Man really liked his lawn... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Man really liked his lawn...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wake » Fri May 25, 2007 11:55 pm

Madison wrote:
wake wrote:
Madison wrote:Gotta admit this guy went overboard and deserves the punishment he got. Can't leave this thread without mentioning that if the kid had one ounce of respect, none of it ever would have happened though.

He is probably that type neighbor though that it's impossible not to take a couple steps on his lawn every time time you pass by it.

How is it impossible to not step on someone's lawn? 8-o

More like being lazy and/or not having a good enough upbringing to me. Granted, I'm judging this kid off of one story, but with the level of rudeness he displayed, I think it fits.

I don't know how many times this occurred but my take on the article was that the kid walked through it once on his way to a friend's and the guy gave him a hard time over it. When he came back through it on his way home, the man shot him. Judging by how much the man overreacted the 2nd time the kid came through, I'm guessing he was probably a real jerk about it when he first confronted the kid rather than just politely asking him if he could go around his lawn next time. When I was a teenager, I probably would've come back through his lawn too if he had been a real jerk about it the first time I passed through.

I'm just guessing how this all happened though. It's possible that the kid walked through his lawn many times and the man was polite about it at first before it escalated.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sat May 26, 2007 2:08 am

wake wrote:[I don't know how many times this occurred but my take on the article was that the kid walked through it once on his way to a friend's and the guy gave him a hard time over it. When he came back through it on his way home, the man shot him. Judging by how much the man overreacted the 2nd time the kid came through, I'm guessing he was probably a real jerk about it when he first confronted the kid rather than just politely asking him if he could go around his lawn next time. When I was a teenager, I probably would've come back through his lawn too if he had been a real jerk about it the first time I passed through.

I'm just guessing how this all happened though. It's possible that the kid walked through his lawn many times and the man was polite about it at first before it escalated.

You'd intentionally escalate the problem? What possible good could/would come from you walking through his yard when you know it's going to upset him? What makes a teenager think they are going to teach an adult a lesson, or even have a right to try? The teenager is trespassing, is on property they do not own, and couldn't legally own if they wanted to (see the absurdity of the thinking!?), so get off the lawn. It's not that hard.

Oh, and try 5 years of problems with the kid and the kid's parents. The "jerk" in question is a 66 year old Navy veteran. Original story and link to the thread:

I saw this on CNN this morning. Amazing...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/20/boy.shot.ap/index.html

Neighbor charged with shooting teen who walked on his grass

BATAVIA, Ohio (AP) -- A man who neighbors say was devoted to his meticulously kept lawn was charged with murder in the shooting of a 15-year-old boy who apparently walked across his yard.

Charles Martin called 911 on Sunday afternoon, saying calmly: "I just killed a kid."

Police, who released the call's contents, said Martin also told the dispatcher: "I've been harassed by him and his parents for five years. Today just blew it up."

Larry Mugrage, whose family lived next door, was shot in the chest with a shotgun. The high school freshman was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Martin, 66, allegedly told police he had several times had problems with neighbors walking on his lawn. He remained jailed without bond Monday. His jailers said no attorney was listed for him.

Neighbors said Martin lived alone quietly, often sitting in front of his one-story home with its neat lawn, well-trimmed shrubbery and flag pole with U.S. and Navy flags flying.

Joanne Ritchie, 46, said Mugrage was known as "a good kid." She said she always also considered Martin to be friendly.

Union Township is near Batavia, about 20 miles east of Cincinnati, Ohio.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=178743

I said in that thread the old man went overboard, but the kid definitely had zero upbringing and the parents are to blame as well. It's not just some crazy old man with 100% of the blame on him. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby soxfan364 » Tue May 29, 2007 10:13 pm

Overboard? Yeah killing someone over your lawn is a bit overboard.
I have a neighbor who's dog barks nonstop everytime me and me kids go outside, but I don't want to kill him or the dog. Even though the dog drives me nuts.
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue May 29, 2007 10:38 pm

That is utterly ridiculous. If it rains for 5 days or if it rains on day #5, you should chill the heck out and not cut the grass as wet grass is much more likely to be uneven, particularly in the temperate climate of Ohio. I would probably have taunted him on his lawn too, b/c that was so ridiculous, except that lawns are so ridiculous that it's not even worth taunting anyone about. They should have given him the death penalty as I am certain that they should have been able to prove some premeditation here. :-t
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue May 29, 2007 10:57 pm

Madison wrote:Gotta admit this guy went overboard and deserves the punishment he got. Can't leave this thread without mentioning that if the kid had one ounce of respect, none of it ever would have happened though.

You've never stepped on somebody else's lawn. And what would happen if they were a b****(can't afford the 3rd strike) about it?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RyanK » Tue May 29, 2007 11:48 pm

"I cared about it. I cut it every five days."

"I just killed a kid."

those stuck out to me as funny... or well, not "funny" but somewhat laughable for the story.. in some sick way.. i guess
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Wed May 30, 2007 12:43 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:

You've never stepped on somebody else's lawn. And what would happen if they were a b****(can't afford the 3rd strike) about it?

When I was a kid? Sure I did. Even got yelled at in 4 letter words I couldn't say at the time. I apologized to the person and didn't walk on their lawn again.

People act like that's such a big thing, or too difficult to do. Quite sad that even kids think the entire world owes them something and they have the right to do whatever they please. :-/

Here's a good one. Once some friends and I were playing ball in a lot (about the size of three houses - lots hadn't been sold yet so no homes had been built on the property yet) with houses and fenced in yards around that lot. So of course someone hits the ball over one of the fences and into a backyard. We go around to the front and knock on the door hoping to get the ball back. No one answers. So we go back around to where the ball went over the fence and see where it's resting against one of the other sides of the fence. Since no one's home (we thought), I jumped the fence to get the ball. Just so happens the owner came out of the back door, I could tell he wasn't happy, and told me to come here. I did as I was told and he grabbed me by my shirt and marched me through his house and to my front door (8-10 houses away). He then knocked on the door and proceeded to tell my father that I climbed over his fence and into his yard to get my ball. My father asked me if that was true, and it was, so I said yes. My father apologized to the man, made me apologize to the man, and I got grounded for a week (and it was summertime! baseball time!). Taught me quite a bit about respecting other people's property. Shame more kids are not taught manners and respect, but I do hold out hope that eventually parents will be parents again and the world will be a better place for it.

Oh, and I'm aware in the above fence scenario that several parents in today's world would be mad at the guy and chew him out for grabbing their kid and making a big deal about what they feel is nothing, but the simple fact of the matter is I was in the wrong and none of it ever would have happened had I respected that man's property and thought about it correctly in the beginning. No doubt about it, and nothing there to argue.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed May 30, 2007 12:58 am

Oh, and I'm aware in the above fence scenario that several parents in today's world would be mad at the guy and chew him out for grabbing their kid and making a big deal about what they feel is nothing

it is nothing, you were kids. I've always been a good kid and don't take a whole lot of risks in general, but it's absolutely unnecessary to chew a kid out over this. A good conversation with the parents would have done just as much if not more good.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Wed May 30, 2007 1:00 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Oh, and I'm aware in the above fence scenario that several parents in today's world would be mad at the guy and chew him out for grabbing their kid and making a big deal about what they feel is nothing

it is nothing, you were kids. I've always been a good kid and don't take a whole lot of risks in general, but it's absolutely unnecessary to chew a kid out over this. A good conversation with the parents would have done just as much if not more good.

First response. What a shocker. :-b

Ah well. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed May 30, 2007 1:01 am

Madison wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

First response. What a shocker. :-b

Ah well. B-)

Too tired to understand :-?
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk