Helton, Fuentes in Pinstripes??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Helton, Fuentes in Pinstripes???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby uucrook3d » Fri May 25, 2007 10:16 am

well i dont think it is going to happen either but i would assume that is what the rox would ask for. maybe they would go after gardner instead... either way the deal probably isnt going to happen
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Fri May 25, 2007 10:44 am

godallahstar wrote:tabata?

riiiiiiiiight.

I mentioned Tabata earlier and I could see the Yanks moving him but not for Helton and Fuentes. But, there's not much else in the Yankees system to get excited about. So, I don't think this deal happens. But, I think if the Yankees are in the hunt which isn't a stretch Tabata could get moved for a big name 1B. Seems to me Texas has one plus a has been reliever...
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri May 25, 2007 10:50 am

I think it is a LOT more likely that the BoSox trade for Helton and Fuentes.

- Helton was willing to waive his no-trade to Boston in the offseason
- The Sox have adequate funds to pay for Helton
- The Sox sounded like they'd send Lowell to Colorado the last time a deal was in the works, moving Youkilis to 3B
- The Sox could trade Youkilis instead of Lowell
- The Sox could have Fuentes setup Papelbon this year, then move Papelbon back to the rotation next year.
- The Sox have more trade bait in the minors than the Yanks - pitching and OF prospects anyhow.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby uucrook3d » Fri May 25, 2007 12:08 pm

sox fans would revolt if they traded youkilis. not gonna happen. and i really dont see paps moving back to the rotation anytime soon. also, sox already have OK as the top setup guy. he happens to also be a lefty. no sense in having 2 top tier setup guys...
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Coppermine » Fri May 25, 2007 12:09 pm

Fuentes has been a very effective closer for the rox this year; not sure why they'd want to deal him.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jbauer2485 » Fri May 25, 2007 12:18 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:is it smart for the Yankees to bring in someone like Helton?
as someone who doesnt like the Yankees i say go for it.. another aging vetran with an unmovable contract.
sure Helton has been having a nice year so far, but i dont buy it lasting. the previous 2 seasons hes been a better hitter in Colorado(surprise 8-o ) so going to NY, would he be the same, or worse?
plus what it would take to get Helton and/if Fuentes.. im guessing young players.
so maybe the Yankees will be getting even older and trading away young players.. yeah good move ;-D
if the Yankees were smart, they would forget about bringing in aging vetrans, unless they get them real cheap.. and i dont think Helton and Fuentes will or should come cheap.

i personally hope Fuentes doesnt get traded, unless its somewhere else to close because hes the only real top tier closer i have.

Don't forget that "real cheap" to the Yankees is really expensive to almost every other team except Boston and the other teams in the top in spending.

If they can get Helton and Fuentes for next to nothing, like the way they got Abreu and Lidle in basically a salary dump, they should take it. It's just money, and they aren't trading any of their top prospects.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 25, 2007 12:22 pm

jbauer2485 wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:is it smart for the Yankees to bring in someone like Helton?
as someone who doesnt like the Yankees i say go for it.. another aging vetran with an unmovable contract.
sure Helton has been having a nice year so far, but i dont buy it lasting. the previous 2 seasons hes been a better hitter in Colorado(surprise 8-o ) so going to NY, would he be the same, or worse?
plus what it would take to get Helton and/if Fuentes.. im guessing young players.
so maybe the Yankees will be getting even older and trading away young players.. yeah good move ;-D
if the Yankees were smart, they would forget about bringing in aging vetrans, unless they get them real cheap.. and i dont think Helton and Fuentes will or should come cheap.

i personally hope Fuentes doesnt get traded, unless its somewhere else to close because hes the only real top tier closer i have.

Don't forget that "real cheap" to the Yankees is really expensive to almost every other team except Boston and the other teams in the top in spending.

If they can get Helton and Fuentes for next to nothing, like the way they got Abreu and Lidle in basically a salary dump, they should take it. It's just money, and they aren't trading any of their top prospects.

As a rockies fan I'd be very upset :~(
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby jfg » Fri May 25, 2007 12:27 pm

Coppermine wrote:Fuentes has been a very effective closer for the rox this year; not sure why they'd want to deal him.

Do you think he'll be a good closer for years to come though? Good closers that last a long time tend to be great closers. I wouldn't profile Fuentes as a great closer. I think it'd be smart for a team that's not headed to a postseason very soon to deal Fuentes, before he gets closer money.

That said they'd be dumb to deal Helton because they wouldn't get much for him other than fewer fans....and they'd be really stupid if they traded Atkins this low. But, I don't think that would ever happen.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 25, 2007 12:46 pm

jfg wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Fuentes has been a very effective closer for the rox this year; not sure why they'd want to deal him.

Do you think he'll be a good closer for years to come though? Good closers that last a long time tend to be great closers. I wouldn't profile Fuentes as a great closer. I think it'd be smart for a team that's not headed to a postseason very soon to deal Fuentes, before he gets closer money.

That said they'd be dumb to deal Helton because they wouldn't get much for him other than fewer fans....and they'd be really stupid if they traded Atkins this low. But, I don't think that would ever happen.

Fuentes is a very good closer...His only problem is hitting people letting up bombs but his era has been really good
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers