Vicente Padilla??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vicente Padilla???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vicente Padilla???

Postby EugeneStyles » Fri May 10, 2002 10:08 pm

How about this guy? 9 innings of 2-hit shutout ball against the Diamondbacks to improve his record to 5-2. A no-hitter through 7. 110 pitches through 9. Where did this guy come from? I picked him up early in one of my leagues, but missed out in two others. Is he for real? Should I trade him before he bombs? Opinions?

On a completely unrelated note... the team in my 4x4 league that had Peter Bergeron as a starting outfielder finally released him. I was beginning to think that I was crazy, and maybe *I* needed a .170 hitting outfielder on *my* team. Wait a minute... hmm... maybe I should pick him up... %-6
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mktgteach » Fri May 10, 2002 10:20 pm

Last year the Phillies knew that their pitching rotation was going to receive some help. They had Duckworth and Padilla in the minors. Both came up at the end of the year last year. This year Padilla has had the better numbers year, but both will continue to do well with the Phillies. If the Phillies bats can come alive like they did last year, then both of these starters should have solid years. With Robert Person ailing and the inconsistency of Randy Wolf, Padilla might emerge as this team's unoffical ace.

However, if another team is going to offer you a veteran stud pitcher in exchange for Padilla, then it is worth thinking about. Like all pitchers, hitters will figure him out, and he will have to make adjustments. However, Padilla has alot of upside to him, so I would just sit back and enjoy your pitcher.
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Arlo » Sat May 11, 2002 5:39 am

(Agree with mktgteach)

Go grab Bergeron! Oh, wait... never mind :-P
Anybody else surprised by just how bad he's looked?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby EugeneStyles » Sat May 11, 2002 12:26 pm

Well, about Bergeron... he *does* have 10 steals. If I was really hurting for steals (I'm not, with Tony Womack, Junior Spivey, and Danny Bautista providing me with some, and scattered bits from other members of my team who should start getting more SB before the year is out), I might pick him up, but the hurt he can put on your batting average, combined with absolutely no production in HR's or RBI's is just a high price to pay.

Maybe in a league that counted on-base percentage...
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Return to Baseball Leftovers