What are your thoughts on "Spot Starting" Pitchers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What are your thoughts on "Spot Starting" Pitchers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Spot Starting a Good or Bad Strategy?

Poll ended at Tue May 29, 2007 6:15 pm

Yes
81%
No
11%
Unfair
8%

Total votes : 53

What are your thoughts on "Spot Starting" Pitchers?

Postby EWSPECIALTY » Thu May 24, 2007 6:15 pm

I was thinking about letting go of capuano and using the free roster spot to do some spot starting. I've heard some good things about it, but i've also heard some negative things about it. Especially from other owners in other leagues that don't like it at all.

I think its good idea at a strategic stand point if you have the roster spot to use. Especially if one of your pitchers is just mediocre with a tough schedule coming up and a average team behind him. I figure if you can grab the same type pitcher but left handed and play him against a team that is terrible hitting left handers and have an above average offence behind him, you get a higher chance for a win & strikeout ratio/count.

Is that really just thinking to far into it. I can't help it though, fantasy baseball has become my release from the stress of work and what not, when i'm winning at least.
EWSPECIALTY Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pablo975 » Thu May 24, 2007 6:21 pm

If done right, spot starting pitchers can be a solid short term strategy, but you need a good eye for pitching stats and a gamblers' gut. I wouldn't make a year long strategy out of it.

A couple of bad picks and your ratios can be severely hurt. A couple of good ones and you've gotten great mileage out of zero investment.

I started Claudio Vargas a couple of times and Contreras once this year and got great results. Other spots....ummmm....not so much.

I try to use it as a good way to fill in for DLd pitchers or to nudge a few extra points in a category over someone. You never know when you're good performances can make someone "blink" and panic and do something stupid.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Drunken Rhino » Thu May 24, 2007 6:26 pm

I've been using it quite effectively in a mixed 10 team league where guys like Vargas, Olsen, Cliff Lee and Boof Bonser are available for spot starts. I use it for my fringe guys. Heck, some of my spotters have become starters like james shields.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NYYANKEEZ25 » Thu May 24, 2007 6:50 pm

Its part of fantasy, it makes it more stragetic.
"winners make the rules, losers follow them."

rate my team!!!
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2216480#2216480
NYYANKEEZ25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 24, 2007 7:23 pm

its okay but it makes churning okay as well imo.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby NZF » Thu May 24, 2007 7:28 pm

It's something I've always done. I not only enjoy the challenge of it but it also allows you the luxury of only drafting 3 maybe 4 fulltime SP in standard leagues and concentrating more on hitters.

In the Cafe Challenge League in which we have more than the usual number of bench spots, I lost Myers early in the season which gave me just 3 fulltime SP's. Haren, Hudson and Halladay. With Halladay on the DL I've spent the past month or so spot starting almost daily.

There are decent options in all standard leagues to use and you can often unearth a hidden gem that ends up on your roster permanently. With good management, your spot starters can give u decent 3rd - 4th SP numbers.

I've made 15 spots starts to date, 12 of which have been quality starts but only have 5 wins to show for it. ERA 3.9 Whip 1.18 K's 64 in 90.2 IP. They are better than 3rd SP numbers.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CadensDad » Thu May 24, 2007 7:29 pm

Havok1517 wrote:its okay but it makes churning okay as well imo.

WHA? No way, churning and spot starting are way different. If you spot starting them you are taking a chance on the stats they will produce. When you church them you just stash them on the bench until the start then drop them just so noone else can get them. Thats cheating. Spot starting is legit.

It's be like a team like the Yankees signing a bunch of MLB players to contracts just to put them in the minors so no other team can have them

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu May 24, 2007 7:44 pm

I say yes. How can you possibly say unfair?

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby trev311 » Thu May 24, 2007 8:18 pm

depends on what kind of pitchers are on waivers. If its a shallow league, then yes it is a good idea, but if you're considering starting someone like jeff weaver, then no
trev311
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Legia13 » Thu May 24, 2007 8:22 pm

I say it definetly makes fantasy more strategic and fun. You have to chose a pitcher to start out of a pool of pitchers who do not belong on fulltime rosters. But just because they don't belong on rosters, does not mean that they will not throw decent games or even gems. The fun comes in while trying to locate that one pitcher who on that one day will throw the best game. One has to consider matchups and recent history.

love it ;-D
Legia13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers