Jeff Francis(I'm serious) - Merged - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeff Francis(I'm serious) - Merged

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stumpak » Tue May 29, 2007 11:00 am

This thread goes to prove that many people are still dismissive of Rockies pitchers for no good reason. Coors is a hitter's park, but far less so than it was before. Would you not consider Francis just because he pitched in Philly or Comiskey? The differences between those parks and Coors are negligable. And, as pointed out previously, Francis did not exactly suffer in Coors last season.

In deep leagues, Francis was a great buy low candidate after his poor start. I see no reason that he cannot keep up his sub 4.00 ERA for the rest fo the season and be a good #5 starter in 12+ team leagues. And it could be better than this. He does have a poor K rate, but you can still do much worse.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 29, 2007 11:27 am

stumpak wrote:This thread goes to prove that many people are still dismissive of Rockies pitchers for no good reason. Coors is a hitter's park, but far less so than it was before. Would you not consider Francis just because he pitched in Philly or Comiskey? The differences between those parks and Coors are negligable. And, as pointed out previously, Francis did not exactly suffer in Coors last season.

In deep leagues, Francis was a great buy low candidate after his poor start. I see no reason that he cannot keep up his sub 4.00 ERA for the rest fo the season and be a good #5 starter in 12+ team leagues. And it could be better than this. He does have a poor K rate, but you can still do much worse.

Francis is a funny pitcher to watch throw. He doesn't K alot of people. I assume his ball has tons of movement because he doesn't throw that hard either.

The kid knows how to pitch. He reminds me of a lefty greg maddux type
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 29, 2007 11:50 am

To understand Francis' development, think of a puzzle and a clock. Todd Helton, though he sat out Monday, said the conversations at first base have become telling this season. A parade of opponents in May - when the left- hander posted a 2.23 ERA - was unable to put the pieces together against Francis.

"The hitters say: 'We don't know what's happening. We can't figure this guy out,"' Helton said. "A lot of times, they will say a guy has great stuff. But when they start saying things like that, you know he's reached the point where he's a good pitcher."
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Jeff Francis

Postby akula » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:08 pm

he is having 5 quality starts in a row..he said he is getting his command and control back..is he for real?
akula
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby converge241 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:16 pm

"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby converge241 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:17 pm

Another good start tonight ;-D
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby bigken117 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:18 pm

Hop on board. Tonight is his 6th start in a row in which he's gone more than 7 IP and given up 2 or less ER.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby just a bit outside » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:49 pm

In his last 4 Home starts he is 3-0 with a 1.80 ERA ;-D
Struck out 6 tonight which is a good sign.
just a bit outside
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:17 pm

stumpak wrote:This thread goes to prove that many people are still dismissive of Rockies pitchers for no good reason. Coors is a hitter's park, but far less so than it was before. Would you not consider Francis just because he pitched in Philly or Comiskey? The differences between those parks and Coors are negligable. And, as pointed out previously, Francis did not exactly suffer in Coors last season.

The reason I wouldn't trust Francis to be too good is because of his low K rate, not his home park. However, as a #5 starter, I agree with you that he'd be totally respectable. I also like the Carmona comparison mentioned earlier - obviously, Francis isn't the same kind of pitcher as Carmona, but both are pitchers with low K ratios who hit some nice hot streaks. Like Carmona, I'd definitely ride Francis during this hot streak. However, unlike Carmona, he's probably worth keeping around after he cools off to serve as a #4 or #5 because his K rate is a bit higher than Carmona's, which means that he won't totally screw you over in the strikeout category like Carmona would.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers