Replacing "Wins" With a Different Category...Suggestions? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Replacing "Wins" With a Different Category...Suggestions?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby EWeaver » Thu May 24, 2007 11:13 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Easy, use quailty start = QS.

Yeah, what's funny is how *totally obvious* that seems now that it's been suggested a few times, but that not a single person in the league thought to suggest it!

But yeah, I dig it. I'd love to see Yahoo! add it next year.
EWeaver
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu May 24, 2007 11:40 pm

Here's a suggestion:

Be a man and stick with Ws. Why are people so eager to take all the fun out of fantasy sports?

*$%# happens. That's the way life is. Sometimes your pitcher doesn't get a W, through no gosh-dern fault of his own. Sometimes your hitter hits the ball on the screws 5 times in the same game but doesn't record a single hit. That's baseball. That's life. A W is a W. It's a stat that's very important to a pitcher. It should be very important to your fantasy team too.

You know the variables, pitcher talent, pitcher durability, run support, matchup. Play the numbers and stop whining.

Sorry, the above commentary is not meant to be taken literally, except for that it mostly is.

In all seriousness, if you must, go ahead and go with QS.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby WhiteHot » Thu May 24, 2007 11:56 pm

BH...Blown Holds.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rounders » Fri May 25, 2007 12:10 am

i like k/9 and k/bb
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby clarkw267 » Fri May 25, 2007 12:25 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
akula wrote:a little off topic, but I think the best scoring format is 7x7:
R 1B HR SB BA RBI and OPS
IP, SV, L, ERA, WHIP, Hold and K.

Having IP and L essentially discourages blind streaming but u can still spot start at times. Good starters win IP, L, and Ks for u, and good RPs win SV, Hold while ERA and WHIP apply to both SP and RP.

For the batting categories, speedsters will help u with R, 1B, SB. Power hitters will help u with HR, RBI, OPS. BA apply to both. Hence it balances speed and power.

So this force u to build a very balanced team in order to win.

having singles is bad in my opinion. id rather have hits as a whole. how could hitting a double be worse than hitting a single. doesnt make any sense.

Agreed... how could hitting a 2B or 3B not be of value to your team, but a single is?

Total bases would be better, or just have Hits like Snakes said.
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Tavish » Fri May 25, 2007 12:28 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:Here's a suggestion:

Be a man and stick with Ws. Why are people so eager to take all the fun out of fantasy sports?

What is fun for some people isn't for everyone. Some people like playing with 20 categories, some like simplifying it all down to a single number with points leagues.

*$%# happens. That's the way life is. Sometimes your pitcher doesn't get a W, through no gosh-dern fault of his own. Sometimes your hitter hits the ball on the screws 5 times in the same game but doesn't record a single hit. That's baseball. That's life. A W is a W. It's a stat that's very important to a pitcher. It should be very important to your fantasy team too.

Why should it be important to a fantasy team? There is no such thing as a stat being important for a fantasy team, the only thing that is important is what makes the game the most fun for the people involved. If people don't like the randomness of Wins and want to try something different, more power to them. 4X4 wasn't the end all and be all of fantasy baseball, there are likely more people that play 5X5 now because they wanted something different.

You know the variables, pitcher talent, pitcher durability, run support, matchup. Play the numbers and stop whining.

You need to know the same thing to try and predict Quality Starts. The biggest difference is that it doesn't make pitchers who play for great teams more valuable simply because of the uniform. I personally don't like Quality Starts because it takes some of value away from MR who vulture a few wins throughout the season.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby bleach168 » Fri May 25, 2007 1:14 am

I have a 3.57 ERA and a 1.14 WHIP yet I'm last in Wins even though I'm pitching all my innings. The team I'm tied with for first place has a 4.34 ERA and a 1.36 WHIP and has nine more wins than me in the same amount of innings. How's THAT for fair?

And it's not like I drafted all NL west pitchers either. My pitchers are Sheets, Bonderman, Burnett, Vazquez, and Buehrle. Gosh darnit, I paid full price for run support, yet no love for me.

Meanwhile, my opponent has Olsen (4.76 ERA, 4 wins), Hamels (3.67 ERA, 6 wins), Wainwright (6.34 ERA, 3 wins), Ray (4.15 ERA, 3 wins). Those 4 guys equal my win total.

I shouldn't be tied with this guy, I should be CRUSHING him if it wasn't for the wins category.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Fri May 25, 2007 1:22 am

QS is as BS as W. There is nothing lacking quality in 9+ IP of 4 ER ball, especially versus the Yankees or Sox of today
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri May 25, 2007 1:35 am

i dont like wins as a catagory. its easy to pick up wins if your willing to take a chance on ERA. you can pick up some below average pitcher on a good offensive team going against a bad offensive team, and your almost guaranteed a win.
wins are overrated, not just in fantasy baseball but in real baseball.
you can have a pitcher with a low ERA/low WHIP/high K's ..but if his team doesnt give him run support he doesnt win.
or you can have a pitcher with a high ERA/high WHIP/low K's and yet gets alot of run support and finishes a season with 15+ wins.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 74)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri May 25, 2007 3:00 am

Tavish wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:Here's a suggestion:

What is fun for some people isn't for everyone. Some people like playing with 20 categories, some like simplifying it all down to a single number with points leagues.

Why should it be important to a fantasy team? There is no such thing as a stat being important for a fantasy team, the only thing that is important is what makes the game the most fun for the people involved. If people don't like the randomness of Wins and want to try something different, more power to them. 4X4 wasn't the end all and be all of fantasy baseball, there are likely more people that play 5X5 now because they wanted something different.

You need to know the same thing to try and predict Quality Starts. The biggest difference is that it doesn't make pitchers who play for great teams more valuable simply because of the uniform. I personally don't like Quality Starts because it takes some of value away from MR who vulture a few wins throughout the season.

I understand the point of view, and there's some merit to it, I just don't like it. It's sort of like poker, you get in there with the best of it and you hope for the best. I like to have an element of the game that is arbitrary to some degree. I was trying to be a little sarcastic with that post because I didn't mean to be disrespectful to anyone who preferred QSs, I just wanted to plug the status quo humorously.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers