What are your thoughts on "Spot Starting" Pitchers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What are your thoughts on "Spot Starting" Pitchers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Spot Starting a Good or Bad Strategy?

Poll ended at Tue May 29, 2007 6:15 pm

Yes
81%
No
11%
Unfair
8%

Total votes : 53

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri May 25, 2007 1:32 pm

Dice wrote:My ratios were shot early on anyway, so I spot started in one of my leagues. Spot starts I've had this year:

Jarrod Washburn 1 GS 6.1 IP 8 H 1 ER 1 BB 2 K 1 W 1.42 ERA 1.42 WHIP
Shawn Hill 1 GS 6 IP 6 H 2 ER 3 BB 3 K 0 W 3.00 ERA 1.50 WHIP
Paul Byrd 1 GS 6.2 IP 6 H 1 ER 0 BB 3 K 0 W 1.35 ERA 0.90 WHIP
Matt Belisle 1 GS 7 IP 6 H 0 ER 1 BB 7 K 0 W 0.00 ERA 1.00 WHIP

Plus I've had multiple starts from Jon Garland, Kyle Lohse, and Sergio Mitre off the waiver wire. Every one but Lohse has been beneficial. I've been lucky.

The only research I do is to go to the
team offense stats to make sure their opponent is near the bottom third.[/url]

Paul Byrd is good PERIOD this year ;-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 5 » Fri May 25, 2007 1:44 pm

are we talking about spot starting? or are we talking about churning?

Say you have a bunch of pitchers on your team and choose not to start some of them against the Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, etc. That's a spot starting strategy that requires some skill (and luck of course, as with anything fantasy related)

Now if we're talking about playing H2H or some crazy no limit IP roto and you pick up a whole bunch of pitchers each day/week so you can take the W and K category, I'm with the guys that believe that churning is pretty weak and requires very minimal skill. That's why I don't bother with Yahoo H2H leagues anymore. The last time I played, I was forced to outchurn some 300 transaction guy once we met in the playoffs. Lame.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby djack909 » Fri May 25, 2007 3:16 pm

Two years ago I had 5 SPs DLd in 5x5 roto. And was left with Pedro in May. I picked up Contreas as a FA and spot started off the FA til Oct. and won the league. I think in 5x5 roto spot starting should only used in an emergency. I quess it can be a before hand tactic in other formats.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dice » Fri May 25, 2007 3:21 pm

5 wrote:are we talking about spot starting? or are we talking about churning?

Say you have a bunch of pitchers on your team and choose not to start some of them against the Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, etc. That's a spot starting strategy that requires some skill (and luck of course, as with anything fantasy related)

Now if we're talking about playing H2H or some crazy no limit IP roto and you pick up a whole bunch of pitchers each day/week so you can take the W and K category, I'm with the guys that believe that churning is pretty weak and requires very minimal skill. That's why I don't bother with Yahoo H2H leagues anymore. The last time I played, I was forced to outchurn some 300 transaction guy once we met in the playoffs. Lame.

I understand the term "churning" to be picking up and waiving players to keep other players from using them.

I understand the term "spot starting" to be picking up pitchers from the FA pool and giving them one start against a weak team and then waiving them.

I think that's how most people in this thread have used those terms.
www.csfbl.com Computer Simulated Fantasy Baseball League
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby abrage22 » Fri May 25, 2007 4:59 pm

That poll doesn't make ANY sense, but I answered anyways :-] , and what is spot starting anyways? :-? :-B
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby 5 » Fri May 25, 2007 6:10 pm

Dice wrote:
5 wrote:are we talking about spot starting? or are we talking about churning?

I understand the term "churning" to be picking up and waiving players to keep other players from using them.

I understand the term "spot starting" to be picking up pitchers from the FA pool and giving them one start against a weak team and then waiving them.

I think that's how most people in this thread have used those terms.

Ohhhh, thanks Dice. So churning is preventing other teams from picking up players? Yeah, that's weak too.

And what I was talking about...picking up a boatload of pitchers for H2H each day/week...is that referred to as streaming?
General Manager
General Manager

Postby M_Y_T_H » Fri May 25, 2007 7:04 pm

My most important league is H2H and I do pick up the occasional spot starter. It's usually when I am going to drop a player and I notice there is a good spot starting opportunity coming up. My ratios are consistently good, so I attempt not to ruin them.
M_Y_T_H
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers