Myers hurt.... but for how long? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Myers hurt.... but for how long?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ivanhack » Fri May 25, 2007 3:20 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:
ivanhack wrote:
jtbarr wrote:Interesting. Well, I've been looking for a reason to pick up Jason Jennings for his 2-start return week next week. If, by Monday, it looks very bad for Myers, I may just cut him. A already have 3 other closers on my team and Hughes on the DL so it might happen.

Such is life in fantasyland.

Don't cut Myers unless (until?) it's official that he has to have Tommy John surgery.

Am I missing something? Tommy John is done on the elbow not the shoulder right? And Myers is out w/ a shoulder injury right?

Yes, you're right, Tommy John is specifically surgery on the elbow. My bad.

If he has a torn rotator cuff he would surely be out for several months.
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ivanhack » Fri May 25, 2007 3:22 pm

wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_John_surgery

Tommy John surgery, known by doctors as ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction (or UCL), is a surgical procedure in which a ligament in the medial elbow is replaced with a ligament from elsewhere in the body (often from the forearm, hamstring, knee, or foot of the patient). The surgery is named after Tommy John, a pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers who was the first professional athlete to successfully undergo the operation in 1974. The procedure was performed by Dr. Frank Jobe.

Chances of a complete recovery after surgery are estimated today at 85 to 90 percent. At the time of Tommy John's operation, Jobe put his odds at 1 in 100. After his surgery in 1974, John spent 18 months rehabilitating his arm, returned for the 1976 season, and went on to pitch in the major leagues until 1989 at age 46. Today, the procedure takes about an hour. Full rehabilitation takes about a year for pitchers and about six months for position players. Usually, pitchers who have the surgery can get their full range of motion back after about two months and can start doing weight exercises. For the next four months, they can increase the weight that they use and start doing exercises that emphasize all parts of their arm. After six months, they can begin a throwing program.

It is not uncommon today for pitchers to throw harder after the surgery than they did before the injury that caused the surgery to be necessary. However, this results not because of the surgery itself, but from the rigorous rehabilitation that ensues following surgery.

Today, the injury and eventual surgery are becoming more common in children ranging from 10-18 due to increased season length and the more frequent use of breaking pitches by young pitchers. Children have an additional risk factor because of the growth plates in young bones. An orthopedic surgeon from the Kerlan-Jobe clinic recommends that young pitchers throw fewer pitches as a way to avoid developing an injury requiring the Tommy John surgery.

A torn elbow ligament — the most common cause of what was simply called "dead arm injury" during most of the 20th century — can be caused by a number of things, but the injury is most common in pitchers and the most frequent cause is throwing too hard or overwork.
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rileysrompers » Fri May 25, 2007 5:01 pm

rileysrompers
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SirGrotius » Sat May 26, 2007 10:19 am

Yeah, placed on the DL.

This was his explanation (I'm not making this up):

"It was our 23rd road game, their 23rd home game. It was the 23rd [of May]. I saw the movie ['The Number 23']. The guy came on the radio and said our record would have been 23-23. I realized, 'Man, this is messed up'...Two divided into 3 equals 666. That's supposed to be the number of the devil." Myers
SirGrotius
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AdvRider » Sat May 26, 2007 10:31 am

SirGrotius wrote:"It was our 23rd road game, their 23rd home game. It was the 23rd [of May]. I saw the movie ['The Number 23']. The guy came on the radio and said our record would have been 23-23. I realized, 'Man, this is messed up'...Two divided into 3 equals 666. That's supposed to be the number of the devil." Myers

I thought that was Alfonseca's 1.69 WHIP.... :-?

Seriously, do you have a link for that quote?
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby AdvRider » Sat May 26, 2007 10:42 am

AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby clevername » Mon May 28, 2007 5:38 pm

anyone heard an update on Myers' condition?
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby MVP Weedman Favre » Mon May 28, 2007 6:38 pm

If this injury of Myers is really bad I might as well pick up Guarado maybe he will become a closer in Cincy.
MVP Weedman Favre
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates