Florida Marlins, Championship contenders? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Florida Marlins, Championship contenders?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bcb » Fri May 25, 2007 12:32 pm

When is Miggy's contract up?

I've read rumors here at the cafe that the Marlins would consider moving him instead of resigning. If they are track for another championship in the next year or two, I would think they would keep MCab around for his "veteran" leadership. (And by veteran I mean the kids is only 24 freakin years old. What a stud! ;-D)
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Fri May 25, 2007 12:39 pm

bcb wrote:When is Miggy's contract up?

I've read rumors here at the cafe that the Marlins would consider moving him instead of resigning. If they are track for another championship in the next year or two, I would think they would keep MCab around for his "veteran" leadership. (And by veteran I mean the kids is only 24 freakin years old. What a stud! ;-D)

I think leadership should be the word in quotes. I'm not entirely convinced that he's much of one right now.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby roninmedia » Fri May 25, 2007 1:03 pm

Miggy is a free agent in 2010. But you already know that arbitration cost is going to keep on ticking up. :-o

And you're right about leadership. Dontrelle Willis is a better leader than Miguel Cabrera, ignoring Willis's public urination charge earlier this year. :*)
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby hot4tx » Fri May 25, 2007 1:35 pm

swyck wrote:
Danger wrote:Unless attendance picks up in Florida, I don't think Loria is going to spend big money to bring in or keep players on that team. Business wise it's just not smart.

If you follow the history of the Marlins, they save money for years and then spend it in a bid for a title. They trade their stars and accumulate young talent and money, which is where they're at right now. IMO their rebuilding plan is going way better then expected, and I think that the purse strings loosen in a year or two.

Its not a bad way for a relatively poor franchise to compete. Why be mediocre every year?

Can someone forward this on to Tom Hicks? Thank you.

I'll be done when Bush is done being President and can buy the team back. At least he tried to win. /short rant over
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby CheeseBeger » Fri May 25, 2007 3:53 pm

Old_Style wrote:
bcb wrote:When is Miggy's contract up?

I think leadership should be the word in quotes. I'm not entirely convinced that he's much of one right now.

Apparantly Miggy has a terrible attitude problem.

If they want to loosen up the purse strings once again and go for a championship, they better lock up Miggy.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers