60-year old woman gives birth to twins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

60-year old woman gives birth to twins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

60-year old woman gives birth to twins

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 24, 2007 2:01 pm

60-Year-Old Woman Gives Birth To Twins
N.J. Psychologist Says She Wants Women To Feel Empowered To Pursue Goals Despite Age

HACKENSACK, N.J., May 24, 2007
(CBS/AP) A 60-year-old New Jersey psychologist gave birth to two boys Tuesday, making her possibly the oldest woman ever to deliver twins in the United States.

Frieda Birnbaum gave birth to "Baby A" at 12:44 p.m. and "Baby B" a minute later by Caesarean section at Hackensack University Medical Center, hospital spokeswoman Nancy Radwin said. The twins each weighed 4 pounds, 11 ounces, she said.

Birnbaum told CBS' The Early Show co-anchor Hannah Storm that age and longevity were not considerations for her. "I didn't know I was that old. And then I'm looking at the media and seeing '60-year-old woman.' I said, 'That's me?' Because I don't know what age means, you know? I feel like a 40-year-old."

"It's being defined as something incredible. I'm not doing anything incredible; my energy, my pregnancy, my delivery — there were no complications.

Birnbaum, a psychologist from Saddle River, underwent in-vitro fertilization last year in Cape Town, South Africa, at a center that specializes in older women. She and her husband, Ken, a New York attorney, have been married for 38 years.

"I suppose age has been redefined, hopefully," she told Storm, admitting that her television appearance was in part to let other women know that "if they feel like it and they feel young enough, go do whatever it is you want to do. It's about empowerment for women."

Birnbaum was not concerned by the fact that she would be 80 when her twin boys attend college. "My parents both lived on into their 90s," she said. "My father was 92; my mother was 89. They were mentally sound. And they'd both be alive [today] if not for medical negligence. So we've had no problems with that decision, as far as longevity is concerned."

She said she and her husband wanted their 6 ½-year-old boy to have siblings of a comparable age. (They have two older children — a son, 33, and a daughter, 29).

Coincidentally, Tuesday was the birthday of twins born one year ago to a 59-year-old woman — also to a New Jersey woman. Lauren Cohen gave birth to Gregory and Giselle on May 22, 2006, at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia.

Cohen said Birnbaum contacted her after seeing her name in a magazine and that the two quickly became friends.

"We talked about babies; I suggested things that would be helpful when you try to feed two babies simultaneously," Cohen said.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Thu May 24, 2007 3:10 pm

Birnbaum told CBS' The Early Show co-anchor Hannah Storm that age and longevity were not considerations for her. "I didn't know I was that old. And then I'm looking at the media and seeing '60-year-old woman.' I said, 'That's me?'

Sounds like Alheimer's to me. :-b
Last edited by StlSluggers on Thu May 24, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby DbacksRback » Thu May 24, 2007 3:10 pm

ew??? 8-o

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby CheeseBeger » Thu May 24, 2007 5:28 pm

It sure would stink if your mother died when you were 8 years old of "old age."
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Thu May 24, 2007 10:02 pm

Well atleast they got an older brother and sister to look out for them. :-b
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Postby LukeW9027 » Thu May 24, 2007 10:32 pm

:-P :-P
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby soxfan364 » Thu May 24, 2007 10:55 pm

My wife and I had twins (well she had them) at age 35....and I thought that was tough (and too old!)
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Coppermine » Fri May 25, 2007 9:52 am

Doesn't this happen about once or twice a year? It's getting old I think... well, not the stories so much as the old ladies popping out kids. With fertility drugs and better healthcare, I guess it makes sense.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Fri May 25, 2007 11:00 am

I saw the lady on the Today Show. Her face was so pumped full of botox that it barely moved when she talked. After hearing what she had to say, it seems to me this whole thing was some sort of selfish, vain act to say "look at me!" She said she hopes this empowers women. Huh? Look, they tell woman your age to not have kids for fairly valid medical reasons. The doctors aren't trying to suppress women's rights here. She's an idiot.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Coppermine » Fri May 25, 2007 11:06 am

ironman wrote:I saw the lady on the Today Show. Her face was so pumped full of botox that it barely moved when she talked. After hearing what she had to say, it seems to me this whole thing was some sort of selfish, vain act to say "look at me!" She said she hopes this empowers women. Huh? Look, they tell woman your age to not have kids for fairly valid medical reasons. The doctors aren't trying to suppress women's rights here. She's an idiot.

Yeah, women are now empowered to get pregnant. Hurray.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to General Talk