Prospect Euphoria - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Prospect Euphoria

Re: Prospect Euphoria

Postby talan37 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:36 pm

Most teams have atleast 1 bench spot that they can afford to rotate around to hit lightning in a bottle, or a particular draft strategy that includes taking chances on young guys.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re:

Postby Diamond Miners » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:09 am

Lofunzo wrote:
AdvRider wrote:
MTUCache wrote:But, if you're floundering, and you've got some struggling guys on your roster (especially at that position), then it may be worth a shot in the dark.

I'll disagree slightly. Nailing a prospect who turns into a stud is one of the keys to a top 3 finish, IMHO. In other words, it's more than worth a shot -- it's often required to take home a trophy, unless you have a killer draft.

True, most prospects will be either just acceptable or subpar, or start fast and fade faster. Then comes along a Pujols or a Cabrera (thinking back a couple of years) or a Liriano and -- sweet! ;-D

Do the research, play the hunch, and have fun!

But even Cabrera didn't do that great when he first came up. He had decent numbers but nothing that would make or break your team that season. In a non-keeper, I usually ignore those players unless I have room to spare. In keeper leagues, it gets hairy. I worry that people overvalue youth in keeper leagues. People reach for guys like Pence or Bailey just because they're in a keeper league. Make sure that you consider everything. If you keep 3 players, make sure that those kids will be among your 3. In many cases, they won't.

add to the fact that Wright was pretty good, but not great when he came out. Was drafted in the 8th round his soph. season. and Jose Reyes flat out sucked his rookie year. (but boy am I glad I drafted those guys in their later rounds)
Good luck, feel free to PM me
DM

Minor League forum
Diamond Miners
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Beginner's Forum