Replacing "Wins" With a Different Category...Suggestions? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Replacing "Wins" With a Different Category...Suggestions?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Replacing "Wins" With a Different Category...Suggestions?

Postby EWeaver » Thu May 24, 2007 10:34 pm

One of my leagues is considering getting rid of "wins" as a stat.

Assuming the standard 5X5 arrangement (at least on the pitching end of things), does anybody have any suggestions? Right now we're leaning towards Innings Pitched (so the stat replacing Ws still heavily favors SPs in order to maintain balance), but about half the league hates IP to a crazy level.

I'm basically out of ideas.

Has anybody had success/enjoyment in one of their leagues by getting rid of the worst stat in sports?

:-B
EWeaver
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu May 24, 2007 10:42 pm

ip is stupid because then streaming/churning SP's is way more beneficial as compared to Wins, since winning a ballgame at least requires some skill...i would keep wins personally or at least add some categories.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby akula » Thu May 24, 2007 10:51 pm

a little off topic, but I think the best scoring format is 7x7:
R 1B HR SB BA RBI and OPS
IP, SV, L, ERA, WHIP, Hold and K.

Having IP and L essentially discourages blind streaming but u can still spot start at times. Good starters win IP, L, and Ks for u, and good RPs win SV, Hold while ERA and WHIP apply to both SP and RP.

For the batting categories, speedsters will help u with R, 1B, SB. Power hitters will help u with HR, RBI, OPS. BA apply to both. Hence it balances speed and power.

So this force u to build a very balanced team in order to win.
akula
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Thu May 24, 2007 10:54 pm

The usual response is QS if your host can handle it. Same line of thought as Wins, just a little more pitcher reliant than Wins.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby pokerplaya » Thu May 24, 2007 10:58 pm

Tavish wrote:The usual response is QS if your host can handle it. Same line of thought as Wins, just a little more pitcher reliant than Wins.

This was going to be my suggestion. It's essentially the same as W's but increases the value of great pitchers on mediocre teams.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu May 24, 2007 11:00 pm

akula wrote:a little off topic, but I think the best scoring format is 7x7:
R 1B HR SB BA RBI and OPS
IP, SV, L, ERA, WHIP, Hold and K.

Having IP and L essentially discourages blind streaming but u can still spot start at times. Good starters win IP, L, and Ks for u, and good RPs win SV, Hold while ERA and WHIP apply to both SP and RP.

For the batting categories, speedsters will help u with R, 1B, SB. Power hitters will help u with HR, RBI, OPS. BA apply to both. Hence it balances speed and power.

So this force u to build a very balanced team in order to win.

having singles is bad in my opinion. id rather have hits as a whole. how could hitting a double be worse than hitting a single. doesnt make any sense.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby EWeaver » Thu May 24, 2007 11:04 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
Tavish wrote:The usual response is QS if your host can handle it. Same line of thought as Wins, just a little more pitcher reliant than Wins.

This was going to be my suggestion. It's essentially the same as W's but increases the value of great pitchers on mediocre teams.

I really like this suggestion...but it's a yahoo! league and so...maybe they'll have QS as a stat next year? I suppose we could switch to CBS, but I for one really don't like CBS.

As for the 7X7 suggestion...I like those pitching categories - not a huge fan of the offensive cats, though.
EWeaver
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:07 pm

Easy, use quailty start = QS.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)

Postby sideofzen » Thu May 24, 2007 11:08 pm

I really wish Yahoo had a QS cat. I've never liked W as a pitching cat, and it's killing me in one league this year.
sideofzen
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JTWood » Thu May 24, 2007 11:12 pm

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers