What are your thoughts on "Spot Starting" Pitchers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What are your thoughts on "Spot Starting" Pitchers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Spot Starting a Good or Bad Strategy?

Poll ended at Tue May 29, 2007 6:15 pm

Yes
81%
No
11%
Unfair
8%

Total votes : 53

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Thu May 24, 2007 9:43 pm

In one of my deep leagues its risky due to the lack of talent on the waiver wire. In my leagues with free agent dollars and max moves I dont use this strategy.
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 24, 2007 10:29 pm

CadensDad wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:its okay but it makes churning okay as well imo.

WHA? No way, churning and spot starting are way different. If you spot starting them you are taking a chance on the stats they will produce. When you church them you just stash them on the bench until the start then drop them just so noone else can get them. Thats cheating. Spot starting is legit.

It's be like a team like the Yankees signing a bunch of MLB players to contracts just to put them in the minors so no other team can have them

IMO its the best way to combat spot starters. Its within the rules and it can hamper you team due to using your roster spots to pick and dump pitchers, so its a risk. If its H2H and your spot starting against me, be prepared to be blocked by me churning you. Its the only time I do it and its not against the rules.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 134)

Postby shmolex » Thu May 24, 2007 10:40 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
CadensDad wrote:

WHA? No way, churning and spot starting are way different. If you spot starting them you are taking a chance on the stats they will produce. When you church them you just stash them on the bench until the start then drop them just so noone else can get them. Thats cheating. Spot starting is legit.

It's be like a team like the Yankees signing a bunch of MLB players to contracts just to put them in the minors so no other team can have them

IMO its the best way to combat spot starters. Its within the rules and it can hamper you team due to using your roster spots to pick and dump pitchers, so its a risk. If its H2H and your spot starting against me, be prepared to be blocked by me churning you. Its the only time I do it and its not against the rules.

I agree 100%. What am i supposed to do, let you automatically take W and K with a chance to take ERA and WHIP too? Heck no, if you spot start against me, expect the decent matchups to be gone.

It works out well since I figured out how to take 2 pitchers for every 1 free roster spot.
Last edited by shmolex on Thu May 24, 2007 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ndirish84 » Thu May 24, 2007 10:42 pm

sorry guys... but what's churning?????
ndirish84 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rounders » Thu May 24, 2007 11:19 pm

I'd have to say 'yes', it is a good or bad strategy. in fact, i'll go on a limb and say that it's good. I've done it the last 2 years, and have won several leagues with this strategy.
In my 14 team league this year, I left the draft with Halladay, Wang, and Jennings as my starters, and 4 closers (but they were Ryan, Gordon, and Wickman). With spot starts I have 10 pts in ERA, 12 in WHIP, 11 in Wins, but unfortunately only 4 in Ks (I am down in 3rd to last in innings). I've done research on this strategy and have found out that it can be very effective. My strategy going into a draft is to use my first 9 picks on a couple good closers and the rest hitters (unless I feel a pitcher drops much further than he should). I've found that with using spot starts you can still get about 2/3 of the points available. But the key is that you've loaded up on your hitting and have a couple good closers to help your ERA and Whip and give you a good number of saves.
If you do use this strategy, I also suggest using middle relievers with good K/9 ratios. Where this strategy hurts is Ks because the middle of the road pitchers can give you a good ERA and WHIP (if played in the right matchup), but they can't get you the same amount of strikeouts that a top of the line pitcher can get you. A middle reliever or 2 will help your ERA, WHIP, and will get you a good amount of Ks if you can get 150 innings or so out of a couple of them (they can also salvage some wins).
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rounders » Thu May 24, 2007 11:22 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
CadensDad wrote:

May be within the rules, but it's definitely shady. I don't agree with picking up players that you have no intention to use. And I'm glad Yahoo has tried to combat this by not putting players on waivers that are picked up and dropped in the same day. Also, Yahoo preaches against churning in their "good sportsmanship" section.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri May 25, 2007 1:27 am

i think spot starting can be good, but i think its harder earlier in the season.
im keeping my max IP limit down and im planning on spot starting some in the 2nd half when i can look at pitchers home/away day/night splits, aswell as other pitching stats like recent starts, record vs opponents, or opponents who are struggling/bad vs LH/RH pitching.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 74)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Fri May 25, 2007 1:31 am

Yes, it is a strategy and it is either good or bad. I say bad in a Micheal Jackson kind of way. Nice poll question. :*)
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 25, 2007 1:46 am

Is there anything from yahoo that says churning is cheating? One of my friends in our leagues has been doing it for a long time. The worse part is that innings pitched is a category, plus theres 27 roster spots. He adds and drops 4 SP's that are starting the next day, plus he has 5 SP's he actually keeps on his team. There's no max innings or tranactions, so he's on pace to get about 500 transactions for the year. So basically he's won in Wins, Innings Pitched, and K's every week. This has to be cheating right...
FantasyFreak
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chipper » Fri May 25, 2007 2:28 am

FantasyFreak wrote:Is there anything from yahoo that says churning is cheating? One of my friends in our leagues has been doing it for a long time. The worse part is that innings pitched is a category, plus theres 27 roster spots. He adds and drops 4 SP's that are starting the next day, plus he has 5 SP's he actually keeps on his team. There's no max innings or tranactions, so he's on pace to get about 500 transactions for the year. So basically he's won in Wins, Innings Pitched, and K's every week. This has to be cheating right...

You gotta beat him to the guys you want to add.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers