What are your thoughts on "Spot Starting" Pitchers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What are your thoughts on "Spot Starting" Pitchers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Spot Starting a Good or Bad Strategy?

Poll ended at Tue May 29, 2007 6:15 pm

Yes
81%
No
11%
Unfair
8%

Total votes : 53

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri May 25, 2007 3:04 am

Churning is cheating, but they can't police it. There is clear language against it in the fair play and sportsmanship section. I don't mess with H2H baseball so I churning isn't as relevant as it is to some of you, but I think it is clear enough that it is definitely cheating.

As for spot-starting... if you aren't spot-starting, you aren't really playing. Why choose from only 9 matchups each week when you can choose from 45 or more?

Because your 5 pitchers are so much better than the 40 or 50 in FA that they will have better matchups than all those guys.

Roster size is only temporary. Use your player pool.
Last edited by CBMGreatOne on Fri May 25, 2007 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DVauthrin » Fri May 25, 2007 3:05 am

chipper wrote:
FantasyFreak wrote:Is there anything from yahoo that says churning is cheating? One of my friends in our leagues has been doing it for a long time. The worse part is that innings pitched is a category, plus theres 27 roster spots. He adds and drops 4 SP's that are starting the next day, plus he has 5 SP's he actually keeps on his team. There's no max innings or tranactions, so he's on pace to get about 500 transactions for the year. So basically he's won in Wins, Innings Pitched, and K's every week. This has to be cheating right...

You gotta beat him to the guys you want to add.

or you put a limit on transactions and don't have IP as a cat.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 13)

Postby ukrneal » Fri May 25, 2007 7:47 am

There will probably always be some element of spot starting. But when someone can churn 4 pitchers in and out every day, that tells me the league is too shallow and/or the rules too liberal.

Fantasy was never about spot starting. Imagine you had to keep track with paper and pencil!

Personally, I detest this strategy. It requires little knowledge if you are picking up Olsen, Vargas, Bonser and the like. In a deeper league, these types of guys would never be available and the remaining quality so questionable that the strategy would be truly risky.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby itodd » Fri May 25, 2007 8:58 am

if you're in Roto, having 3 dominating MR > middle-of-the-road-spot-starting, so I think its a bad strategy

if you're in Head-To-Head and can do daily changes, you should be fielding as many players as possible, so I don't see the crime in spot starting.
itodd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TDS-MN » Fri May 25, 2007 9:03 am

I think there's adifference between 'churning' and 'spot starting'.

I don't like to mess with my pitching roster much during the season typically. I'll make a few moves as required, but the way things have worked for me, once playoffs come around, you really need a way to add stats, and if you don't have any Sp's going that day, it's of to the FA pool to find someone that is, and looks like they have a favorable matchup.

I've read of people that pick up players, and them drop them to waivers, just so they won't be available for others to use. That, IMO is poor sportsmanship. I've been fortunate to not have seen that happen in my leagues so far. I guess I see it as a "do to others as you'd have done to you" deal.
TomS.
'12 H2H season standings:
Team 1 = 140 - 118 - 12, 4 OF 12
Team 2 = 84 - 97 - 9, 6 OF 8
TDS-MN Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fritzenhammer » Fri May 25, 2007 9:14 am

Churning = weak.

Spot starting, on the other hand, makes you look like a genius when successful - who wouldn't like that?

FH
Fritzenhammer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dice » Fri May 25, 2007 9:22 am

My ratios were shot early on anyway, so I spot started in one of my leagues. Spot starts I've had this year:

Jarrod Washburn 1 GS 6.1 IP 8 H 1 ER 1 BB 2 K 1 W 1.42 ERA 1.42 WHIP
Shawn Hill 1 GS 6 IP 6 H 2 ER 3 BB 3 K 0 W 3.00 ERA 1.50 WHIP
Paul Byrd 1 GS 6.2 IP 6 H 1 ER 0 BB 3 K 0 W 1.35 ERA 0.90 WHIP
Matt Belisle 1 GS 7 IP 6 H 0 ER 1 BB 7 K 0 W 0.00 ERA 1.00 WHIP

Plus I've had multiple starts from Jon Garland, Kyle Lohse, and Sergio Mitre off the waiver wire. Every one but Lohse has been beneficial. I've been lucky.

The only research I do is to go to the
team offense stats to make sure their opponent is near the bottom third.[/url]
www.csfbl.com Computer Simulated Fantasy Baseball League
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shawngee03 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:04 am

is there a different term used for A. starting certain pitchers w favorable matchups and B. starting every available SP just to rack up stats?

and does anyone object to either? and i personally think churning is wrong, but i might start implimenting it due to my teams sucking asss right now(bc we all know winning is more important than morals :) )
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bravesfan42 » Fri May 25, 2007 1:15 pm

It's a good strategy if you do it right, but of course it can go wrong just like any other strategy.
bravesfan42
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri May 25, 2007 1:30 pm

It can get annoying if you look up a pitcher you intend to pick up and then see that he's on the Waiver(instead of FA) because of spot starting. And it's especially frustrating in the playoffs.

In roto it's totally fair game, in H2H I only do it if the opponent is spot starting. Even if he's just doing a little bit of it on Monday, I'll sure show him by spot starting 2 guys every day and dominate K. In playoff weeks, I wouldn't even mind staying up a bit to pick up guys as early as possible. Sure, I have no life, but you can't kill who which have no life(south park quote, episode 1006) ;-)
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers