Moral Dilemma - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Moral Dilemma

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby noseeum » Thu May 24, 2007 11:37 pm

He has number one waiver priority. All he has to do is go claim the guy, and it doesn't matter what you do.

If the league is big enough, all owners should be putting in a claim. If he misses it, the number two guy should have him. So why should you miss out on the guy?

If this were my best friend, I'd claim him and call him right after to rub it in his face for being so dumb as to make a trade, then not check in on it. And laugh for five minutes. Then buy him a beer of course.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SirDunkALot » Thu May 24, 2007 11:39 pm

sooner711 wrote:If there wasn't a problem with it, you wouldn't be asking the question. I think you already know the right thing to do.

;-D

Sound advice and very good reasoning. Friendship > Fantasy Baseball. Seems like your great friends with this guy and he wants to get Gallardo and traded for the sole purpose of it. $3000 is a lot of money, though.. so I understand why your back and forth.
SirDunkALot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu May 24, 2007 11:39 pm

For a friend, I would probably tell him just in the spirit of being a good friend. If it were a total stranger, I'd just claim him.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby fezzik » Thu May 24, 2007 11:48 pm

pokerplaya wrote:If he's a friend and he has openly stated to me that he is going to pick up Gallardo with the waiver, I would tell him.

It seems like he is a victim of poor timing with Yahoo's additions out of nowhere and his vacation this weekend.

Call me a softy if you will, but I agree with this... ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Rounders » Thu May 24, 2007 11:49 pm

I wouldn't expect any of my friends to tell me, and I wouldn't tell them. If you're in a competitive league with that much money on the line you should keep tabs on the players you want. I went on a cruise last year and lost a closer to injury and I didn't have internet access, so a buddy ended up getting the new closer (I would expect no less). I don't tell anyone in the league anything that I think can work against me in the future.
Also, if he hadn't told you his plans, you would've never thought to let him know Gallardo was on waivers, so why should you have to tell him know just because he divulged his plans to you? Just because a buddy tells me they're keeping an eye on a player doesn't mean I'll tell them when the player is available. I'm in charge of my team, not watching out for another guys team.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby d18Mike » Thu May 24, 2007 11:49 pm

If this guy is maze bright enough that he traded for #1 WW Priority, he sounds like the kind of guy who is capable of taking care of himself.

I play in a lot of leagues with good, and in some cases lifelong, friends. I'd lend some of these guys $1,000 in a heartbeat and never worry if they'd pay it back or not. But beating them to the punch or outwitting them in a trade is half the fun of the game.

Frankly in a league populated with friends, I wouldn't know where to draw the line. "You're my first bestest friend, and you are my second bestest friend ... "

This is Fantasy Baseball not Brokeback Baseball. You play the game to win.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pepperoncino » Thu May 24, 2007 11:56 pm

If he implicitly stated that he was trading for the #1 waiver priority to claim Gallardo, then that is tantamount to trading for Gallardo. Gallardo gets added to the database early and he happens to be on vacation? I would let him know, it's the right thing to do, friend or not.
pepperoncino
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby pokerplaya » Fri May 25, 2007 12:35 am

It's not like it's all over ESPN that he is coming up this weekend, because he's not. If he was, it would be a different story.

But this is all because Yahoo decided to add some stud players to the database with little to no warning of their constituency.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby DVauthrin » Fri May 25, 2007 3:10 am

if you know he wants gallardo with the waiver, then you have to tell him. friendship > fantasy sports.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 13)

Postby theclefe » Fri May 25, 2007 3:29 am

If you have a 3-plus waiver spot, not the #2, then there should be no doubt. If he simply had the #1 spot, I would say no, but he traded up for it and told you specifically why. I wouldn't let a friend get screwed over because of Yahoo's idiocy.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers