I was at fault completely for not respecting something owned by someone else. I shouldn't have laid one finger on his fence, much less climbed over it. And I served my punishment for failing to think of his property and the proper way to act, over my desire for the game to continue.


Fair enough. The bottom line is that you thought about it but not completely through. Better than nothing.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Coppermine » Wed May 30, 2007 8:34 am

Is life in jail really sympathy over the death penalty? Frankly, I'd rather die.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby sportsaddict » Wed May 30, 2007 1:33 pm

Coppermine wrote:Is life in jail really sympathy over the death penalty? Frankly, I'd rather die.


See that's how I feel, just that living the rest of your life behind bars with no control over your life would be worse than just dying. But I'd be interested to hear the other side of the story, too.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1961
Joined: 2 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The good old Midwest

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed May 30, 2007 2:17 pm

I think that lawn guy also had the alternative of calling the police rather than taking matters into his own hands. As the punk would have been 'tresspassing' he would be able to do this, could back himself up w/ photographic evidence or whatever....
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Postby Coppermine » Wed May 30, 2007 2:42 pm

sportsaddict wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Is life in jail really sympathy over the death penalty? Frankly, I'd rather die.


See that's how I feel, just that living the rest of your life behind bars with no control over your life would be worse than just dying. But I'd be interested to hear the other side of the story, too.


Not to mention some of maximum security jail's "extra-curricular" activities.

Look, I understand the argument that maybe this guy was provoked. Even so, if you shoot some kid for walking on your lawn, you're nuts. You're a crazy person... and you're clearly unfit for living in a society.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kyyldynra, unioreimi and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Apr. 17
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Cleveland at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Toronto at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Seattle at Texas
(2:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(3:45 pm)
Colorado at San Diego
(6:40 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(7:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Houston
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact