Your first fantasy baseball picks and transactions ... EVER - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your first fantasy baseball picks and transactions ... EVER

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri May 25, 2007 11:18 am

i remember one of my first team was auto picked and i saw some pitcher named roberto hernandez on my roster and didn't know who he was so i dropped him. i found out later that he was the KC closer and he was picked for a reason i had no idea about the value of closers, i'm not sure i even knew what a save was back then.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Fri May 25, 2007 11:22 am

shawngee03 wrote:last year was my first year, and even though it wasnt me, its still pretty funny.

some guy who was also new had a tip that Gary Bennett(back up C for STL) was going to have a breakout year. so he took him in the with his first pick. of course he never played and we teased him about it all year.

so this year we initially named our league "Gary Bennett for MVP"

When searching for walk-off homers I noticed he hit a walk off grand slam so I guess he had that going for him. Did you get an I told you so after that one?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby shawngee03 » Fri May 25, 2007 1:56 pm

no i told you so, i didnt even know he ever played. but he did keep him for most of teh season out of spite
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 25, 2007 2:14 pm

When I was first learning about fantasy it was through a friend of the family who was playing via snail mail, and I can't remember for the life of me who our picks were, etc. but I do remember some of the players on our team... Mike Piazza, Dante Bichette, Chuck Finley, Al Leiter, Henry Rodriguez...

I also remember during one of my earlier Sandbox Roto leagues having the entire Kansas City Outfield: Damon, Dye, and Beltran. It was either in '98 or '99. I think '99. Either way I finished like 9th of 12 teams.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby Y`s Guy » Fri May 25, 2007 2:38 pm

Auction draft with a $260. It was my turn to nominate a player. I may have been the third manager to nominate. I chose Albert Belle for...$50!! Needless to say I got him for $50 and he led me to my only auction league title ever. Getting Doug Henry as a $1 FAABer also cemented that title.

I also still hate Glenn Davis who ruined me one season. And man, did I have an Eric Anthony mancrush back then. I think if he came out of retirement I would blow a #1 WW pick on him. 8-o
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Curtis Pride » Fri May 25, 2007 2:42 pm

First fantasy baseball draft in my life: 1999 - Yahoo public

Drafted Pedro in the first round. Also drafted Larry Walker and Roberto Alomar.

I ended up destroying the rest of my league, and finished 3rd overall in all of Yahoo.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby fezzik » Fri May 25, 2007 2:50 pm

Mike Piazza back when no other catcher was comparable to him offensively...at the end of the first round...I remember people were making fun of me for drafting a ton of offensive to start my first draft, and I ended up winning the league...I guess I had it right after all. :-°
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby CheeseBeger » Fri May 25, 2007 3:48 pm

I remember the first year I played I did Sandbox.com fantasy points league. My first move was to pick up the newly added Ichiro off the waivers.

The only other thing I remember from that year is I had Jeff D'Amico when he won about 10 straight starts.

And I would like to mention I stayed away from Roger Clemens because I felt he was "Getting up there in age"
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby LiveForever » Fri May 25, 2007 3:55 pm

Had the first overall pick, took A-Rod. Traded Bret Boone and Adam Dunn for Raul Mondesi and Manny Ramirez. It actually wasn't that good of move, Manny had a down year for Manny and Boone stayed on the juice all season. Dunn also batted like .215 that season as well.
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers