The new improved politics thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The new improved politics thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Arlo » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:50 am

I realize that politics is a very touchy subject, especially these days, and I admit that I can also get steamed when discussing the topic, but the Cafe's standards of civilized discussion do still apply. Please adhere to them. Thank you.

Y's Guy wrote:Speaking of drinking...before I get too entrenched in this place I should know this: Does this cafe serve beer? Or is it some nouveau-chic coffee kinda place?

I gots to know.

Ok, the important question first: Beer is good. Coffee is good. Soda is good. Your choice. :-)

Erboes wrote:Did our founding fathers ask "permission" from France to kick the snot out of England?

Well, you could phrase it differently, but basically yes. ;-)

Siege1386 wrote:In response to a Global Warming picture I saw earlier; the hole in ozone layer is actually shrinking and the pollution that we emit into the air is actually very similar to the constant volcanic erruptions and harsh enviroment of early earth. There is evidence that Global Warming is not a threat, but actually a trend that will occur and dissappear as it did in the past.

There are a lot of political questions that I'll readily admit to not knowing too much about (a lot of economic issues come to mind :-) ), but this is one where I do have an inkling or two, and these comments are simply misguided.

Sure, the ozone hole is shrinking, but that doesn't really have much to do with global warming, does it? Unless you mean that global warming is slowing the rate of ozone recovery, which is true enough. And the reason it's shrinking is that we didn't lean back and say, "this is not a threat." The entire world not only realized that having those holes up there in the stratosphere isn't a great idea, but decided to do something about it.

Evidence that global warming isn't a threat? I'd truly love to see that. Honestly. I'd feel a lot better.

Unfortunately, that evidence doesn't exist. Certainly, climate change in the past was a natural process (which, incidentally, doesn't mean it isn't a threat), but what's happening today is something completely different.

And I'm amazed that similarities between the emissions that we're pumping into the air and volcanic gases from the earth's early days would reassure anyone. Think about it for a minute... 8-o

I think one of the problems with politics these days is that the extreme divisiveness between the parties causes us to overlook the fact that there are many, many issues that we should basically all be able to agree on, and probably do agree on. This is one of them. We need to get back to Kyoto, and deal with the problem just like we dealt with ozone (although it might not be so easy this time). And I have a feeling that if we put partisanship aside for just a moment, we'll all be able to agree on that.

That's just one issue. There are more.

Just a thought.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Erboes » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:21 am

Both sides vented, so now can we lock this? I get posts locked for mentioning body parts, now I think a rule of thumb is to lock anything that mentions the words, Bush, Iraq, Liberal, baby-killers, tree-huggers, or Walt Whitman (I hated reading that guy in college). Now let's start talking about some important things, like Rotobabes!
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:30 am

Erboes wrote:Both sides vented, so now can we lock this? I get posts locked for mentioning body parts, now I think a rule of thumb is to lock anything that mentions the words Walt Whitman (I hated reading that guy in college). Now let's start talking about some important things, like Rotobabes!

lmao .. ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Postby wrveres » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:35 am

And thank you for finally moving this Arlo ... ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Postby Madison » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:16 am

Wow. 8-o

All of this in about 13 hours? 8-o

Guess no more nights off for me. Lol. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:13 pm

Yes I am the "guest" who posted the "controversial" one-liner about voting for bush on fantasybaseballcafe.com and I must say i am shocked at how personally many of you regulars took it. I know it's not related ot baseball but I thought it was quite funny. Maybe all of you "funny" guys who wrote baseball posts about peeps earlier in the day should enlighten me on what I did wrong.

And please don't debate politics with me in your response dittoheads, I'm not in the mood.

p.s. I do promise to never post another non-baseball related topic again. Sorry for all the drama.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:29 pm

I think that the problem was in wishing for their deaths. Honestly, since we've got this divider (not uniter) in the white house, we the people need to stand up together.

On a personal note: Bush's approval rating is falling fast. Swing voters are beginning to see the atrocities that he's committed. Calling republicans names and wishing for their deaths isn't going to win any converts. We've got all the facts on our side. We don't need to resort to that sort of thing. Leave that up to the Bill O'Reilly's of the world.

And register.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby djacks » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:13 pm

"Us Teachers Vote Democrat"

Please don't lump all of us educators into that group...some of us are smart enough to think for ourselves and ignore our liberal college proffesors and all their rhetoric...unfortunately I'm probably in the minority of teachers... :-/
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j7 » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:11 pm

i've read through this entire thread and have to say, i agree with everything Jivedude has said. Its mostly common sense if you don't believe everything you see on tv. I think we live in a world where the Democrats are Republicans and and the Republicans are on steroids (with very short tempers)
j7
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j7 » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:37 pm

oh.. and these are for everyone who posted in this thread

http://wfmu.org/listen.ram?show=10203&a ... me=3:07:10

http://wfmu.org/listen.ram?show=10203&a ... me=3:19:31

http://wfmu.org/listen.ram?show=10203&a ... me=3:25:42

(2nd one is good... 3rd one is only 30 sec [short and sweet] }:-) )
j7
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk