Ever Declared "E-mail Bankruptcy?" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Ever Declared "E-mail Bankruptcy?"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby theclefe » Fri May 25, 2007 12:48 pm

My millions of fans already know they shouldn't email me constantly. They are only allowed one question a decade.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Fri May 25, 2007 1:02 pm

knapplc wrote:So you guys never cruise through your SPAM folder to double-check that something didn't get misrouted? I do that in both Hotmail and Gmail. Maybe I should stop.

I kind of feel guilty about the Gmail thing. A guy I met for like two hours while on vacation in Paris gave me an invite and now I have an account, but I barely use it. I still use Hotmail as my primary account, mostly because I've had it since 1997 and everyone knows it now. I think it would be a pain in the butt to switch over now. :-/

No, it's easy! You just need to transition people over and updating someone's email address is the easiest thing. Just monitor both accounts for a while, and when they send to hotmail you just remind them "my address is now mailto:giantballs4u@gmail.com, use it or lose it!" and voila, that's it.

Checking spam folders are basically an exercise in futility.... unless you're like me and occasionally feel a rush from reading about things like:

"Number one natural weight loss suppressant"

"Dear beloved friend, My names are Larry Obi, I will be 17 by 1st July this year and I am in my final year in computer training school and an orphan."

and

"Keith,Losing your hair? Get a hair loss DVD - no payment required" (they know my name AND that I'm losing my hair!!!)

"Vidios qoxs: spicy zxst Cyprians eua ass xwqo *expletive removed* by huc Man!" (There were only 3 English words in that subject and I had to remove one of them)
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby roninmedia » Fri May 25, 2007 1:10 pm

I've done that already on a Yahoo account. I made a mass e-mail to everyone on my contact list I was moving to a different e-mail.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby CheeseBeger » Fri May 25, 2007 4:11 pm

Yes I hate that forwarded MOD EDIT I always get.

My grandfather is now blocked.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri May 25, 2007 5:52 pm

Coppermine wrote:
ironman wrote:
knapplc wrote:You don't get spam to your Gmail spam folder? I'll have as much or more spam there as I will with my hotmail account.

Is there something I can do to cut down on all that Gmail spam?

I think he meant that he hardly gets any Spam in his actual Inbox. I don't really pay attention to my Spam folder. It fills up quite a bit, but I just empty it. As long as I don't have to sift through a bunch of Spam in my Inbox I don't really care if my Spam folder gets really full.

Oh, I get plenty of spam in my Gmail spam folder, however I have less in there than I had in my Hotmail inbox. I never even open the folder, everything just sits in there. It seems to be up to nearly 3000 spam messages... if it doesn't empty itself out, that's 3000 messages in three years. Not too shabby IMO.

Also, I have two Gmail accounts; one is a spam account. Anytime I need to sign up for something, I give my spam Gmail. I check it periodically to make sure I'm not missing anything important, but for the most part even that is good at filtering the Spam.

I used to get a boatload of spam on my Gmail's spam folder, but interestingly enough, it's dwindled to the point where it's nothing but a single digit total. I have 6 spam mails on my primary Gmail account.

I've never done an e-mail bankruptcy except, but I've slowly transitioned from e-mail address to another. I just let folks know as they e-mailed me or IM'ed me that I was switching to a new email. On occasion, I'll check up on my old Hotmail address, but it's been about 3 years since I've been on Gmail, and everyone I know should be up to code that it's my permanent email address from now on.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Previous

Return to General Talk